Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else here use a CPAP at night? Have you given much thought on taking it off if there is a bump in the night? When one of the kids wakes me up for something I find myself fumbling for the button to turn it off, peeling the mask off, and then trying to clear my ears. They always feel a bit stuffy after using my CPAP. This has given me a little pause on what would I do if I had to respond to a threat. Curious what other users think or if they have a plan.

·
Super Moderator
18,255 Posts
In an emergency I would just pull off the mask and not worry about turning off the CPAP until the situation was resolved. Leaving the machine on will just show up as a leak and will not cause any damage to the machine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My concern with that is the sound it would make might cover up the BG movements and it would alert him to where I'm at and that I know something is up.

·
Registered
42,342 Posts
The CPAP saved my life, literally. My Apnea is that bad (Setting=15).

If you feel your machine makes too much noise, there are many quieter models out there. The sound of the machine is not going to cover up the sound of you getting up and out of bed. In an emergency (or a rush to the bathroom) I just pull the mask out and up. It's off just that fast.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I don't use one, but I would think if the BG hears it and is intent on doing you harm, he would go toward the sound of the CPAP. Of course, you are not there. You are in a defensive position watching the BG attack your CPAP.

·
Super Moderator
18,255 Posts
My concern with that is the sound it would make might cover up the BG movements and it would alert him to where I'm at and that I know something is up.
Mine is set at six and if I leave it on I cannot hear it once I leave the room.

Reactions: BeefyG

·
Registered
42,342 Posts
The image of an armed citizen with a CPAP mask on would be extra frightening to a bad guy!

"Holy crap! I tried to rob that house and Darth Vader came at me with a gun!"
If the mask were black, you wouldn't be far off in that.

My problem is more of waking up to hear a BG. I nearly sleep like teh dead.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'm supposed to be wearing one. But I just simply cannot sleep on my back. I tried doing it for 2 weeks straight and all that happened was I had no sleep for 2 weeks. Don't know what I would do if I was wearing it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I used a CPAP for about a year 5 years ago. The one I had was really quiet and I had no trouble hearing things at night ---- with this exception, I slept so well with that machine that I was really, really asleep so I didn't wake very often. Then I had some nose surgery and lost some weight and didn't need it any more.

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
Anyone else here use a CPAP at night? Have you given much thought on taking it off if there is a bump in the night? When one of the kids wakes me up for something I find myself fumbling for the button to turn it off, peeling the mask off, and then trying to clear my ears. They always feel a bit stuffy after using my CPAP. This has given me a little pause on what would I do if I had to respond to a threat. Curious what other users think or if they have a plan.
Yep, I use a CPAP. But I can slip mine off pretty easily with just one hand if I need to - found that out one night when the dogs put up a fuss in the wee hours.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I've used a BiPAP since 06/2006 (#14/8lbs) and my machine is very quiet. FWIW, I have been awakened by a "Bump in the Night". Shutting off the BiPAP, removing the mask, and acquiring my handgun & flashlight is not a problem. Turing the machine off & removing the mask is easy to do. I sleep so much better with the BiPAP and am very thankful to have it.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I have my mask on mine is quiet. My concern was the noise it would make with the mask off where you can hear the blowing air. Am I the only one who gets stuffy ears from using it?

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
The image of an armed citizen with a CPAP mask on would be extra frightening to a bad guy!

Panic stricken BG to Accomplice: "Dude's gonna throw gas."

·
Registered
42,342 Posts

·
Registered
42,342 Posts
I'm supposed to be wearing one. But I just simply cannot sleep on my back. I tried doing it for 2 weeks straight and all that happened was I had no sleep for 2 weeks. Don't know what I would do if I was wearing it.
Sleep on your side.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts

Agreed. My elderly FIL lives with us, I was here when the CPAP tech came out to help him get set up initially. I walked in the room where they were, and my FIL had the mouth/nose piece strapped on with that long serrated hose hanging off of it. I told him don't EVER walk into my room at night wearing that rig. :rofl:

J/K of course, I know it helps a lot of people.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts