Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been interested into looking into CQC training & the various aspects around it. For example being used is a SD situation when you're life is on the line & you're opponent is more skilled than you in the art of combat, at that point you would be at a major disadvantage. So I'm curious to know what you think about it & if you have any particular training at all? Personally I would like to find a organization that is located in my area & hopefully be able to train with them. I'm still looking around though hopefully I'll find something.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I took a course in Virginia two months ago (link below) for the exact same reasons that you mention. My goal is to be much more proficient and capable in a home invasion type scenario. I tried the CCJA guys based on price and some positive reviews that I found. What I quickly learned is that their value far exceeds the cost of the course. Every instructor had real combat experience where they did these things for real, and on a regular basis.

The training was very realistic and intense, and it really changed both my perspective on what works and techniques that work. It was time and money very well spent, and from PA is probably about a half-day drive. I definitely will be going back again soon.

http://www.commonwealthcriminaljusticeacademy.com/courses-training/entry-level-room-clearing.pdf

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ive done both MCMAPS and Krav Maga. Both are awesome and I feel are necessary. Especially in a home where you will probably be more confined as opposed to a parking lot.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If you're looking for more hand-to-hand skills you might want to look at Target Focus Training (Self Defense Training | Tim Larkin | Martial Arts Training - Target Focus Training) They have videos you can begin your training with (it's very straight forward - my wife and kids practice this with me and have become pretty effective), and then classes every month or two (usually Las Vegas). I've taken other martial arts over the years and this is by far the quickest way that I've found to learn effective techniques.

·
Premium Member
37,427 Posts
You still going to ECQ this fall? Our martial arts instructor also signed up.
Absolutely. I'm looking forward to meeting you there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts