Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here have any experience with guns having Creakote on them? I have really been thinking about having one of my older guns done along with some new sights etc. I am not going to do it. It will be done by a professional company specializing in guns. Just curious as to cleaning and how well it holds up to wear. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Here's some work I had done on an old police trade Beretta 92.

IMG_0185.jpg

As to wear, I haven't carried that one since I had it done. I did have a Sig P6 that I had the frame and controls done on, and it wore just fine. Cerakote is a pretty durable finish. Many OEM's use it on their FDE and OD green pistols, so I'd guess wear on it isn't any more of an issue than traditional finishes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had my colt agent done. The bluing was gone so i had to do something. My local gunsmith did it and it turned out great. I wear it without a holster so it is directly against my skin and sweat. It gets wet from fishing too. A wipe down with an oily rag from time to time and it like new. I love it and will not hesitate to do it again when my other guns show wear. Next is my savage rifle.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,190 Posts
Here's some work I had done on an old police trade Beretta 92.

View attachment 142297

As to wear, I haven't carried that one since I had it done... Cerakote is a pretty durable finish. Many OEM's use it on their FDE and OD green pistols, so I'd guess wear on it isn't any more of an issue than traditional finishes.
Nice, Ian!

I got one of the Italian M92s police trade-ins a while back. Might have to consider doing something like that to mine! :yup:

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
887 Posts
What is an average cost of having Cerakote done?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I paid $40 extra for the coating, he had to replace all the springs and deep clean and polish the action, so he already had it torn down.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
What is an average cost of having Cerakote done?
My local guy charges $150 for the entire pistol, in any color combo I want. $75 for the frame, same for a slide.

Here's an AR he did for a local shop. This job was around $350 IIRC.

12928403_1299823976711096_7694108518698656613_n.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,190 Posts
I had the slide of my Shield done last year. I forget how much I paid. I like the job they did, except I have noticed lately that there is starting to be a little holster wear near the muzzle.

View attachment 142305 View attachment 142313
Ouch!

Don't worry, Paul. No one could stand to look at that long enough to notice the holster wear! :lolp:

J/K!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok, dumb question: what IS cerakote? Is it basically anodizing, or powder coating? I heard the term before, but mistakenly thought it was that permanent lube coating being developed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So it's purely cosmetic?

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts
Well it does seem to protect the metal much better than regular old blueing. I have use it on guns that are for hard use and may stand a chance of getting a little wet from rain or such and the rust protection is awesome. Some of the coatings add some lubricity as well.

Any time I have a gun that the finish is just worn really bad I will refinish them in gun kote, it really does make them more corrosion resistant.
If im not mistaken the reason for the invention of those coatings was to help with corrosion on weapons use in salt water by the seals (dont hold me to it) but I think that is correct. There are many versions out there that can be done at home with minimum tools but the prepping is the key to make it work and most have to be baked in the oven to cure. These coatings will not come off without a sand blasting so you dont have to worrie about the spray cleaners taking if like you do with the duracoat paint.

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts
Its best to completely disassemble the gun and I don't mean field strip I mean a complete disassemble. heat the parts then degrease, repeat then sandblast, degrease again then airbrush then off to the oven.

·
Registered
871 Posts
This is Robar NP3 finish that is almost bullet poof in terms of weather and will wipe clean being a slick surface. You will pay for it, but it there to stay.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm all for it on old worn guns with a bad finish at risk of corrosion damage. But I can't for the life of me understand why people take firearms with a quality factory finish to be cerakoted. In a lot of cases they have a superior surface treatment in excellent shape blasted off in order to cerakote it.

It makes no sense to me, doing that to a brand new glock.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
It makes no sense to me, doing that to a brand new glock.
Some people like different colors, and cerakote allows for that. Sand blasting a Glock won't remove the "treatment" the metal has, as is evidenced in many who polish their Glocks and leave them unprotected and they don't rust.

I put cerakote on a couple M&Ps once. They looked great and the finish was very durable. But like most finishes, it will wear in hard use areas like where kydex holsters hit the corners of the slide and so forth.

I would NOT try to cerakote at home. The likelihood of a quality job is very low unless you have vats of harsh chemicals, a sand blast cabinet, a shop oven, and some good spray gear. I paid a whopping $50 per slide, much easier to pay a pro for this one (and I'm a die hard DIY guy).

Reactions: Ianthin
1 - 20 of 24 Posts