Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NRA-ILA today - To be honest I'd have reckoned that the ''travelling criminal'' was nothing new. I have heard of quite a few cases where crooks travel large distances to do a ''job'' and then scoot home quick.

In fact - putting on my imaginary ''felon hat'' - I think it very likely I would do just that. They always say don't dump on your own doorstep!!

This is one factor which I think could, make the goblins even more bold and dangerous - making them feel safer and less likely to be caught.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Criminals More Apt To Travel

Washington Times
Residents of D.C. neighborhoods in the past two years increasingly are being targeted by criminals from other parts of the city, Maryland and Virginia. The spike in what some officials call "commuter criminals," Chief Charles H. Ramsey said, can be directly linked to an increase in juvenile crime.

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20060123-111958-6779r.htm

·
Super Moderator
23,584 Posts
I'm not a historian, but I think most of the old gangs (Coulter Young, James Gang) tried to do the same thing. The Coulter gang actually got shot up real bad (and got caught) while robbing a bank in Minnesota (?) I believe, but "lived" in Missouri.

Makes sense.

We're 1 to 1.5 hours outside of the DFW Metro - and that proximity concerns me somewhat. Plus, they might consider us "country folk" that are "easier" marks!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
In those days, If you got down the road far enough, fast enough, and don't leave too much evidence, they'll never suspect you. Nowadays, there's just too much advancement in technology to not leave some form of evidence.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Rock and Glock said:
I'm not a historian, but I think most of the old gangs (Coulter Young, James Gang) tried to do the same thing. The Coulter gang actually got shot up real bad (and got caught) while robbing a bank in Minnesota (?) I believe, but "lived" in Missouri.
Coulter/James gang wasn't it? they specialized in gurilla tactics adapted from Civil war experience.
However , the move was their undoing, as they had no friends /relatives to hide out with.
I could be wrong too, been a while since I saw about it.

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
It was the James/Younger Gang. The principal members were Jesse & Frank James and Cole, Bob & Jim Younger, plus Clell Miller, Bill Chadwick & Charley Pitts.

They tried to rob the First National Bank in Northfield, Minnesota, on Sept 7, 1976. The town citizens shot them to hell. Miller, Chadwick & Pitts were killed, the Younger brothers were captured, & the James brothers escaped to Missouri. They didn't get any money from the bank.

I'm a western history nut!:image035:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
...hmmm....if criminals are traveling to D.C. to commit crimes, then to prevent this wave of out-of-state-coming-to-the-District crimes, I demand that our gov't institute an extensive waiting period on new car purchases and ban the sale of "cheap" "saturday night" hatchbacks and assault SUVs (after all, no one needs one!) since every reasonable person knows these are the tools of anti-social persons in our society.

Of course, LEO's are exempt from all of this.....time to get into my SUV.

:smile:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Is this a trend he's been seeing among perps captured or is he merely offering up an excuse for the level of crime going on in his city?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They tried to rob the First National Bank in Northfield, Minnesota, on Sept 7, 1976.
1876 perhaps Crunch??!! :18:

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
P95Carry said:
1876 perhaps Crunch??!! :18:
You're right, Chris. Boy, am I embarrassed!:redface:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
T'was a mere typo Crunch! :wink: