Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm left handed and left eye dominant, but trained myself to shoot pistols right handed. I figured it would be better for weapons manipulation; I'm not limited to a left handed setup or doing something funky to get the slide to lock back, etc. My solution was very simple, I just turn my head to the right a bit so my left eye lines up with the sights.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I am not cross dominant.

However, I find that using the weak eye to sight on close targets makes for better front sight focus. And everything is as it should be... front sight in focus, rear sight and target blurred. this works well for me out to about 50'. Beyond that, I use the strong eye.

All that said, most of my practice is at 25' or less... and the majority of that is well within 12 feet... cqb range. With some unsighted work as well.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I am cross dominant. I shoot my handguns right handed, left eyed, and my long guns and bows left handed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am left handed and right eye dominant to a certain extent. It seems that every now and then ill use my left eye and other times ill use my right... sometimes I cant remember what eye I was using.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I'm left handed and left eye dominant, but trained myself to shoot pistols right handed. I figured it would be better for weapons manipulation; I'm not limited to a left handed setup or doing something funky to get the slide to lock back, etc. My solution was very simple, I just turn my head to the right a bit so my left eye lines up with the sights.
that, and instead of shoulders blunt to the target--12 oclock,
face at 1:30 with your shoulders ( L foot pointed at 1:30 and R foot at 2:30)
and extend arms toward target at 12 0clock......and turn head a bit to the right.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Just yesterday I had an optometry appointment to be fitted for multifocal gas permeable contact lenses - I've been wearing standard RGPs for years. I have been near sighted since like the fourth grade but have developed presbyopia in these recent years, and, along with compromised night vision, I have chosen to take a brave move into the realm of multifocals.

Now, I am right handed and have known for years that I am right eye dominant. So, the optometrist performs the triangle hand test and tells me that I am left eye dominant. I give a rebuttal and we discuss the numerous ways of testing for eye dominance. I explain to her about the complexities of frontsightness which she seems to understand. In the end we agree to disagree on my eye dominance with the understanding that we will get this right, or not. There is a lot going on with these multifocal contact lenses.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good luck, and I'm cross dominant, currently just tilting the pistol 15 degrees or so, so that the front sight is in front of my left eye

·
Registered
659 Posts
I am cross dominant. I shoot my handguns right handed, left eyed, and my long guns and bows left handed.
I have this exact issue. I went out last Tuesday after voting in our primary and couldn't hit crap. Used my Ruger SR9c at 25 yards and hit the 6" round target 2 times out of 40 shots sent down range. I know 25 yards is pretty far, but that is how our range is set up and "the rules" don't let me shoot from outside the range house (unless nobody is around to catch me)...I need to find a way to resolve this issue...

Ace

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Update.

The multifocal contact lenses are working great! I can see gun sites just fine and can read my watch without readers now. I still need readers for any lengthy time around reading material.

Still have trouble in poor light but that's an age related thing.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Practice shooting with both eyes open. You'll find your point shooting accuracy goes way up.

·
Registered
750 Posts
NECRO! Someone was right about it being zombie season. I'm the newbie, I'm allowed to necro threads. ;)
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, M4 Instructor "Cross Dominance is a myth. It doesn't exist. If you say you're Cross Dominant, you're a liar."

Raises hand. "Negative sir, but carry on with your own myths."
-Cross Dominant. Left Eye, right (strong) hand.

Scary huh?

·
Registered
12 Posts
One of the more effective ways that we teach students who are cross-dominant is to tilt the pistol so that it aligns with the dominant eye. I've seen people who are all over the target, zero in with this method.

That's just a suggestion worth trying if you are having difficulties adjusting to off-hand etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I found out I was cross dominant not long ago. Right handed, left eye dominant. I tried different shooting methods and found that tilting my head to the right worked pretty well for me. The only time I use to shoot with both eyes open was duck hunting and I am surprised I did as well as I did. Now that I know the problem I should do even better. I am still open to trying different methods.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I can deal with by the head tilt , both eyes open or what I prefer is to use a weaver stance and align it with left eye

Lasers are also a big help if you like them

Someday. That’s a dangerous word. It’s really just a code for ‘never’.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
both eyes open or what I prefer is to use a weaver stance and align it with left eye
Right hand/left eye here too. A Weaver stance makes it a non-issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts