Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tried out a means of carry that I think I am going to stick with.

Cross Draw!

I have a SA 1911-A1 in a SERPA holster. One day, after reading this site for a while, I decided to readjust my holster for a Cross Draw configuration.

Voila!

Now I can sit down without shifting all over, I can access my weapon in the car without fighting the seat, the seatbelt, and the laws of motion. I can put my hands in front of me demurely in a bad situation, appearing peaceful and harmless, then pull the gun with great speed. The speed is another advantage; nothing else has proven to be as quick (in my case). Last, but not least, I can relax a bit more with the weapon right in front of me. Who's going to get it away from me there, but the most determined of adversaries?

Concealment is easier than I thought, too. The 1911 is a nice flat design, and takes well to the approach. I am curious about a more dedicated holster, but I am really happy about the way it works out now.

Try it and see!:danceban:

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
Been exploring cross carry a lot myself. When seated, esp. in a vehicle, the gun is much more available than a 3:00 carry.

Even when standing, it is very available, yet very discrete. There are many situations where you could have your hand on your gun without anyone even knowing it.

If you wound up on your back you could access the gun much easier and quicker in a X-draw than a 3:00 position.

As far as a take away, who's gonna know it's there? And is a 3:00 really any less susceptible to a take away attempt than a X-draw? It may be worse, simply because they can take it from the 3:00 from behind.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Cross draw is fine ...

as long as you don't have a pot belly. :frown:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Crossdraw with mechanical retention (SERPA) is a very practical conceiled holster option. Without it, the close-quarter gun-grab is just too easy & quick (proven to me by a U.S. Marshall friend). Be safe!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I had a Fist crossdraw-driving holster made for my Walther P99 .40cal and it is now my holster of choice whenever I am going to be getting in and out of my car doing everyday stuff. It is almost second nature to switch from one position to the other. Covers easily with a jacket or untucked shirt and is perfect for driving.

FIST, INC.

bosco

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have 2 Serpa's for my HK USP. I have both setup as paddles with one being cross draw and the other strong side grip forward. I have an hour + commute every day and I go cross draw in the car and just switch to strong side when I get out. Works great.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've driven hours and hours and made long trips with my gun IWB on the strong side. I'll stick with it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just to add to your point, cross draw is a great option for persons with long arms relative to the length of their torsos. I have a full-size 1911 that I literally can't draw from a holster positioned at 3-4:00 without bending sideways at a 45 degree angle. Different body types can require different carry arrangements. A cross draw rig was the right solution for me.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Several television programing and gun periodicals have been brining up the advantage of cross draw while driving the past 6 months or so. If I had the resources, I would buy one, for that use.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Let me get a little more specific here, as Pizza Bob had a point about someone right in front being able to take the gun.

I carry mine at the 1030-1100 position. The grip rests against my belly to the left of my navel about 2 inches away. It would be very difficult for someone to get at it, especially since the SERPA has a retention system and the angle would be prohibitive of activating the release or even removing the gun at all. Not to mention, its placement there allows for more options defensively with all four limbs being capable of "dissuading" someone who wants my weapon.

Basically, try this:

Take your preferred carry pistol (unloaded), and sit in a comfortable chair or car seat. Place the trigger guard on the top of your weak-side thigh with the barrel pointed outboard, or away from you. Now rest the bulk of the gun against your belly. Cant the barrel down just a bit and...

That's how my gun sits.

Very comfortable and easy to access. I can be as active as I want or drive forever and still get my gun with minimal issues. It's basically just sitting on my lap.

Concealment is surprisingly easy, even with the weapon being what amounts to right in front of me. I like wearing long-tailed "Dickies" shirts (untucked) and they cover the gun entirely, buttoned or otherwise.

Just another option...

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I also like the cross draw - "draw ability" but find it harder to conceal for my normal off duty wear. Maybe if / when I get a vest I'll try it again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I recently tried out a means of carry that I think I am going to stick with.

Cross Draw!

I have a SA 1911-A1 in a SERPA holster. One day, after reading this site for a while, I decided to readjust my holster for a Cross Draw configuration.

Voila!

Now I can sit down without shifting all over, I can access my weapon in the car without fighting the seat, the seatbelt, and the laws of motion. I can put my hands in front of me demurely in a bad situation, appearing peaceful and harmless, then pull the gun with great speed. The speed is another advantage; nothing else has proven to be as quick (in my case). Last, but not least, I can relax a bit more with the weapon right in front of me. Who's going to get it away from me there, but the most determined of adversaries?

Concealment is easier than I thought, too. The 1911 is a nice flat design, and takes well to the approach. I am curious about a more dedicated holster, but I am really happy about the way it works out now.

Try it and see!
Would you be willing to post a photo in the "Show us how you carry" thread? I am interested in cross-draw because of commute. I think if I see enough photos, I might save myself from purchasing holsters that don't work. Thanks!

-M

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Front crossdraw, which is what EvilMonk has described, IS very defensible from a grab attempt. Indeed, anything worn forward of the points of the hips is simpler to defend from a grab than any other position. The actual mechanics of defending the weapon have to be adjusted a bit from the better-known techniques aimed at the LE-oriented strong-side hip position.

The recent popularity of the appendix carry position is largely due to the expansion of force-on-force training into the private citizen market; defending your weapon from a grab is a big part of this training. The only difference between appendix carry and front crossdraw, from a weapon retention standpoint, is on which side of your belly button your holster is worn.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I don't personally use front crossdraw for a CC pistol, because I must carry on the "strong" hip with my duty rig, and believe in keeping things consistent, though I do wear my mandated Taser, which is of course not concealed, front crossdraw.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Whenever possible, I carry in a shoulder holster. I consider that a form of cross draw. It is concealable, comfortable, and relatively accessible. I much prefer it over anything on my hip. Hip holsters pull my pants down unless the gun is very lightweight - say 25 ounces or lighter - or my pants are tight enough.

Try a good shoulder holster. I like them.

·
Super Moderator
50,583 Posts
I had a Fist crossdraw-driving holster made for my Walther P99 .40cal and it is now my holster of choice whenever I am going to be getting in and out of my car doing everyday stuff. It is almost second nature to switch from one position to the other. Covers easily with a jacket or untucked shirt and is perfect for driving.

FIST, INC.

bosco
Yep, this is a nice one. I just bought the same holster this summer.:image035:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would you be willing to post a photo in the "Show us how you carry" thread? I am interested in cross-draw because of commute. I think if I see enough photos, I might save myself from purchasing holsters that don't work. Thanks!

-M
I've been meaning to do just that for a while, but life (kids, work, wife, etc.) is constantly presenting it's adventuresome side.

I'll try tomorrow as I have nothing else on the schedule...:wave:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts