Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have owned both, quite simply, what's the difference? I could buy a Galco right now for $55 or order and wait for quite awhile for a Crossbreed. Can you let me know why I wouldn't just buy the Galco? Curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
There's NO reason not to buy the Galco. Once Crossbreed pioneered the "Hybrid" (Kydex AND leather) holster, Galco simply directed it's formidable resources toward having an offering to address that market. IMHO, any difference is picking the fly scat out of the pepper. I've, personally, always had fine luck with Galco products. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Galcos are simular. And they are readily availible. Crossbreeds are good but have a wait custom made and more expensive. I caught my king-tuk on sale and got it for right at $43 and change. Works great and love it so far.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
I have both, and the only difference is that the Galco can be bought off the shelf for about $55 and the CB is $70 with presently about a six to eight week wait for delivery. Fit and function is the same for both and I would highly recommend either. They work well for me.

Reactions: DetChris

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
The difference is as you stated and the fact that I think the King Tuk is better made. Its edges are finished while the Crossbreed's are not. I also find it more comfortable. I think the ship has sailed when the Crossbreed was the only game in town and now they are selling on their name. Let's face it, we are not talking about a handcrafted and carved holster that is hand stitched. We are talking about slapping a pre-formed shell on a pre-cut piece of leather and selling it for more than the competition because you have the name that all the boys want to have on their holster. If anyone does not think that Crossbreed and the others do not have pre-cut kydex and leather for the most popular guns, you have not run a business.

Get the King Tuk. You will not be sorry. If you want to wait and want what I consider the best hybrid, take a look at the MTAC. Mine is finished on both side and has less leather than the other hybrids and is more comfortable for me.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Old Dog, you hit the bullseye on that one. The Crossbreed and Milt Sparks's Versa Max are two of the most copied, stitch for stitch and rivet to rivet holsters in the industry, from the mass producers on down the line. At least the Sparks takes some skill to manufacture. Needless to say we do not have either in our line.

Alex

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Tommy Theis offers a great hybrid, too. Faster lead times than CB but obviously a little longer than getting an off-the-rack Galco. FWIW I have worn rigs from Theis and Galco; both are fine makers.

If you're in a hurry you might as well try the Galco.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the Galco KingTuk several months ago for about $60 at Gander Mountain. I didn't like the idea of having to wait that long and pay more for a Crossbreed. If Crossbreed wants to sell more products, I suggest they cut down their wait time. Do they not make them in advance for popular models?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Galco is better made and it will outlast your gun. I have had one for three years and it still serves me well. It is the most comfortable holster I have ever owned. Another feature I like is the the cut of the leather on the Galco allows for a firing grip, if you look at the Crossbreed, even the "combat cut" still has some leather in the way. And the leather is not as good on the Crossbreed.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Galco is better made and it will outlast your gun. I have had one for three years and it still serves me well. It is the most comfortable holster I have ever owned. Another feature I like is the the cut of the leather on the Galco allows for a firing grip, if you look at the Crossbreed, even the "combat cut" still has some leather in the way. And the leather is not as good on the Crossbreed.
Concur. After comparing the two for a few weeks the Galco is the holster I kept for the reasons you've outlined.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do some research and you'll find that crossbreed was not the first hybrid holster. It was a "copy" of Tucker Gunleathers original hybrid holster "The Answer". Its just like people that think that the iPhone was the first smartphone. Its just the first one they heard of and that became the most popular.

Back on topic. I've tried them both and don't use either now. I use the SHTFgear hybrid. Check their site and you'll see the differences that make them stand out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had my Galco KingTuk for about a year now. I also went through the "should I wait and spend more or grab one off the shelf at my LGS" process. I grabbed one off the shelf for around $60. I like it ok. The holster definitely keeps my weapon secure, but my front sight scrapes the kydex every time I remove the weapon from the holster. And, by scrape, I mean there are plastic shavings in the front sight. Very annoying. I'm not sure if this only happens with my weapon, a S&W M&P 40c, or others too. I've never used the CBST, but I bought one for my dad last year and he loves it. It was well made and his pistol drew and reholstered smoothly. Mine is kind of jerky going in and out. I've actually been considering going with the CBST, but can't justify the extra cost right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts