Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have an older Crucible FX. VG-10, Seki made. The Crucible II knives are made in Taiwan with AUS-8 blades. You could get a knife made with better materials, in a facility with better QC, for around the same price.

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Let's clear something up about AUS-8 Steel.
There is nothing inherently bad (or cheap) about AUS-8.
Like every other Steel, proper heat treatment for the intended task is critical.
Some bad knives are constructed with AUS-8 and some great knives are using AUS-8.
AUS-8 is quite similar to 440C. Probably very slightly tougher.
Nicely rust resistant and good looking.
I like it because it takes a very fast razor sharp edge that really rips flesh.
It does not seem to "hold an edge" as as long as some steels like O-1 or D-2 but, it touches up so easily and perfectly and with a great, ripping edge for a defensive knife.
If everything ELSE is good with any knife...there is nothing about properly heat treated AUS-8 that will make it a bad knife.
Just FYI.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Let's clear something up about AUS-8 Steel.
If everything ELSE is good with any knife...there is nothing about properly heat treated AUS-8 that will make it a bad knife.
Just FYI.
You are so WRONG in this post, it's not even funny! Everybody knows that if the steel doesn't start with a CPM and cost three times more than it has to, the knife is the Teh Suxor! Heat treating can't save a blade from being junk if you don't use the latest, bestest, expensivest, hardest, toughest, double-donginest steel!

DUH! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was skeptical about my newest SOG being it is Aus-8.. but it holds an edge fairly well and will take an edge exceptionally well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts