Defensive Carry banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$300 for pistol permit, whats next. I believe this would deny many people the right to own handguns . This is about money and disarming many citizens and FWIW. I think it really shows how our Reps. think. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Any state with large fees (over $20), long app forms, many requirements, and many prohibited places is in fact attempting to discourage citizens exercising their natural rights. They may be "shall issue", but they're putting hurdles on the track.

Reactions: redmc

·
Banned
35 Posts
govenor idiot has never met a tax or fee he did not like. His justification is laughable, he cited the additional costs related to the laws passed that, among other things, require a long gun permit and a permit to buy ammo. Laws that have done nothing to reduce crime involving illegal firearms. How about eliminate the burden on citizens to exercie their federal and state constitutional rights? Save a ton of money right there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wow, that's nearly as bad as Illinois. $150 for residents, $300 for non-residents, plus a 16 hour class which often runs around $200. Plus, the non-resident states recently changed without warning, so there are people out there who fulfilled all the requirements and now might nor have a valid permit.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
You are too close to Massoftochitts (Can't spell worth a lick). Northeast is, as you are finding out, is not very gun friendly. Couple of notable exceptions but clearly Connecticut isn't one of them.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I got lost driving in NY from NJ and ended up in CT before I knew it. Little states like CT are the size of counties in the Midwest. The cost of living is too high and taxes even higher to live in such a hole. Then to have corrupt politicians with so much power, it sort of makes the people living there look like fools. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Kennfd

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I think this has less to due with Malloy's anti-gun attitude, and more with trying to extort money from a small constituency that doesn't have a lot of power in a blue state.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Incompetent is an understatement. They are nothing more than a bunch of halfwits. They have grossly mishandled the states fiscal matters for the last six years.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got lost driving in NY from NJ and ended up in CT before I knew it. Little states like CT are the size of counties in the Midwest. The cost of living is too high and taxes even higher to live in such a hole. Then to have corrupt politicians with so much power, it sort of makes the people living there look like fools. Just my 2 cents.
What you say is partly true, the only fools are them running things and them that will not vote them out.

·
Registered
546 Posts
As a CT resident I can say that our elected officials do everything in their power to discourage gun use and ownership, since they can't outright ban it. As a college student, living paycheck to paycheck with barely enough money to spare for ammo, paying over $300 for a permit renewal means that right after renewing my permit, I would have to begin saving my pennies to renew it again (better save up the money over time than plunge myself into debt to exercise a right). I have also have a few friends who were interested in getting their permits for recreational shooting, but claim that they would lose interest if the price were to skyrocket. Then there is my manager at work who wants a firearm to protect his home and family and would have to pay more money to get licensed (local permit fees, state fee, background check, and pistol permit class) than his first gun will cost him. People simply can't afford it.
Governor Malloy claims that the cost increase is to bring the fees in line with surrounding states (at $70 currently, CT is one of the more expensive states to get a permit) and to cover the costs associated with the permitting process, as he claims that each permit ends up costing the state money. While a modest price increase would be somewhat understandable, a 400% price increase practically guarantees that the state will use the permit fees for profit, rather than simply covering the associated costs. This brings me to my next point, Governor Malloy's poor money management skills have plunged the state of CT into a several BILLION dollar deficit; it's hard to believe that he would be able to use the profits from the permits responsibly. In fact, it's a good bet that those fees will go toward funding his gun control agenda and towards advocacy of even HIGHER fees. What's next, a $1,000 pistol permit to buy a .22 plinker and a box of ammo?

·
Registered
546 Posts
As a CT resident I can say that our elected officials do everything in their power to discourage gun use and ownership, since they can't outright ban it. As a college student, living paycheck to paycheck with barely enough money to spare for ammo, paying over $300 for a permit renewal means that right after renewing my permit, I would have to begin saving my pennies to renew it again (better save up the money over time than plunge myself into debt to exercise a right). I have also have a few friends who were interested in getting their permits for recreational shooting, but claim that they would lose interest if the price were to skyrocket. Then there is my manager at work who wants a firearm to protect his home and family and would have to pay more money to get licensed (local permit fees, state fee, background check, and pistol permit class) than his first gun will cost him. People simply can't afford it.
Governor Malloy claims that the cost increase is to bring the fees in line with surrounding states (at $70 currently, CT is one of the more expensive states to get a permit) and to cover the costs associated with the permitting process, as he claims that each permit ends up costing the state money. If other states can issue permits for less than $50, maybe it's time for CT to reconsider how permits are issued. While a modest price increase would be somewhat understandable, a 400% price increase practically guarantees that the state will use the permit fees for profit, rather than simply covering the associated costs. This brings me to my next point, Governor Malloy's poor money management skills have plunged the state of CT into a several BILLION dollar deficit; it's hard to believe that he would be able to use the profits from the permits responsibly. In fact, it's a good bet that those fees will go toward funding his gun control agenda and towards advocacy of even HIGHER fees. What's next, a $1,000 pistol permit to buy a .22 plinker and a box of ammo?
However, the biggest question of all is why is the permit system in place to begin with? In 2013, CT passed a series of anti gun laws which made private transfers of firearms illegal, and required a permit to purchase any shotgun, rifle, pistol, ammunition, and magazines. If each and every firearms transfer requires a background check, then a pistol permit which proves a clean background is largely irrelevant.

·
Super Moderator
20,163 Posts
It wasn't always that way. I spent 35+ years in CT under reasonable taxation and gun laws. Things have turned to crap in the past 5 years or so.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
It wasn't always that way. I spent 35+ years in CT under reasonable taxation and gun laws. Things have turned to crap in the past 5 years or so.
I completely understand. I was born in Chicago in a what's now da hood. We moved to a nice suburb when I was only 2. I worked in the city after college and it was still ok. It is pretty much the same story as CT, NYC, NJ. High taxes and less of what made the city a pretty good place to live in. I hope what you remember about CT were good memories.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was born and raised in NY and still have family in the tri-state area and yeah, it sucks there. I got out of there as soon as I could.

·
Registered
863 Posts
When I got my first permit in Ct. back in the 80's I don't recall the fee being out of line but I'm not surprised. The only thing I was told by my instructor was don't put down on your app the reason(s) for applying is for self defense. Say its for hunting and recreational target shooting lol. After moving out west in '96 and finding out Az or Colo did not accept my Ct. permit I let it lapse. Ct. is a blue state thru and thru I don't think it will ever change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts