Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
When in 9th grade we moved from Turlock, California to Warwick, NY. The high school in Warwick was filled with the overflow from a wayward boys home that was in town. These guys were nasty. Had to pay one of them $.50 to use the bathroom and the teachers were afraid and did nothing. My Dad bought me a switch blade and taught me some basics (ex-army hand to hand instructor). Remember, I was in the 9th grade. Anyway, I stuck the $.50 guy in the neck and screamed at him a lot. I didn't hurt him much and he didn't report anything. From then on I was OK with these guys and I think $.50 guy would have let me pee in his shoe if I wanted.
Metalman I also moved to Warwick in H.S I know the group your talking about Pius guys was a rough bunch of guys.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Not me but while on deployment another marine was on post with an iraqi police member and the ip wasn't doing his job and decided to light up the post with his cell phone (among other things). That marine slapped the phone out of his hand and the ip pointed his ak at him. The marine grabbed the barrel, moved it to the side and stabbed the ip in the neck with his ka-bar. True story. That platoon go a lot of heat the upcoming weeks. That ip was the chiefs son and there's a lot of corruption over there. That's the only real life story I'm aware of.

I do carry multiple knives because in the great state of NH there are no
Knife laws other than legal age. So I can take any type of knife to places I can't take a gun. With the exception of jails /prisons/court houses I'm pretty sure they can go anywhere.

·
Administrator
144,023 Posts
I'm what you may consider to be in the "younger crowd" (Mid 20s) and I know what an Ice pick is. You don't give us enough credit, QK. I also know about 8 tracks, by the way. :wink:
You're one of the more worldly and intelligent ones. That is one of the reasons why you're here and you are a member in good standing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yup. Before I could CC. Folders up to 3" were the only thing I could use. Couple guys tried to jump my buddy and I late one night. Flicked my Gerber open, held onto it for dear life and aimed for their thighs. Got both at least twice. About 5 other witnesses helped corroberate our self defense situation and the suspects descriptions. Cops took our statement and sent us on our way. Never got jumped in that particular city again.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I got into a knife fight once and didn't have a knife. I'll never do that again. :blink:

Some will say:

"Never bring a knife to gunfight."

I say:

A man without a knife is only 1/2 dressed, and that's if he has a gun.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I almost gutted a guy once with a knife, when while drunk, he assaulted my mother.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

Reactions: Taurahe

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
It's only been the other way for me. I had I a thief try to cut my throat with a box cutter I had missed on a pat down.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
It's only been the other way for me. I had I a thief try to cut my throat with a box cutter I had missed on a pat down.
Thank you.

Since you are here I will assume you took care of business.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
The last time a catfish spiked me I cut his darn spikes off and gutted him later.:image035: Sorry man. My knives usually just see mundane work like opening packages, boxes, toys, gleaning game,etc.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Not my story, but a former coworker held off a room of people who wanted to beat him up at a party with a Buck 110 folder. He was able to keep them back while phoning somebody to come get him.

I usually carry a couple of knives, one for day-to-day tasks and another just in case. I hope to never use the second one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks folks for all the replies. They were most enlightening. I carry a gun concealed at all times, but also carry a Gerber Clip Point, Fine Edge. It has a large thick, Bowie style blade and a hand filling grip. Only thing missing is one handed opening and a Lil Bandit Stud with a hex screw to attach it solves that shortcoming.
image.jpg

Unkei

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Here is a pic of the fighting knife I currently carry. Cold Steel Recon 1 with Tanto point. Carry also a Kershaw 3" lock blade for work and a Leatherman Wave multitool.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO now Free

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
These days I carry a knife as a last ditch, everything else went to heck, resort. Back when I was 10' tall and bullet proof my Spyderco Mariner was my only defensive tool, and it was a poor choice for that role but...

While riding cross country on annual leave, I happened into a biker bar that I did not know was notorious for brawling and a truly wild crowd. Everything was quite inside but when I finished my beer and left, I walked into a melee in the parking lot. There were at least 20 leather clad bikers going at it with fervor. I turned to go back in the bar when someone grabbed me by the shoulder, spun me around and said "Where the #*&% do you think you're going!"

I have never deployed a knife so fast before or since. I had it in the outside pocket of my right Nasty Feet boot. The foot came up, the blade went "snick" and I said "Back inside to finish my beer friend." I got lucky, he let me go and the cops showed up to break up the fight. Had I not had that knife I'd have probably taken a beating and spent the night in the pokey.

I guess that counts as defense with a knife.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Iv'e never pulled a knife out on someone but I witnessed a friend/coworker pull out a knife. We were longboarding on the sidewalk, my buddy decided to get ahead of me and race another friend on skateboards. I stayed behind and did not pick up speed because there is one thing Iv'e learned from skating. People down here do NOT respect you or look out for pedestrians. Therefore it is a must to carry while skating. We were out skating around 11:30pm, I finally caught up to my friends that were mouthing off to a group of young adults in a car. I'm not sure what happened but apparently the 4 guys in the car threw their beer at my friends and hit one of my friends and dodged a beer bottle that was thrown at him. My friend/coworker was 16 yrs old at the time and was getting beat by a group of guys. He did have a knife on him and pulled it out when the guys charged at him. By the time I got there, all 4 men ran back to their vehicle and speeded off.

I'm not taking sides because my friend/coworker was 16. When I was 16, I did some pretty dumb stuff too but I believe the 4 men did wrong by getting off their vehicle in attempt to assault a 16 yr old kid. I must admit, when I have longboarded, I have had people yell ugly words at me out their window but I have never been followed or threatened. *Knock on wood*

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I've watched this thread. Anyone smart will not admit to having done so. To do so, with factual information would most likely be in violation of the Terms of this Forum.

Guns are fun, blades are mo-fun. Especially if within hand-to-gland range.

It really makes one consider how soft you are.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I've watched this thread. Anyone smart will not admit to having done so. To do so, with factual information would most likely be in violation of the Terms of this Forum.

Guns are fun, blades are mo-fun. Especially if within hand-to-gland range.

It really makes one consider how soft you are.

Because of this post, I went back and re-read my first reply.
I forgot to mention that the way I lost control of my knife to this guy (who was really trying to hurt me), saw the knife in its sheath on my belt, and during the melee grabbed it and yanked so hard that the stitching pulled loose, releasing the knife into his hand. At that point (no pun intended), he proceeded to use it against me.
I was glad when I heard the sirens approaching.
No arrests were made that day, to my surprise.

It was a "learning experience" for me. I've not been so careless since then.

The moral to this story is, "Don't fight unless you absolutely must", and "Maintain control of any and all weapons at all times."

Cheers!

·
Registered
310 Posts
In high school in the late 70 the was a bit of racial tension. On the last day of school I walked into the bathroom which had a wall as you came through the door that you went around to get to the toilets. As I rounded the corner I was sucker punched and knocked to the floor. Three guys were fixing to beat the crap out of me. I was able to reach in my pocket and remove my Buck knife. I didn't have time to get it open at first, so I used it inside my fist. I was able to get in a couple of good licks including one that I am pretty sure broke the guys jaw. It was enough to get separation from the other two and allow me to flick the knife open. With their buddy bleeding profusely and looking for his teeth, and me now standing with a big knife they decided the best course of action was to leave. Problem was I was between them and the door. We had a short stand off before someone came into the bathroom and saw what was going on and went for help.
It should be noted that when I was in high school it was not against the rules to carry pocket knives and pretty much every boy did. It was also not against the rules to have guns in your car or truck and it was very common to see trucks in the parking lot with a gun rack in the back window. We were a small rural community and hunting was a way of life.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts