Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have once. So back when I was a little wannabe thug, I went on a date with a new girlfriend (it was our first date) to get some thai food at our mutual friend’s birthday party. We decided to get some beers at the seven eleven across the street and drank them in the parking lot. When we got back to the thai place, a row of approximately 8 gang members were lined up outside. As I reached over to open the door for my girlfriend, one of them approached me, blocking my entrance and asked where I was from. Now I was by no means an active gang member, but I did get jumped into a gang while I in jail for a very brief period of time. Fortunately, I never followed up with the people who jumped me in. Stupidly enough, I claimed to be in the gang that I had been jumped into in jail. Cue the opponent throwing a strong right to my orbital socket and the remaining crew joining in on the fun. The next thing I know, I’m seeing flashes of white and hearing bells with every blow. I had on me an Italian style switchblade which I deployed and began swinging it at my assailants. I remember barely missing one as he sprung backwards out of the way. One of of them yelled: “He’s got a knife!” and they dispersed. I noticed another one hiding behind a car door. Unfortunately, the encounter did not end there. A security guard rushed outside and shepherded me into the restaurant. As I went back outside to leave, however, one of the bigger guys attacked me again. Before I knew what was happening I felt warm blood gushing down my back as if someone had turned a faucet on hot. Left lung was pierced and had deflated by the time I got to the emergency room. Some sutures, staples, a chest tube, and several days of rest later, I was good to go, and went back to that damn restaurant to finish my meal.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
I carry a folder that could be a serious weapon, but I have never used one for defense and I hope I never have to. I do have a cautionary tale from the Navy that I was pretty close to.

It involved a sailor who worked for me in the ejection seat shop in the A-6 squadron I was in. He was a blond haired, blue eyed, all-American looking kid from Chicago who had a knack for getting into trouble. The year before the incident I will describe, he got busted for weed in Singapore during our port call there. It took the CO of the ship and the US Embassy to keep him from being publicly caned by the local justice system.

The next year, we were doing workups in the Caribbean, operating around Puerto Rico. We had a shore contingent at NAS Roosevelt Roads, PR and this sailor was part of that group. One night, he went into town to a local pool hall/bar and was wearing a knife belt buckle knife like the one shown. Back then, there were ads for them in just about every men's magazine.

He got into a fight with one of the locals in the parking lot of this venue. I have no doubt he contributed to starting the fight. He was losing the fight and getting the crap beat out of him. He pulled the knife, stabbed the guy once and they guy died. He was kept under house arrest on the base during the legal proceedings and months later was convicted of second degree murder by the locals in PR. He got a long sentence but his lawyer argued that he would not survive in a Puerto Rican prison, so it would be cruel and unusual punishment. The court agreed and commuted his sentence. He was dishonorably discharged from the Navy and returned to Chicago a free man.

So, my lesson learned is knives can be very effective with good "stab placement." They can also get you in just as much trouble as a gun can. People who start fights should make their own decision to not carry either.

belt buckle knife.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good read for you on another forum of a first person account and the arrest that followed:

Knives don't stop fights quickly.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Good read for you on another forum of a first person account and the arrest that followed:

Knives don't stop fights quickly.
Blades like bullets are all about placement. Had an uncle get into a bar fight got stabbed once he dropped and died on scene before the paramedics arrived. Want to say he got stabbed in the liver area but its been about 40 years now so I'm hazy on the details.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,849 Posts
I have carried a pocket knife since 1952, but have never had to use it for self-defense.

I remember in Navy SERE training chasing a deer fawn with my Ka-Bar knife. The fawn was faster than me and got away.

Reactions: oldranger53

·
Registered
1 Posts
I carry a folder that could be a serious weapon, but I have never used one for defense and I hope I never have to. I do have a cautionary tale from the Navy that I was pretty close to.

It involved a sailor who worked for me in the ejection seat shop in the A-6 squadron I was in. He was a blond haired, blue eyed, all-American looking kid from Chicago who had a knack for getting into trouble. The year before the incident I will describe, he got busted for weed in Singapore during our port call there. It took the CO of the ship and the US Embassy to keep him from being publicly caned by the local justice system.

The next year, we were doing workups in the Caribbean, operating around Puerto Rico. We had a shore contingent at NAS Roosevelt Roads, PR and this sailor was part of that group. One night, he went into town to a local pool hall/bar and was wearing a knife belt buckle knife like the one shown. Back then, there were ads for them in just about every men's magazine.

He got into a fight with one of the locals in the parking lot of this venue. I have no doubt he contributed to starting the fight. He was losing the fight and getting the crap beat out of him. He pulled the knife, stabbed the guy once and they guy died. He was kept under house arrest on the base during the legal proceedings and months later was convicted of second degree murder by the locals in PR. He got a long sentence but his lawyer argued that he would not survive in a Puerto Rican prison, so it would be cruel and unusual punishment. The court agreed and commuted his sentence. He was dishonorably discharged from the Navy and returned to Chicago a free man. For more information about best it companies in singapore please visit the website here www.webdevref.com/

So, my lesson learned is knives can be very effective with good "stab placement." They can also get you in just as much trouble as a gun can. People who start fights should make their own decision to not carry either.

View attachment 335821
Is it legal to carry a knife in Singapore?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I haven't, but during some Force-on-Force training several years ago a retired Recon Marine told me to try to "cut" him using a shock knife and later (at my request) a rubber knife. No matter what I did or how fast I went he had the knife stabbing into me in less than a second. He even let me use two knives once. That time he disarmed one knife while stabbing me with the other.

I was impressed and asked him if he ever used that in combat. He sort of laughed and said it was a great bar trick but he has never used that skill and only knew one person that ever did. At first, I questioned the value of the training but quickly realized that it would be far better to have that skill and not use it than to not have it. Since then I have done a little training but nothing very extensive.

The other thing this guy told me was that if you ever get into a knife fight you should expect to get stabbed and hope that you do more damage than the other guy faster than he can. Not a very comforting thought but probably very true.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I suggest a book Logic of Steel

James Lafond, the author, collected various incidents involving knives in Baltimore. The results are really interesting to say the least. His methodology can be hard to interpret at first but once you catch on it makes sense.

A few things I picked up from reading, some people will attack a guy with a sword sized weapon and that almost always goes badly. If someone is apparently trying to kill you with a pencil they really are trying to kill you so you better take it seriously. Also, women from the Appalachia regions such as West Virginia do not play and if they have a butcher knife in their hand you should just leave

·
Super Moderator
24,434 Posts
The Psych Ward (Criminal) in the local town did not allow pencils longer than 4” and only paper, no clipboards or paper clips. 4” still looked fatal to me.

I’ve never been party to a knife fight, and hope I never am

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Is it legal to carry a knife in Singapore?
You can carry any knife in Singapore, except for "gravity and flick knives," as long as you have an occupational or leisure reason to, like hunting or fishing. Self-defense is not a justification and shows intent to use against another human being, so that would be illegal. I suppose if you had a legitimate reason for the knife, but then had to use it in SD, that would be a gray area, up to the legal system.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
The Psych Ward (Criminal) in the local town did not allow pencils longer than 4” and only paper, no clipboards or paper clips. 4” still looked fatal to me.

I’ve never been party to a knife fight, and hope I never am
John Wick killed multiple people with a pencil.

According to the National Health Library, over 100 people a year are killed with pens and pencils, although most of them are children and most incidents are accidents.

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
I never had to use one, but I did face one that, thanks to the good Lord, didn't get used on me.

Long story I have posted several times. SWAT and on-scene officers told me the scene was secure. I was inside with the small children who were in the room when their mother was butchered. I was talking to them when I "sensed" someone behind me. When I turned around, it was the actor holding a big kitchen knife. He and the knife were dripping the mother's blood everywhere. To this day I don't remember what I said to him, but the Lord convinced him it wouldn't help to kill me.

I thought seriously about doing some bad things to those lazy officers.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I never had to use one, but I did face one that, thanks to the good Lord, didn't get used on me.

Long story I have posted several times. SWAT and on-scene officers told me the scene was secure. I was inside with the small children who were in the room when their mother was butchered. I was talking to them when I "sensed" someone behind me. When I turned around, it was the actor holding a big kitchen knife. He and the knife were dripping the mother's blood everywhere. To this day I don't remember what I said to him, but the Lord convinced him it wouldn't help to kill me.

I thought seriously about doing some bad things to those lazy officers.
I was told first hand by an officer who'd just gotten off of leave from a shooting that he faced a guy with a knife, mental case, who dropped it and meekly complied. He didn't recall what he said even seconds later but other officers told him that he said, "Don't make me kill again..." Anyway, that's how I recall the story and what he said was the gist of it

·
Registered
19,593 Posts
No, but I’ve got the scars on my forearms and hand where someone used one on me.
A smash to the face with an almost empty pitcher of beer ended it, and would have been much quicker if I had a 38 on me at the time.

But such are the fruits of youthful ignorance and being in places that are best avoided in the first place..

A knife for me is a simple tool to have for the convenience of cutting or opening packages, not for any SD applications..

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Keeping details at a minimum to avoid a long post; I was forced to take out an 8 pt white tail buck with a knife back in the 90's. I'm glad I had a long blade on me and not just my folding knife since the need arose by surprise. It wasn't at all what I expected from that weekends hunt and it changed my perspective on hunting from that day forward.

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
No, but I’ve got the scars on my forearms and hand where someone used one on me.
A smash to the face with an almost empty pitcher of beer ended it, and would have been much quicker if I had a 38 on me at the time.

But such are the fruits of youthful ignorance and being in places that are best avoided in the first place..

A knife for me is a simple tool to have for the convenience of cutting or opening packages, not for any SD applications..
Didn't have time to empty the pitcher first, eh?

Reactions: Rock and Glock
41 - 60 of 68 Posts