Defensive Carry banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,434 Posts
A Quantitative Analysis PhD I had at U of Kansas grew up in the Chicago projects. He was a brilliant sort, a scrawny fella, having graduated from the University of Chicago at age 16 or so. One day during some down time, he told his back story, and showed the class most of his knife scars. He had many. :oops:

·
Registered
19,593 Posts
Reactions: OldVet and Pete63

·
Registered
Mauser K-98 , Rossi Overland Coach gun , Glock 17 80% Polymer ,Hatsan .25 break barrel and a 357
92 Posts
Been Stabbed a few times , usually you don't even know till the smoke settles and then you feel the blood dripping all over...been in a few mutual combat situations...nothing nice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven’t, but my Step-Grandpa Guilo supposedly stabbed a guy trying to rob a store many decades ago in the late 50’s. I don’t know all the details, but according to my uncle he told everyone not to give him anything. He then ran up and stabbed the guy. Don’t know what happened to the robber.

Anyway, he was one of the toughest men I ever knew. Fought in Korea with the all-Puerto Rican 65th Infantry “Borinqueneers”. After the Korean War, he later became a Drill Sergeant and boxing champ in the Army. He had grown up dirt poor in Puerto Rico in a rough neighborhood, so Army life was a big step up for him. He was a bit short but strong as heck and absolutely fearless, even in his old age. He taught me how to fish, how to clean and gut fish, how to catch snakes, blow snot rockets and even how to drive. He was loud, uncouth, smelled bad, cursed a lot and treated me like his best friend every minute I spent with him. I miss him dearly.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
I also know about 8 tracks, by the way. 😉
Ah, but do you know about their predecessors, the 4 track cassettes? They were designed and marketed by Earl "Madman" Muntz, an electrical engineer and TV personality. The idea of the 8 track came when Bill Lear, of Learjet fame, took a ride in Muntz' car, which had one of his 4 tracks in it. Lear saw the market potential, but also saw a way to make the design better. He put together a consortium that got it going.

I had a 4 track in my car back in the day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I was a teenager, I had an occasion to use my older brothers KA-BAR
Lived in a bad neighborhood, was going through race riots, issues for most of my teens.
Walking out the door of the GYM after practice, as soon as swing the door open I get hit in the head with a brick, I went down as the crew started kicking me I pulled my brothers KA- BAR out and slashed/hacked couple of the guys legs. Thankfully like most gangs and punks, they scrambled like rats. One guy could not walk, bleeding bad on the ground screaming. by then coachs, others came out and called the police.
I pulled it out on another occasion when being eyed, circled by a gang. they got the hint and decided to mug some buddy else, or make their strips by mugging / killing somebody in the gangs eyes.

Added detail for how / why I had such. Large family first generation in USA, bad neighborhood, one of my older brothers was a Marine Special Forces / Recon when he returned after Multiple years deployed Vietnam and after, he would take me and my other brother out of the city for some backpack camping and lessons. We learned how to shoot, how to fight / defend yourself, how to use a knife and situation awareness ( obviously I failed that part of the lessons the night in story) He was like a dad to me as our dad died when we were young. I followed in his foot steps, as a no longer active Marine, and proud father of a deployed Marine ( He is godfather to my son)

Knife work is ugly, bloody, messy. Much of a real fight, is not glorious it is try to come out alive and remain calm. It is not like TV movie BS

61 - 68 of 68 Posts