Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just don't get it.
When I bought my Colt Delta HBAR I paid what I considered a darn nice price, the equivalent of 14-1500 bucks. I did some research and found many that had sold for $4000 and up! Complete ones like mine. And sold outright without bidding wars.
Now I'm seeing ones that aren't even selling at $2000 and are being relisted.
:confused:
And in the current market?
Are people becoming more afraid to buy these?
I don't understand the rollercoaster. That's definitely extreme spread.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
I'll give you 800 for yours.:danceban:

I've noticed the price change on a lot of firearms lately. I agree, it doesn't make a lot of sense but someone's getting a good deal.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
AR's are going for $449.00 on line....not that quality but it will drag down the whole market pricing. You can get an entry level Colt AR at Kentucky Gun Co. on line for under $800. There are now many more AR platform manufacturers stamping them out it has flooded the market and thereby dropped the market pricing.

Take a look: Home Page

Reactions: Ianthin and PAcanis

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems like the collector type AR's should still keep their value, regardless of a flooded market with both entry level AR's and premium ones.
I don't notice other firearms taking a hit on value.
It was just an observation. Maybe people are taking their $2000 and buying two or three, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Right now, I'd say many are taking quantity over quality. If a ban hits, they'll all be money makers.

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
There have been a lot of AR 15s at the gun shows I attend and have been for years. I've seen the same exhibitors re-price the same AR 15s to reflect this rollercoaster of which you speak, PAcanis. I confess to not understanding the AR 15 market, yea even the degree of AR 15 appeal. Apparently there are AR 15s and then there are AR 15s. Some are apparently much more respected than others. I don't keep up with the brands and the relative respect they command. The AR 15s configured to be truly competitive in High-Power seem to retain value. The hobbyist-built guns seem to command the lest respect, no matter the components used to build them. Within the AR 15 hobby, there are subtleties that I don't know. I do know there are truck loads of run-of-the-mill AR 15s in this region of the U. S..

I do know one gun show exhibitor in this region would love to talk me out of the early 1970s Colt SP-1 I have so there must be something to collector type interest. He's says it's a "tan-label" gun. Says it's "convertible." I didn't think that was legal. Wouldn't be interested if it was legal.

I mostly look past them at the shops and the shows, trying to see something else.

Reactions: PAcanis and Ianthin

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I built my own from PSA and several other suppliers. That way I got exactly what I wanted. (FN 1:7 Chrome lined barrel, Magpul furniture, Magpul custom sights, Carpenter HD BCG etc.)I probably have about $700 in it total. but it took me a year to buy every component "on sale". But it was more of a hobby thing than anything else. I will never sell it...so I couldn't care less what the market value is.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a funny market for sure, Bryan.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
PA a lot of people see any AR as just another AR, they don't care as long as it looks like an AR and goes bang. I guess that is the basic premise but IMO there are better ones and ones that offer better features and that is worth paying for, unfortunately that doesn't always calculate in when selling. A $400 AR doesn't equal a $1500 AR even if both look like an AR. JMO

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PA a lot of people see any AR as just another AR, they don't care as long as it looks like an AR and goes bang. I guess that is the basic premise but IMO there are better ones and ones that offer better features and that is worth paying for, unfortunately that doesn't always calculate in when selling. A $400 AR doesn't equal a $1500 AR even if both look like an AR. JMO
Well, yeah.
But when was the last time you saw a gun lose 30-40% of its value in a year?
Regardless of it being a black plastic gun, It's a Colt and it's pre-ban. I just find it really odd.
It would be like unfired Pythons sitting at a buy it now of $1600. Collectors are going to keep collecting you would think.
Or at least I would think :wink:

Reactions: Wasp

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I here you.
Although not Preban I had an unfired LE6920 SOCOM with Troy Quadrail ($1,200+), a Magpul UBR stock ($250), grips, mags, Nicon Scope and Burris REPR scope base, Magpul single/double point swivel sling, almost $2k total and nobody would offer more than $500. :eek: everybody said they could get an AR for $600 new...so go get one. Lol
I ended up keeping most of my gear and selling the gun and stock for $1,200 but I had to look for five months to sell it.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OUCH!
That had to be painful, Wasp.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hahahahaha, yeah, that unfired gun.

It it's ever for sale... :biggrin2:

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
PA, a good friend of mine is a class 3 dealer and we speak weekly. He has voiced the same concerns. The market is awash with AR/AK's and other similar guns. He has found that people are equating all of them the same (except for the limited collector market). A $500 AR is a AR, makes no difference in the quality. He sees the same thing in the class 3 market. Recently a full auto sear pack for a popular sub gun sold for $10k, not the whole gun, just the sear pack. Yet he recently purchased a very nice belt fed collectable with original parts and accessories for less than half of what that sear pack sold for. He does do a lot of buy and hold, knowing that the publics wants are very fluid. Guns, as a investment, are a tricky proposition since they are more prone to fluctuations and the buying publics whims. Certain guns will always hold or increase in value, many will not.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,375 Posts
Before last week, AR type rifles were not selling at any price range at the LGS. Starting this past Monday, the lower cost ARs were flying off the shelf. Now the higher priced ARs are starting to sell. Several people walked in and said they had never owned a handgun, but wanted to buy one.

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PA, a good friend of mine is a class 3 dealer and we speak weekly. He has voiced the same concerns. The market is awash with AR/AK's and other similar guns. He has found that people are equating all of them the same (except for the limited collector market). A $500 AR is a AR, makes no difference in the quality. He sees the same thing in the class 3 market. Recently a full auto sear pack for a popular sub gun sold for $10k, not the whole gun, just the sear pack. Yet he recently purchased a very nice belt fed collectable with original parts and accessories for less than half of what that sear pack sold for. He does do a lot of buy and hold, knowing that the publics wants are very fluid. Guns, as a investment, are a tricky proposition since they are more prone to fluctuations and the buying publics whims. Certain guns will always hold or increase in value, many will not.
Having never really followed the AR market, it did catch me by surprise.

·
Registered
319 Posts
PA,I do not mean to derail your post But I have a question. What is the allure of "Preban" AR's? I can purchase the same weapon that is "postban". Is it for the collector value? Personally if it is a shooter I don't see the need to pay extra for something that is currently available in the same configuration.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,375 Posts
Before Sandy Hook, I had six ARs and nine Glocks. After Sandy Hook, I had one Colt LE6920 and one Glock G20 SF. I bought Colt 1911s and Colt Revolvers which were not selling after Sandy Hook.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I guess I see things the same way as most people do. Most people are only going to fire their AR a few times a month or year. They realistically aren't going to ever be anywhere close to using the rifle to it's full potential or using all the extra expensive upgrades to justify paying 4 to 8 times the price for an over built one. Plus the fact that they all look the same, basically function the same, they're modular, the market has been flooded with them, and you can get reliability out of the cheap ones too doesn't help either.

When it comes to AKs though, I'm seeing that the prices have gone up. People are still willing to pay a premium for Arsenals, and gone are the days of $300-$400 AKs. A good entry-level one will start around $600 now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts