Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
In my opinion, Reeves overreacted to a situation that could have easily been avoided.
He was the initial instigator, complaining about a cell phone. All he had to do was move seats.
He'll have a difficult "Stand your ground" defense.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Reeves is old as dirt right? His lawyers are probably petitioning for every delay they can hoping he lives out his last days a free man.

·
Registered
642 Posts
A 74 year old man taking a beating from a punk? Bah! Everyone in the theater would have pulled them apart back in the day.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His wifes testimony now differs from early witness reports and she is supporting her husband. Allen Hamilton, the off duty cop who took Reeves gun after the shooting and witnessed the incident quoted Reeves wife as saying, “that was no cause to shoot anyone” and then Reeves comment back to her,“you shut your mouth and don’t say another word.”

Is stand your ground of any relevance at all when two people are engaged in an escalating confrontation over nothing? Is it even remotely possible Reeves is innocent?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Both parties had multiple chances to de-escalate the situation. Neither one did. Now, one is dead and the other is likely going to jail. A textbook example of what not to do. So sad.

If you are carrying, don't argue with strangers over a minor annoyance.

·
Registered
41,465 Posts
Don't throw your popcorn in an armed old man's face. I don't care what the reason.

His "stand your ground" defense is presently being heard by the court. If the judge agrees the man was in fear for his life, he may very well walk on the criminal charges. Retreating or deescalating really has nothing to do with it under FL law..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't throw your popcorn in an armed old man's face. I don't care what the reason.

His "stand your ground" defense is presently being heard by the court. If the judge agrees the man was in fear for his life, he may very well walk on the criminal charges. Retreating or deescalating really has nothing to do with it under FL law..
But I believe he was the initial aggressor and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that immediately removes deadly force as an option.

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
But I believe he was the initial aggressor and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that immediately removes deadly force as an option.
Gum-flapping doesn't constitute physical aggression. Like it or not, the shooter will likely walk.

Reactions: baren and Bad Bob

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
Both parties had multiple chances to de-escalate the situation. Neither one did. Now, one is dead and the other is likely going to jail. A textbook example of what not to do. So sad.

Great advice, but probably not part of his legal arguments.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Gum-flapping doesn't constitute physical aggression. Like it or not, the shooter will likely walk.
I'm pretty sure words can piss someone off.. and yes even enough to attack someone. Although I do not believe he intentionally meant to be the initial aggressor, it would appear the court felt he was.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts

Dont throw your popcorn in anyone's face. How immature...and inconsiderate to be on the cell.

Altho I am a big supporter of walking away or moving in general...I disagree that he should have had to move instead of asking someone to stop doing something expressly forbidden (during certain periods) in the theatre. If a few polite inquiries didnt work however, I would get a manager. I dont believe in positively reinforcing bad behavior. Same with smokers.

Reactions: baren

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
This times a million. Move, walk away, accept the small annoyance, something other than participating in escalation when you are carrying a gun. This is not about what he had a right to do, it is about tact and wisdom when armed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As my draw gets faster and faster with practice I sometimes wonder.....what if my brakes fail in a heated moment like that? Scary thought that 1/2 of a second can forever change your life.

On a side note, does anyone know if he was ever screened for dementia. That would be a better defense than the popcorn scared me.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
This times a million. Move, walk away, accept the small annoyance, something other than participating in escalation when you are carrying a gun. This is not about what he had a right to do, it is about tact and wisdom when armed.
And on the news they just said he was only texting....I didnt realize that. I realize there's a little light from the phone screen but still...just ignore it. Good lord, it sounds like both were immature jerks, no matter what the age. Or oncoming dementia as others have mentioned?

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
As my draw gets faster and faster with practice I sometimes wonder.....what if my brakes fail in a heated moment like that? Scary thought that 1/2 of a second can forever change your life.

On a side note, does anyone know if he was ever screened for dementia. That would be a better defense than the popcorn scared me.
Watching the video, it appears about three seconds elapsed between the time the popcorn went flying and the shot got fired. Plenty of time to realize what is going and hit the breaks.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
IIRC Mr Reeves had a history of raising a stink with theater management over people doing impolite and annoying things it the theater in particular cell phone usage. He also watched a lot of movies so apparently he let the rage build up. As for throwing popcorn..who does that?

Personally I suspect that this was a day when two fools met.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
When you are carrying a deadly weapon you now have the deadly force power of life/death over another individual. Therefore, your responsibility level goes up proportionately not to use that deadly force unless absolutely necessary. If you are unable to accept that responsibility...leave your weapon at home where it belongs.

Reactions: 9MMare
1 - 20 of 22 Posts