Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't say I agree with this. I've got a 27 for carry, because it's compact, and that's it.
I got it because a LEO I hunt with said he wouldn't carry anything else off duty.

I have big hands, and it is not a comfortable pistol for me to shoot.

I simply cannot imagine cutting a full sized pistol down to compact...

I sort of feel like this is destroying a perfectly good pistol.

Practical Advantages of Grip Length Reduction - PDN Videos

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
The only advantage to cutting the grips down is to keep the longer sight radius. IMO, its a waste of time unless there is a truly specific need for it, but i cant think of one. However, i will not say anyone is wrong for it. If having a full length gun with a shortened grip gives you the confidence you need to carry safely , then I say go for it !

·
Registered
269 Posts
The only advantage to cutting the grips down is to keep the longer sight radius. IMO, its a waste of time unless there is a truly specific need for it, but i cant think of one. However, i will not say anyone is wrong for it. If having a full length gun with a shortened grip gives you the confidence you need to carry safely , then I say go for it !
also with the heavier slide it will help with recoil and muzzle flip resulting in better accuracy and faster target acquisition on follow up shots over a compact pistol.

·
Registered
11,232 Posts
I wouldn't do this, only because there would always be nagging doubts in the back of my mind (possibly unfounded) that all the heating, cooling, and hacking might possibly make the frame more likely to fail at some point. I'm sure someone will post that they had a hack job done and have X gazillion rounds downrange with no issues, but that sample size of one does not instill confidence in me.

I'd rather take a baby Glock, and add a longer barrel. If you want the benefits of a longer sight radius, use a laser and/or a red dot. Just leave the frame alone!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wouldn't do this, only because there would always be nagging doubts in the back of my mind (possibly unfounded) that all the heating, cooling, and hacking might possibly make the frame more likely to fail at some point. I'm sure someone will post that they had a hack job done and have X gazillion rounds downrange with no issues, but that sample size of one does not instill confidence in me.

I'd rather take a baby Glock, and add a longer barrel. If you want the benefits of a longer sight radius, use a laser and/or a red dot. Just leave the frame alone!!
I do not heat & cool anything maybe others do..

How would you get a longer sight radius by dropping in a longer barrel when your sights are in the same place? It may make the gun slightly more accurate.. Most frames are modified for CCW purposes but the longer slide also has benefits over a compact .

·
Registered
11,232 Posts
Cutting and grinding causes friction, which causes heat. Stippling uses heat as well.

A longer barrel does not give you a longer sight radius, but it gives you some of the other advantages...more velocity, some more weight for less muzzle flip, etc. The laser and/or red dot gives you a much longer "sight radius" than a slightly longer slide.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cutting and grinding causes friction, which causes heat. Stippling uses heat as well.

A longer barrel does not give you a longer sight radius, but it gives you some of the other advantages...more velocity, some more weight for less muzzle flip, etc. The laser and/or red dot gives you a much longer "sight radius" than a slightly longer slide.
No heat used here.. My cuts are cuts and don't melt .. I kind of hear what you are saying but to me lasers are gimmicky..

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
If I want a gun with a shorter grip, I'll just buy one.

Reactions: Taurahe and OldVet

·
Registered
246 Posts
I second the motion to just buy a weapon with a smaller grip, if that's what you're looking for. Never in a million years would I chop up my G19. I'll just buy the G26 instead, and I plan to do so soon.

·
Registered
42,984 Posts
My Glock 30 was a bit long in the trigger reach dimension. Tried a G30SF and for whatever reason didn't feel any improvement. So on a whim, I heated the back of the grip with a heat gun and squeezed the crap out of it. The difference is not visually noticeable, but the feel is much improved. It's something of a custom fit for my hand, even as little as it changed. Oh, and wear a leather glove before trying it!

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
also with the heavier slide it will help with recoil and muzzle flip resulting in better accuracy and faster target acquisition on follow up shots over a compact pistol.
you are correct, but it still defeats the point of a compact pistol IMO

·
Registered
767 Posts
The Op stated
"I have big hands, and it is not a comfortable pistol for me to shoot."

Then it would not make sense to make the pistol any more difficult to operate.
I reduced my g17 to g19 length for a couple of reasons.
1. Concealment. I appendix carry, and just that small amount of length taken off has greatly enhanced my concealability. I don't want a shorter barrel, as that is not the part of the pistol that is difficult to conceal, it simply goes into the waistband. The grip protruding past one's draped cover garment (in any position, for that matter) is the challenge to hide. (as a side note, I always wondered at the Colt Commander design. Here, we'll take a pistol that was designed for a 5" bushing slide, and we'll shorten it, thus reducing reliability, and keep the 'hard to conceal' part the original length.)
2. Mag potential. For a while there, availability and price of mags was rather prohibitive. Reducing the grip allowed me to double my mag potential. My original g17 mags still work, but now also, my g19 mags work. Now, the availability of mags is returning, and prices are beginning to re acquire some degree of affordability. But, its still nice knowing my pistol has the potential to use either size mag.

Opposite the OP's situation, cutting back to g19 length did NOT effect my ability to adequately operate the pistol. I still have a full firing grip, and manipulations are done with no more difficulty than with a full size frame.

As to compromising the integrity of the frame, most Glock frame mods are not conducted with a cutting torch. I can't see the frame suffering a catastrophic failure after being cut using conventional methods such as a hacksaw, jigsaw, etc. Even the detailing is done often w a dremmel, and I've never seen one croak from mag cuts that weakened the polymer from heat/friction.

I don't fault anyone for NOT doing it. But for some folks, it makes perfect sense. And there are a number of businesses out there that do a great job at it. I did mine myself, and it looks like the nightmare some of you imagine. But it works for me, and I'd never look back.

dan

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
This is an exercise in "I meant to do that". But some points are perfectly valid. I own a EAA Witness in both a compact and long slide and those parts can be swapped. The grip is the part that prints against a shirt and the long slide yields a longer sight radius and its weight assists with recovery, at least in theory.

But you also find that the short grip / long slide combo can increase muzzle flip because of the longer lever operating around the fulcrum of the hand. In common parlance, there is less grip to hang onto. The more shootable combo is full frame / short slide, but there is no benefit to concealment.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I might add that it used to be common for companies to offer after-market compensators/ barrel weights screwed to the end of a longer barrel, which utilized the factory slide. Because the compensator did not reciprocate and the comp redirected gases to tame muzzle flip, the resulting modification increases shootability.

You did not however deliberately shorten the grip when adding the comp. In fact, you can add a grip weight to some Glocks to achieve a better balance. You also gain a little performance with an extended mag or brass magazine floor plates.

I applaud the creativity of the experiment even though the Glock frame was wrecked in the process!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts