Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the weekend, the grass in longer than it should be, and it's time to get the mower out....

I think most people here try to carry 100% of the time....I suspect that some of you even have a shower pistol or AR...but "100% program compliance" always requires a bit of discipline.

There was a time when I didn't bother carrying when I was out mowing the lawn or working in the veggie patch. However, it occurred to me that being outside and alone, one might look like more of an easy mark. It seems to be quite sensible to carry while cutting the grass or raking up the leaves.

I tried various options, but I tend to sweat a good bit in the summer heat. I use a push mower over sloping ground, so there is a bit or work involved. OWB or open carry seems a bit much in a quiet middle-class neighborhood. IWB can be irritating when out in the yard working for a few hours and sweating.

After some trial and frustration, I fell into the habit of carrying an LCR while doing yard work. I keep it in a Ramora holster in a pants pocket. This holster keeps the revolver oriented for me and secure. I think the Ramora also works as a bit of a sweat shield. The combination is fairly light, although my draw is slower than other options, to be sure.

This is a bit of a minimalist carry option: 5 rounds of 38+P SWC. Not the best sights. It's a 357 LCR and the SWCs shoot a bit high with these sight. Given that I'm outside and a defensive scenario might take place at longer ranges, a snubbie is less than ideal (perhaps a training issue). However, through laziness or complacency, this is my set-up.

I'm starting a thread to ask:

1. Do you carry while cutting the grass or doing yard work?
  2. Do you change your carry firearm for yard work?
  3. Do you change your carry method while out doing manual labor?
  4. Does anyone have a ride-on mower with an AR mounted over the engine hood ('cuz that would be too cool.)?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I made a cross the chest holster that rides a little lower an not as deep Into the arm pit as a shoulder holster. I can do just about any chore around the farm without it getting in the way. I have a rack in the gator for rifle or shotgun in case I run into a bacon maker.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Mowing the lawn, washing car ... I might only have a Kahr PM9 in pocket.
ETA: Its been about a year since I did that, not this year. :oops:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made a cross the chest holster that rides a little lower an not as deep Into the arm pit as a shoulder holster.
I've got a chest rig I really like for woods carry. But that is an open carry rig, in my case. Are you open carrying on the farm?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
In all seriousness, I don’t usually carry while mowing,

·
Registered
718 Posts
I carry while mowing. OWB, under an untucked shirt, same as always. Only difference is that I don't normally carry the Dan Wesson. Usually the Glock G45 is with me for outside sweat type work mainly because I don't want to get the holster for the Dan Wesson messed up.

Living in the country, I'm more concerned with 4-legged critters than the 2-legged varieties. Mower is a zero turn, so no real room for the AR.

·
Registered
36,074 Posts
I just spent all morning replacing the drive belt on my riding mower. Screw the gun, I'm more worried about getting up off the garage floor than any BG coming around. If one did, he's gonna have to help me with the mower before he gets anything.

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
Retired and in COVID hermit mode I almost always have a Kahr P380 in my front pocket in a DeSantis SuperFly holster regardless of what I'm doing. When I go out into the wilds of civilization (you know, Lowe's, Wally World, the dentist) it's usually a Sig P365 IWB. But regardless of the activities, I'm armed.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Mow the lawn? Bite your tongue, sir! When the temp moves into the mid-upper 90’s and the humidity climbs above 80, only crazies and folks getting PAID mow lawns. That activity would more closely resemble taking a hot shower. Everybody knows you can only carry a Glock under such conditions. 😂

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes I carry while mowing, I use my "I'm not carrying a gun" gun - my S&W Model 38 Bodyguard (original bodyguard). I use an old Safariland 540 belt holster (purchased back in the late 80s) under a camp shirt. Speed strip in front strong hand pocket.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My mowing the grass gun is a Kahr CW380 or sometimes a 642. But I live in the country and the gun is really more for copperheads than anything. But in these crazy times, it's good to be armed always.

·
Registered
36,074 Posts
We have gardeners who come one morning a week. I carry my routine guns and drink coffee while they work.
They've made vehicles impossible to work on any more, even changing the oil is a pain. Taking care of my minefield is one of my last chores I can still do and will do it as long as I am able. I use a rider and run the weed eater only when it really needs it like every two to three weeks. It's my exercise these days. I may give it up when the mower croaks--have you see what a rider costs these days?--but until then...

·
Registered
95 Posts
carry G19 in a LEATHER OWB and a second mag as well nearlty ALL the time. The older and more frail I become the more I look like a easy target (least wise in my mind). Due to heat and humidity almost always have a undershirt on. Only comes off to shower or to the night stand for overnight and then it goes into another leather holster. Would not want to confuse the trigger with the snooze button!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts