Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new recoil spring for my CW9 and I was looking a the Wolff springs site and they did not have CW9 listed. The closest they had would be for a K9, would this work? It said that the factory spring is rated at 20 pds. I wonder if that is accurate for the CW9 or if that is for the K9? The reason I ask is that they had a range of strengths from 18lbs to 23 lbs.

I looked on the Kahr site and they wanted $8 for the spring plus $6 for shipping. The shipping seems high so I figured if it is the same cost might as well get a Wolff spring as everyone I have heard speaks highly of them.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I believe Kahr uses Wolff springs as factory original anyway. The polymer and steel framed guns may have a different diameter. The P9 may be the comparable spring to the CW9, not the K9

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I don't know for certain, but, other than a few extras, the K9 and CW9 have the same length slide and frame. It should work for both.

I don't know what it is like for you, but for me, getting that recoil spring and guide rod back in to the Cw9 takes quite a bit of effort!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really have never had much trouble reassembling but after I cleaned it the other day, functioned fine looked good did not fire it but everything was in order. I get ready to load up and go to the city and I notice the guide rod is like a 1/4 sticking out in front of the slide. Uh oh, I try to take the slide off....crap it won't come off. I kept fiddling with it and finally got it disassembled and the spring has jumped over the lip of the guide rod thus pushing the guide rod out a little bit. Wonder if I did anything wrong on re assembly?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
yep, the spring was re-installed backwards! Almost all semi-auto handguns can be subject to problems if the recoil spring in turned 180 degrees. The "closed end" (smaller diameter) always goes towards the "head of the thumb tack" of the guide rod... i.e. towards the rear of the gun. The larger diameter end must be in the milled recess of the slide.

surv

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doh! :twak:

Figured I screwed up somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts