Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's how to create your own personalized map to show which states honor your state's concealed weapons permit.

Go to http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and click on the highlighted link in the first paragraph on the home page. Right click on the map to save it to your computer, then use Paint to open it, then use the Fill tool to color in the states you want. (Hint: position the Fill tool icon exactly over the state's abbreviation. Make sure the icon does not overlap the state's borders).

Here's mine, showing the states that honor Montana's permit.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
That's a handy tool.

I'd still probably double check with the states that I was going to travel in to make sure. Also need to check out local restrictions too.

Either mistake could prove costly.

Thanks for the post Capn.

Hay, I'm sure that little guys finger is off the triger because of proper training, Right, and has noting to do with the fact that it looks like his finger isn't long enough to reach.:hand10:

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hay, I'm sure that little guys finger is off the triger because of proper training, Right, and has noting to do with the fact that it looks like his finger isn't long enough to reach.
Well, of course, it's proper training!:haha: (Plus his water pistol is unloaded)!:image035:

·
Registered
835 Posts
MO's good in 20 now? Cool :) Gone up since the last time I checked.

My most common travel destinations: KS, NY, IL, NC, PA, WI, IA, NE

I'm just out of luck, aren't I :(

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Be careful with what these maps tell you.

For example, Florida and many other states will not accept non-resident permits.

·
Registered
822 Posts
True what acparmed stated. Florida WILL NOT accept ANY non-res that they accept from a Resident. You will HAVE to get Florida if you are not in a state that you are a resident that Florida will accept (Oregon is not one of them).

I'm good in 26 states now with Oregon, NH and PA permits. I can gain 8 more if I get Florida and Utah. Besides Florida, NM, VA and Washington (which I may go back to one day) I don't know if the fee is worth it.

If I stay in the West, I may get a non-res in Washington by showing up in person and also Nevada. I may move later on in life to either Nevada, Texas or back to the South, GA or FLA but if I do I'll just get a permit then.

Wayne

·
Registered
944 Posts
Captain Crunch,

Glad you like the map. Do check out the rest of Handgunlaw.us.
Just about everything you need to know about any states laws concerning CCW are there. If you need any assistance just click on Contact us at the bottom of any page at Handgunlaw.us and you can email me.

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
acparmed said:
Be careful with what these maps tell you.

For example, Florida and many other states will not accept non-resident permits.
Duly noted.

I didn't mean to imply that the maps were/are the definitive "last word" on the subject of reciprocity. In fact, I made my own map just to show where else my Montana resident CWP was honored. As an exercise, nothing more.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Florida, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina and West Virginia are the states that only honor permits from the residents of the states they honor. All other states will honor a resident or non resident permit from the states they honor. Handgunlaw.us gives you all that information.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome Gary Slider

Gary,

If you are the Gary Slider of Packing.org...you have my warmest welcome and great regards.

Combat carry and packing.org are the 2 best sites for CCW info!

Welcome, thank :congrats: you...and glad you are on board!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Gary - welcome indeed :smilez:

I tweaked the basic map and it yields as follows per right now for me - pity I am still ''surrounded'' by hostiles for when I want to get out and travel!!!

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chris,

Too bad our states can't get their acts together. Montana honors Pennsylvania's permit but PA doesn't honor MT.

Sux big time!:mad:

BTW, Gary, welcome to the forum! Great web site!:image035:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
That's surprising and disappointing Crunch - one would tend to assume reciprocal always.

Mind you, my coverage has improved quite a lot over last 3 years and so hopefully this is all an ongoing process. Be good to have ''all for all'' one day, or close to it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Thank you for the warm welcome. I very much appreciate it. I don't post to often on many web sites. I spend most of my time researching information. When I see a post that ask a question about carrying a firearm and the law I will post to that thread if someone has not already posted saying about the same thing I was going to say. I don't post my opinions often as it is just my Opinion.

I like certain guns especially my S&W 3914. Best handgun I have ever owned. I have 3 of them. Best holster to me is the Milt Sparks VM2 and Their double mag pouch. Best Ankle hoster ever made is the Alessi Ankle Rig. Lou Alessi's Upside down "The Guardian" for my 2" S&W Snubbie is the only shoulder holster I have found that conceals a firearm. I am an NRA Instructor and have put over 700 people through the Pistol and Personal Protection classes. The only gun I recommend to anyone is a 4" 357 All Steel Revovler for home defense. You can load it with anything from mild to very hot ammo and revolvers have a very simple manual of arms. I don't recomment any other make or model of firearm because if we were all the same we would all carry one gun and use one holster.

Again Thank you for the warm welcome. I don't read to much on the sites unless the title is something that catches my eye and it concerns the law especially new laws that have been passed etc.
Have a good evening and Keep yourself safe.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Tennessee is good in a lot of states. :yup: I feel sorry for you, P95, surrounded in all that red. :dead:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Wow Betty - you are covered for 28 others by looks of it.

Odd tho - once again there appears to be a reciprocity hiccup - you are not showing PA and yet my PA and FL permits do TN. Hmmm - strange.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee and Utah honor any states permit. Vermont and Alaska allows anyone who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without any type of permit. Click on "Who Honors My Permit" in the left collumn on the main page at Handgunlaw.us and you will see a chart that list every state and whose permit that state honors and you can also see a list showing all the permits that any state honors. Check out Handgunlaw.us . About everything you want to know about a states CCW laws is there.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Anyone else notice my own map to the left? I have them divided up into my Indiana, Pennsylvania and Utah.

Thanks to Gary Slider. Good job, Gary.

Looking at my Non resident CCW chart, I can only pick up additional individual states if I apply for a Maine, Connecticut and Nevada licenses.

I purposely neglect to mention Iowa, Massachusettes, Rhode Island, DC, New Jersey and Maryland because they wouldn't let me have one anyway.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the link, Captain! I've been wondering how you guys did those maps.

Hunting Coyotes said:
Combat carry and packing.org are the 2 best sites for CCW info!
Amen to that!

So how do we go about getting more reciprocal states or even changing the restrictions in our own states? PA is pretty good, being a "shall issue, no test" state (so far). But who makes the rules? How can a citizen impact those rules? Do we contact our legislators, the AG's office, or is there an agency or a committee or what?

LibertyGal

1 - 20 of 27 Posts