Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Ruger American 22lr bolt action that I really enjoy. It's accurate but not what I would refer to as ACCURATE. I'd like to get something with a heavy barrel. I've narrowed it down to a CZ or a Savage. I like that the Savage can come stock with a synthetic barrel and has an adjustable trigger but CZ bolt action 22's have quite the reputation for being amazingly accurate. What do you think? Is the CZ worth the extra 200 bucks?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I am speaking purely from a utilitarian standpoint...no, while a very nice rifle and capable...the Savage will do everything that it will do, for less money and less grief from being scuffed about, if you use it in the field.

But, the Savage will not be nearly as pleasant to look at nor feel as good in the hand.

To me, it is kinda the tale of 2 different rifles.JMO

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like my CZ, it is very accurate.
If you sell it down the track you will recover some of the extra initial outlay.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I looked at the CZ and settled on the Ruger American bolt action. For just plinking and having fun with a .22 I love the Ruger and alot less expensive than the CZ. I guess it depends on what type of shooting you will be doing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I currently have a Ruger American 22lr bolt action that I really enjoy. It's accurate but not what I would refer to as ACCURATE. I'd like to get something with a heavy barrel. I've narrowed it down to a CZ or a Savage. I like that the Savage can come stock with a synthetic barrel and has an adjustable trigger but CZ bolt action 22's have quite the reputation for being amazingly accurate. What do you think? Is the CZ worth the extra 200 bucks?

No, I dont think so..do I think the CZ is a real nice gun YES. do I think its WORTH $200 more than the Savage NO..why it isnt that much more.. I actually have 2 guns I will compare to the CZ. My kid actually has a youth model of the Savage you reference..its fully as ACCURATE as the CZ is...the wood isnt near as nice as the CZ though. I also have a Zastava Z5 which cost me LESS than $200 and it will run right with the CZ in Silhouette competitions thats not a uninformed observation...thats a result from direct competition. I have less in my whole set up($99 intensity optics scope and rifle than most CZ guys have in just their gun and I can run with and sometimes beat them.. that said with the right ammo the kids Savage is as accurate as the Z5 and CZ.. If you just MUST have the nicer looking wood/bragging rights get the CA if you want just as ACCURATE a gun get the Savage

·
Registered
327 Posts
Synthetic barrel? Anyway, I love the look of my 455 American, it shoots nicely too. Honestly, I think my Marlin 60 that I tweaked a bit outshoots the CZ, but the CZ is still fine to hold and shoot. I have to agree that from utilitarian standpoint the Savage will be a nice gun for less outlay, but the CZ is a very nice gun.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I had a hard time convincing myself to buy the CZ, when I could get the Savage and a Nikon Prostaff rimfire scope at the same price.

I refer to my savage as "boringly accurate". After a couple of magazines, I start to get bored, and need to find more challenging targets than paper.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Savage makes a lot of accuracy for a little money. But if you like a little fancy to go with that accuracy, the CZ is the way to go. I have several CZ bolt .22, and the fit/finish is worth it to me.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Get the CZ. Love mine. Don't regret spending the extra money. Mine is a 17. With the price/availability of 22lr the 17 made since to me. There are a lot of folks claiming 100 yard groups that you can cover with a dime. I won't believe that until I see it. The CZ mounts will cost you more. Still worth it to me.

·
Super Moderator
19,392 Posts
If I was squeezing nickels, I'd buy the Ruger American, but - I'm not. I have two CZ455s, a Varmint in .22 WMR which has yet to wow me with exceptional accuracy, and a 455 Full Stock in .22 LR which has won me over as simply an endearing, all-purpose rimfire.

Accuracy? Depends on what your standards are. I've got a pair of "built" 10/22s which can occasionally register 1/4-3/8" groups at 50 yards. With good ammo, the 455FS and an "okay" Weaver RV-9 scope will crank out sub-3/4" 50-yard groups all day long, and it's still being broken in with maybe 500 rounds through it. The bolt cycles like it's on ball bearings compared to my tweaked Ruger 77/22 and it mounts easily. I had my doubts about the "hogback" stock with its European drop, but with a low-mounted scope it's close to perfect for me. I've improved the trigger a wee bit with an adjustable sear and a lighter return spring, and I don't foresee any other significant tweaks coming like bedding the action.

On a performance-per-dollar basis the Ruger American will come out ahead, but if you prefer wood over plastic, and a smooth action, I'd find the extra coin to get a CZ. Just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I have a CZ 455 Lux. The thing is just absurdly accurate. Now, I bought it strictly to shoot open sights. So that was part of it for me. The standard stock is truly set up for open sights. If you want to scope it, get the American. There is a reason you will see a line of CZ's at any youth .22 rifle shooting match. They are that good and not as much money as the big names in accuracy. I've never shot a gun so easily with open sights as I have this one. Can't imagine what it could do scoped.

I also have 2 FVSR's that are great little guns. Minute of clay bird at 50 yards all day long with either of my girls. I can stretch it out to 100 once I dial the scope in and smoke clays with it. It's not something I've seriously tried to measure groups with. But when the kids get bored at 50 I start shooting the pieces that are left on the berm and break nearly every one I shoot at. They are solid guns as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts