Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with this rifle? I own a 452 in 22 wmr, one of its predecessors, and it's a fine rimfire. I'm just curious about the "improvements" made on the newer model.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I've been considering the 457 "training" rifle for some time. Looks like a fun quality iron sighted plinking/squirrel rifle.

·
Super Moderator
19,680 Posts
Lots of reviews over on RimfireCentral.com. I'm a big fan of CZ rimfires, with a pair of 455s here. The 455FS (full stock - Mannlicher style) is a delight to carry in the field and plenty accurate for field work.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. My only hesitancy is the apparent total lack of magazines for the "new" 457 model. Even the CZ-USA website doesn't offer them. I asked a seller on Gunbroker if the 455 22wmr mags would work with the 457 and he said, "no." I simply won't buy a firearm that only has a single mag and no more available.

Reactions: QKShooter

·
Super Moderator
19,680 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My only hesitancy is the apparent total lack of magazines for the "new" 457 model. Even the CZ-USA website doesn't offer them. I asked a seller on Gunbroker if the 455 22wmr mags would work with the 457 and he said, "no." I simply won't buy a firearm that only has a single mag and no more available.
Better check again: https://www.cz-parts.com/cz-452-453-455-steel-magazine-22-lr-10rnd
It appears CZ-USA has moved its parts to a separate web site, no longer on the same site as the guns. They catalog 455 magazines as the same for 457.

·
Super Moderator
18,668 Posts
I admire CZ products generally and have cast an eye on their line of .22 bolt-action rifles for some years.

CZ's website for the CZ 457 American

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Acquired a CZ 455 American about 1-1/2 years ago. Outstanding quality! The newer 457 is very similar, I think the only change of real functional substance is the safety lever on the bolt shroud, making it a bit easier to operate.

Mine came with 1" steel CZ scope rings, which I recommend. Again, excellent quality. I added a Williams receiver sight and front ramp with bead, which I prefer for small game hunting. Have a Tasco World Class 3-9X40 in the rings now and ready for a trip to the range to see what the 455 will do at extended range.

I like the CZ every bit as much as my old Anschutz 164 sporter, which one of my grandchildren enticed away from my gun safe. Design, production quality, and finish are equal to the Anschutz. The CZ also offers the option of easily interchangeable barrels (.22LR, .22WMR, .17HMR) for those wishing for more possible uses.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I've gotten enough contradictory info on the 22wmr magazines that I've decided against the 457 altogether, even though I really like my 452 but I still have nightmares over the hassles in getting a 2nd magazine for that rifle, years ago. I can't understand my CZ doesn't make their mags easily and broadly available.

·
Super Moderator
19,680 Posts
Well, I've gotten enough contradictory info on the 22wmr magazines that I've decided against the 457 altogether, even though I really like my 452 but I still have nightmares over the hassles in getting a 2nd magazine for that rifle, years ago. I can't understand my CZ doesn't make their mags easily and broadly available.
Just curious, what part of this was contradictory?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just curious, what part of this was contradictory?
View attachment 338235
The part where I questioned Gunbroker vendors who responded with, "The 455 won't fit in the 457."

In any case, I decided to go with a Savage 22wmr, because there's no confusion attached to their magazines.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took my new Savage 93G to the range a few days ago. I mounted a Vortex scope on it and once it was zeroed in, this is one accurate 22wmr. Love the Accutrigger.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love my CZ452 varmint in 22wmr. I also really like a Savage MkII I've had for awhile, so I have no complaints with the 93G. The wood even has a little bit of figure to it. I realize it's just dyed beech or some other low price lumber, but it looks good. Doesn't compare to the 452, but the Savage was a little over half the price of a 457.

No regrets.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I was looking at one of their rifles, but getting a response from their customer service is impossible. I wish I had something positive to say.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I think that the CZ is one of the Finest .22 B/A 22 rifles you can buy. I have a 22lr full stock 452 with a Leupold Rimfire 2-7 Scope. The trigger guard was replaced with a DIP Industries Milled Steel one
CZ452 (2).JPG

·
Registered
709 Posts
No experience with a 457 yet, but I plan to buy one. I have a couple 452’s and a 455 and like them. I’ll probably end up with a 457 MTR for the match chamber. I wish the VPT came with the match chamber.
I finally got one, a 457 American. I put 175 rounds of cheap Blazer Ammo through it a few days ago. It’s too early to judge how accurate it is. I’ll put another couple hundred rounds of cheap stuff through it, adjust the trigger and change the trigger spring then put some good Ammo through it and see what I’ve got.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Like the OP, I always want a spare magazine for anything with detachable magazines. I ordered a new factory CZ magazine for my 455, and the packaging clearly states it is made for the 452, 455, 457, and 512.

Also offered is a single-shot adapter, takes the place of the magazine and provides an easy method for loading the chamber with single rounds. A good idea for training young shooters.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts