Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a current thread on "if you could have only 5 firearms" I noted that some folks, that I hold in high regard to be clear, had some sub model of the CZ 75 on their list of only 5..... If Gasmitty and PEF would stack this gun next to, or above a Model 19, then I'm very interested.

I'm not a 9mm guy but I've come to the conclusion that I need to put one in the stable. I've never owned a 9. Mrs Savage had one for awhile so we did have one in la casa but never a mainstay here. Anyway, I own a CZ carbine that I like quite a lot so I'm a fan of the brand.

Tell me guys....what's the magic of the 75?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Jeff Cooper liked it!!! Some claim its the most copied pistol design in history. The pro shooters sure do like them for competition. Its an awesome blend of 1911 and Browning Hi Power goodness. All that aside its crazy accurate, fits like a glove, more reliable than death and taxes, sexxy as heck with some nice grips, lots of firepower and when all else fails you can beat someone to death with all that all metal construction. I only own one CZ its a PCR model and its tied with my 1911 as m6 favorite pistol. CZ is good to go even my Glock friends will admit that its a heck of a gun and they all seem to shoot it better then their gblocks.

·
Super Moderator
18,790 Posts
Rabbit212, you didn't do a bad job describing the CZ 75 guns with your appealing post.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If Cooper liked it, that's almost equal points to PEF and Gasmitty. They too are legends in their own right.

Anyway, it's interesting to turn the page and peek into an area that I've previously ignored. I don't find the 75 to be a particularly handsome gun. But the fan base has my attention. Heck, Bryan has weighed in and I'm always interested when he strays from S&W classics. It tells me something is going on. Guess I've been living in the dark.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Softest shooting and most accurate 9mm I own or have personally fired. Too heavy for CC for me but it's on my bedstand as I type.

Looks like this now

rsz_cz75-1.jpg

But I want to dress it up with walnut grips like my RAMI

Rami-walnut1RszDark.jpg

Reactions: craze and bigpapa

·
Super Moderator
18,790 Posts
svghearland;

I've been playing with a CZ 75BD I've had since a gun show in December 2015. Sometime fairly soon, I'd like to post a review here, but I'd like to amass more shooting time with it. I also need the right leather holster (I already bought a wrong leather holster) so I can tote it some, beside as an extra car gun on some of our extended road trips.

Preliminary opinion of it is that it's a keeper big time. gasmitty was a bad influence and was directly responsible for influencing me. Seems like Gman was pretty keen on the CZ 75 about the time I first warmed to the notion of the pistol which was a year or two before acquiring one.

·
Super Moderator
19,885 Posts
Svg -

The reputation of the CZ75 got me interested, and a summer closeout sale presented a buying opportunity I couldn't refuse. But silly me, I owned that gun for more than 3 years before I shot it - I had some facacta notion about owning at least one NIB gun. Fortunately, my shooting buddy shamed me into shooting it!

Once I ran some rounds through the gun, I knew it was a keeper. Having been a 1911 guy for a bunch of years I was no stranger to a full-size gun, and the double-stack grip was just a tad fatter than that of a 1911 with thick grips. I'm not a huge fan of traditional DA automatics mainly because of the way most safeties function, but the ability of the CZ75 to be carried cocked and locked AND the "proper" movement of the safety lever (down to fire) eliminates that as a disqualifier.

You mention the "19" - I assume you mean the Glock 19 and not the Smith & Wesson 19! I do own a Glock 23, but the blockiness of the grip and the grip angle have kept it from being a natural pointer for me. I did a couple of training courses with the G23 as an "immersion" strategy and I did OK, but I had to work at it. The CZ75 fits my hand better, almost like a 1911.

I've run the CZ in club matches in both Limited and Production classes to get more trigger time with it. I normally shoot single stack (.45 for USPSA, 9mm for steel) but I'm really sold on the gun and if funds permit I may invest in one of the CZ Custom Shop's Shadow models that Angus Hobdell has breathed on, just for the games. Like Bryan, I need to find some good carry leather for the CZ and when I do it'll get out of the house more.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You simply can not go wrong with the CZ 75 and many of its clones. I currently have 5 clones all in 9mm except one in .45 cal. All of them are fantastic shooters. My full size Canik TP9sa is a nail driver right from the factory and you just can't beat the price. Another is the Canik Shark which is basically the CZ 75 compact. In fact I like these clones so much I haven't felt a need to get a CZ but I still want one.

The low bore axis is noticeable in felt recoil; especially if you shoot it right after shooting a Glock, Sig, Baretta, etc. This means faster back on target with less flinch (for those who are still having trouble with that). Canik and Sarsilmaz are both made in Turkey and sometimes to NATO standards which means they will last up to 50k rounds (supposedly). I think the CZ is made to this standard as well. Fit and finish is nicer on the CZ but then you are paying over twice as much as well.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Softest shooting and most accurate 9mm I own or have personally fired. Too heavy for CC for me but it's on my bedstand as I type.
Hey Rainsong, how do you like your CZ 2075 RAMI I've being looking to get one one day?

Reactions: Rainsong

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I have a 75D PCR Compact.

Pros - Great ergos (for me); has been extremely reliable; no "mag disconnect" safety; decocker (which I prefer); very accurate slow fire (once you figure out the trigger); very good point shooter (for me); alloy frame reduces weight; soft shooter.

Cons - average, but serviceable, sights (but it's not a target pistol); trigger creep before sear disengages (again, it's a service pistol, not a target pistol; I'm not a "trigger whore" so I can work work with just about any semi-auto trigger).

Oddity - the slide rails sit inside the frame. Makes the slide a bit slimmer. Not good or bad, just different.

I chose it as one of the five because I carry it more than my .45 Government. I've always been able to shoot it well, right from the first magazine out of the box. I can't say it's "better" than, say a Glock or an XD or an M&P. While it may not have the crisp SA trigger of a SIG P series, it does cost significantly less than an alloy-framed SIG.

So for me it's a combo of good ergos, accurate rapid shooter, and good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
My main carry is a 75 compact. Heavy it is @40 oz loaded, length and height it is very similar to my 229, but it is thin in the slide which makes it an easy carry. It seems so much smaller.
The grip fits my little hand perfectly and being all steel makes it very well mannered in action.

I also have a P-06 .40 which I like even more, but it's my only rail gun so it gets cuddle duty instead of carry. It has an alloy frame, a few ounces lighter.

I put CGW parts kit in the 75 which took the creep out of the trigger and lightened the DA pull, that right there makes it a way better gun than my Sig 229, for me anyway.

The fit and finish on the P-06 is better than any Sig I have owned.

I keep saying that I will buy another 1911 this year, but the pull of a SP-01 full size CZ may be too strong.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Tell me guys....what's the magic of the 75?
svg ... Time tested design, excellent ergonomics, fits my hands perfectly, extremely accurate in my experience and looks darn good doing it IMHO :smile:. My stainless steel 75b (now with over 16,000 trouble free rounds) rarely misses a range trip and remains the most accurate 9mm in my collection (out shoots my Hi-Powers).

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
svghearland;

I've been playing with a CZ 75BD I've had since a gun show in December 2015. Sometime fairly soon, I'd like to post a review here, but I'd like to amass more shooting time with it. I also need the right leather holster (I already bought a wrong leather holster) so I can tote it some, beside as an extra car gun on some of our extended road trips.

Preliminary opinion of it is that it's a keeper big time. gasmitty was a bad influence and was directly responsible for influencing me.

Seems like Gman was pretty keen on the CZ 75
about the time I first warmed to the notion of the pistol which was a year or two before acquiring one.
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's great to touch on a subject that brings such positive response! Allow me to say thanks to all. It's interesting to note that CZ 75 owners are a fairly articulate bunch and that's always helpful.

As I've said, both the CZ and the 9mm are relatively unknown to me. Who wants experience in all things at a single point in time? There would be nothing to look forward to. Still, I feel like I've really had a blind spot where the 75 family is concerned. Side stepping the caliber has been a personal decision that I made a few decades ago but I'm beginning to reconsider. As I feel the old joints stiffen a tad more everyday I'm thinking that broader options may be wise.

I was in a nearby shop a couple of weeks ago and spotted the new Springfield 9mm bobtail 1911. Wow, what a looker. It thought it might be a great introductory path to the caliber. And I suspect that I'm right in that but of course, when I went back to inspect it some days later, it was gone. They tried to push my attention towards a full sized Canik but it wasn't working at all. There's no comparison between the drop dead looks of that bobtail and a desert tan, Turkish (I think) knock off. I'm not disparaging the Canik, I just wasn't having any of it.

But I'm happy to put a taste test in my future between a 1911 and a CZ, both in 9mm. That sounds like bottled wisdom. The CZ price point would probably leave me with a fair stack of bills for ammo and/or components. I've got hundreds of rounds around here to get me started if that day comes.

Ah.....like I needed new perfume to chase.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Svg -

The reputation of the CZ75 got me interested, and a summer closeout sale presented a buying opportunity I couldn't refuse. But silly me, I owned that gun for more than 3 years before I shot it - I had some facacta notion about owning at least one NIB gun. Fortunately, my shooting buddy shamed me into shooting it!

Once I ran some rounds through the gun, I knew it was a keeper. Having been a 1911 guy for a bunch of years I was no stranger to a full-size gun, and the double-stack grip was just a tad fatter than that of a 1911 with thick grips. I'm not a huge fan of traditional DA automatics mainly because of the way most safeties function, but the ability of the CZ75 to be carried cocked and locked AND the "proper" movement of the safety lever (down to fire) eliminates that as a disqualifier.

You mention the "19" - I assume you mean the Glock 19 and not the Smith & Wesson 19! I do own a Glock 23, but the blockiness of the grip and the grip angle have kept it from being a natural pointer for me. I did a couple of training courses with the G23 as an "immersion" strategy and I did OK, but I had to work at it. The CZ75 fits my hand better, almost like a 1911.

I've run the CZ in club matches in both Limited and Production classes to get more trigger time with it. I normally shoot single stack (.45 for USPSA, 9mm for steel) but I'm really sold on the gun and if funds permit I may invest in one of the CZ Custom Shop's Shadow models that Angus Hobdell has breathed on, just for the games. Like Bryan, I need to find some good carry leather for the CZ and when I do it'll get out of the house more.
Smitty....I was referencing a Model 19. If I could have only one sidearm, the Model 19 would be a very likely candidate for me. So in stacking "the list of 5", the Model 19 becomes a reference point, for me, in considering all others.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
View attachment 175522
View attachment 175530
That green grip one is mine with some honest wear and tear the handsome fellow with the wood grips is off the net. Svgheartland how can you not say these are some good looking pistols?
I stand corrected Rabbit. Those are easy on the eye. It may be ridiculous to admit but sexier guns shoot more accurately for me. Like a clean car just seems to run better.

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
No CZ's but I have a clone, a Witness Compact in .45 I picked up used for $350. Handles .45 just fine, decent trigger, great ergonomics, reliable (with new mags, the ones it came with were apparently shot). Can't ask for much more for the price.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
.... Allow me to say thanks to all. It's interesting to note that CZ 75 owners are a fairly articulate bunch and that's always helpful......
Would this be in comparison to ..... Ah .... I don't know .... Ah ... glock owners :scratchchin: :gah:

Reactions: OD* and Struckat
1 - 20 of 28 Posts