Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a whim I stopped in a gun shopa nd saw 2 380 Walther clones.
One was a Hungarian FEG(?) and the other was CZ. Both looked in good condition, and the price was in the mid $200s. Looked to be a good CCW.
Any info? Do you have one and what do you think?
This is not meant for a slam the manufacturer. Just the facts.....

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
One was a Hungarian FEG(?) and the other was CZ. Both looked in good condition, and the price was in the mid $200s. Looked to be a good CCW.
9x18 Makarov is a capable little round. I have a couple of Polish P-64 pistols made at the famed Radom Arsenal #11 where the famous Radom VIS 35 was made. The VIS 35 is regarded by many as the best pistol of WWll. You can buy P-64's from J&G Sales for less than $160 and they are great little shooters.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a FEG .380. Not a bad little carry gun. A bit too big for the .380 round but it is reliable. The trigger is heavey but if you can live with it go for it. The Chechs make some of the best guns around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Polish P-64, stout little pistol that is accurate, & a SMC-918 (FEG) that is accurate and an easy carry. Both are in 9x18 Makarov and both are well made sturdy pistols. SMC is lite, good shooter. Sites on the clones can be tiny, but there are ways to eluminate. Here is a link to other 9x18 pistols & walther type clones. Makarov.com - Other Pistols

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Can't give you any inputs on the FEG, as for the CZ it depends on the model. If it is a model 82 it is a surplus weapon, chambered for the 9X18 Mak. If it is a model 83 it is a civilian version and will be either .32 or .380. Both are well built, quality firearms.

If it is a model 82 the price is a little high, you can order them on line for about $200.00. If it is a model 83 then the price sounds like a good deal. The 83 MSRP is about $500.00.

·
Registered
125 Posts
pa63 is my primary carry gun. i have had it for years and put alot of rounds through it with no gun faulted ftf.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I beleive the FEG PA-63 is the only Soviet-block PPK look-alike that has the light weight frame. They make excellent carry pistols. If the trigger pull on yours does not thrill you, for a few bucks you can replace the main and recoil springs for a huge improvement.

The CZ-82 is my favorite of the Soviet surplus pistols. Being all steel, it is a bit heavy, but I have carried it. Either of these pistols would serve you well. Around here, the FEG is under $220 out the door, and the CZ-82 is about $250. Those prices inlcude all shipping and FFL fees and sales tax.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

If the CZ you saw was the CZ82, while similar in size and blowback operation its not a clone of the Walther PP series and its a much better handgun in my opinion. Its chambered in caliber 9X18 (Makarov). They are the best bargin going today in a quality handgun and since they are C&R guns its even better. CZ pistols in general are great handguns. You may have seen the CZ83 which is still in production and its a .380 caliber gun, the CZ82 is a surplus handgun that was used by the Czech military and police.

·
Registered
274 Posts
you may want to check for one at cdnn, IIRC they had some for
$139 in their newest catalog

CDNN Sports, Inc.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
9X18

The gun looks like the pa63 depicted above

According to the reasearch I did, there are 3 9MM rounds:
9X17 AKA 380
9X18 which is a russian round somwhere inbetween the 17 and 19
9X19 which is the standard 9mm.
Question is: will the 9X17 function correctly in the gun made for a 9X18?

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
The gun looks like the pa63 depicted above

According to the reasearch I did, there are 3 9MM rounds:
9X17 AKA 380
9X18 which is a russian round somwhere inbetween the 17 and 19
9X19 which is the standard 9mm.
Question is: will the 9X17 function correctly in the gun made for a 9X18?
Probably not, since the 9X17 (.380) is going to carry a lighter powder load. I'd guess you'd encounter FTE problems with it.

I would not recommend firing a load that is not designed for the gun. You're risking serious injury and possible damage to the gun.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
9X18

Probably not, since the 9X17 (.380) is going to carry a lighter powder load. I'd guess you'd encounter FTE problems with it.

I would not recommend firing a load that is not designed for the gun. You're risking serious injury and possible damage to the gun.
Thats what I was thinking.
I will keep on looking.
I really want a PPK, but their prices went thru the roof.
Thanks all.
Merry Christmas and happy new year to all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
9 mm Pistol Rounds

Actually there are about 18 different pistol rounds that are considered to be 9mm.

They are:

9x18mm Ultra
.380 ACP
9x18mm Police
9mm Glisenti
9x19mm Parabellum
.357 SIG
9mm Browning Long
9x21mm IMI
9x23mm Steyr
9mm Bergman/Bergman-Bayard
9mm Mauser Pistol
9mm Winchester Magnum
.356 TSW (Team Smith & Wesson)
.38 Auto
.38 Super Auto
9x23mm Winchester
9x18mm Makarov
9.8mm Auto Colt

Neil in PA

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an FEG PPK. It is well built, fires everytime and likes a stiff grip, but the thing is heavy. I carry it often though.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

The .380 round will chamber and fire from a 9x18 handgun like the CZ82 or Makarov but its not recommended or really safe to do it. And why do it? Just buy the right ammo for the right handgun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a P64. With any 9x18 FMJ round, never had a misfire, light strike or FTE of any kind. It does not like Silver Bear HP but does just fine with Hornady HP. I shoot the heck out of mine as BUG. Even with a broken part internally, it just keeps shooting! I put a rubber slip on grip and that took care of some of the rough spots on the plastic grips that make it uncomfortable with it's recoil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently picked up a Polish P-64. It turned out to be a real nice shooter! I bought mine from J&G and have thus far been impressed with the accuracy. Only downside the the pistol is the hard da trigger pull, but if your going to cc it, then it is a plus.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've been very pleased with both my Hungarian PA-63 and the CZ-82; both use the same 9mm Makarov round.

I also handload for each with cast lead bullets, and both are 100% reliable.

JG in Arizona sells cheap Makarov ammo made in Russia.

gold40

1 - 20 of 20 Posts