Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that terms are close to being finalized

·
Registered
38,992 Posts
What exactly is Colt’s malfunction ?
It grew fat on the government's tit and didn't learn how to wean itself into the civilian market.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
What exactly is Colt’s malfunction ?
Where to start?
-They lost a huge government contract for their M4 rifles (reliability problems), and had too little of the civilian market to make up for it. For this reason, I don’t understand why some people hold their rifles in such high regard. The govt kicked them to the curb for product issues!
- They split the company, then merged it. Multiple leaders over that time, very little success came from any of them. And there was a bankruptcy in there too, due to the loss of the govt contract.
-Their market share for handguns never really increased. Their 1911s, at a $1k price point, were overpriced compared to competitor’s guns. For years, people begged for them to bring back the Python. They did last year, only to have well documented issues and critical reviews where they were compared to the older Pythons (which I understand had a higher degree of hand fitting). Why bring them back at all if they aren’t comparable to the legendary revolver?

I don’t get the allure of Colt. My Colt 1911 was more than double the price of my RIA, and it’s fit and finish are not that much better to justify the extra $500. I’ve seen their AR15s...no different from my S&W M&P15, or my PSA ARs. Certainly not worth the price premium.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have been very favorably impressed by CZ products I have inspected. For production grade factory firearms they are at or near the top of the stack, and prices remain within reason for a majority of customers.

My only CZ is a Model 455 American .22LR sporting rifle, acquired about 2 years ago. It has proven itself to be an excellent choice, very accurate, and beautifully made (all blued steel and walnut, like quality firearms should be IMO).

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
There could have been worse suitors, that's for sure.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Nothing new ..Back in the 90s colt teamed up with CZ to bring in a the Cz40 or the like 40 cal handgun sort of a 1911/cz75 mash up ... It did very well and made colt money (as they just branded it and sold it ) till once again colt screwed up and killed it off .. TLDR version idots at colt got into the smart gun market and slaped a rfid reader or the like on the c40 and showed it off ..The bad press nearly killed the company and they scrubbed the deal .

So CZ and colt have work together before .

This would be great for CZ as there guns are very underappreciated in the USA

·
Registered
95 Posts
OMG, If this happens CZ might produce Colts without the famed "Battle Rattle". Colt True Believers will be traumatized, because they know a 1911 type pistol won't work reliably unless it rattles;)

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,151 Posts
Over half of my handguns are Colts and almost half of all of my guns are Colts. They vary from a 1908 Hammerless .25 Vest Pocket built in 1915 to a 1911 Level III Custom Shop built in 2017.

CZ guns are some of the best on the market for the price point. My first 1911 was a CZ - Dan Wesson Valor and it is still one of my favorites.

I would welcome a CZ purchase of Colt.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Colt began its history in financial distress. The Eli Whitney company iicr, saved them at one time when they had a contract for the 44 Walkers.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
At some point the romanticism attached to the Colt name isn't worth the caliber of the product. I know I'm at that point.
I have one Colt, a 1911 that was born in 1919, but have had no desire to acquire any others. Both of the AR's I had I considered superior to any Colt. The quality just doesn't justify the price that the name seems to demand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts