Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on one of the CZ boards digging on the P-07 Duty and reading on some of the quirks/issues. Seems a frame bulge on the right side is a typical complaint and magazine catch problems with early models. Picked one up anyway to go with my other CZ's.

I've been told by a couple of addict HK shooters that they've given up their HK's and gone to the P-07 citing that it actually out-shot the HK. Personally, I think it has a lot to do with the shooter and how the pistol seats in the hand. If it does not appear to center in the hand, it's going to take a grip adjustment to help with accuracy. The P-07 felt like it centered in the hand when I picked it up.

The stippling along the side of the frame for thumb placement was one of the big things I liked, the decocking lever was another. Feels great in the hand, centers quick, easy to pick up the front sight from a draw. If it shoots near as good as the CZ-52 or the Baby Eagle (MRI CZ-75 knock off), I'll be satisfied. Just wish they had a way to get the CZ-75 mags to fit...even with an X-grip adapter.

Anyone here have experience with the P-07?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
With the demise of CZ Shooters. Is there another CZ specific board out there?

All the good and bad about the P-07 can be found on my forum.

I'd have no qualms about owning or shooting a "Bulgie" P-07.

-------------------------------------------------------------

P07 Duty Club

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that review.

Can't wait to get mine on Thursday! Happy birthday to me...happy birthday to me!

I discovered that the Crossbreed holster for my Baby Eagle II will comfortably accomodate the P-07. How nice is that?

Clarkston CZ, I'm there already (Dorkfish). Love the board since I have a 52 and a 70 as well!

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Glad to have you with us.

(I really do hope you have an uneventful experience with the Duty.)

After waiting for almost 2 years of secrecy over the gun.

The problems with them don't seem to inspire much confidence..
but if you look at other maker's first year products, you will
find the same thing.

CZ will set everything right, and the gun will become even more
popular.

Hopefully, it should be smooth sailing when the .40 Dutys hit our shores
next year.

KEV

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I purchased one a couple weeks ago and with my crazy schedule of late I have not had a chance to get it to the range.....its killing me. I am a big CZ fan and have 7 CZ's in my stable so this polymer framed CZ with get the major workout soon. Like all CZ's it feels great in the hand and the ergonomics and controls are placed right where they sould be on a fighting handgun. I have been lovingly fondling it evey night and can't wait to break her in right! Normally I do not like to buy a firearm that has just hit the shelves but for the OTD price I paid $420 I will take a chance on a CZ. There is a lot to like about this handgun.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 Very classy pics!

Picked up the P-07 this afternoon. Already have a little speed bump, but nothing seriously unresolvable or unusual. Bulge is present and in the exact location as all the rest. Definately has a slight magazine hang-up when loaded (doesn't when empty as long as you don't set it in too far).

Feels awesome in the hands. Was worried when I saw the 25m test fire target (looks computer generated on a laser bullet), but at that distance if they managed to get a group, even on a laser, I'm impressed.

I know of 2 HK owners that have sold and gone to the P-07. Stay tuned for a range report this week! Might even have some video. Got to love gun pron.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll get you some nice range shots if I can get my wife to go with me and take my camera and tripod. We'll run it in action mode to get rapid photos.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Count me in as another recent P-07 owner.
I got mine about two weeks ago and I'm also champing at the bit to hit the range. Looks like I'll be heading out there Wednesday. ( Thanks Bunny! :smile: )

·
Registered
521 Posts
They sure seem priced right. Gun-tests did a review on them and it was very positive. And I saw one recently on gunbroker for 399$.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
CZ price list wise. A whopping $160 less than the comparable P-01.
I'm sure the low price is why some people are picking them up.

The gun is having a few teething problems, but features the good stuff that
CZs are reknown for like.

Superb ergonomics, accuracy and a growing fan base.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Range report #1

First range report was from an outdoor range that allows holster work.

Ammo: WWB target. 115 gr fmj.
Range: 15 yards
Conditions: Sunny, no wind, no humidity

Shot two five round very slow fire sessions to get everything worked in a little. Disassembled and checked contact points. Swabbed the bore, reassembled, continued to next series after 20 minutes.

1 magazine, 10 rounds, slow fire: I managed to forget that these are supposed to be POI = POA at 25 meters. Big oops on my part. That said, it was shooting low at 15 yards, which it should not be. According to bullet arc, the 9mm 115 gr should be starting it's downward arc at 15 yards or already in it. So if POI is POA at 25m, then it should have hit high at 15 yards, not below the target.

1 magazine, 10 rounds, slow fire: Adjusted POA for the 15 yard issue. Still slightly low, but on the paper. Keep in mind, I have not worked fundamentals on this firearm, this is the first trip with it for me. Disassembled, swabbed, reassembled.

2 magazines, 10 rounds ea, holster drill, rapid fire/mag change/front sight reactive fire at 15 yards: groupings were still low at this close of range, the POI = POA at 25m is a very negative point and should NEVER be on a defensive handgun, the LEO stats on distances for police shootings are proof enough for that (CZ needs to correct this problem, it's a big one, simply notching the front sight post will do the trick). Groupings were tight for firing an unfamiliar firearm rapid fire, inside a 6 inch circle w/o issue.

Before anyone blasts what I noted, please understand that I'm former military and used to teach Primary Marksmanship Instruction at my particular unit. Also, I did not follow my usual protocols of shooting ONLY at an indoor range at just 7 yards to work fundamentals and familiarization.

Noted Negatives: POI = POA at 25m is not a good thing, one shouldn't have to think about POI = POA @ 25m during reaction shooting (I don't have time to do the math when seconds count, do you?); mags tend to stick which can get someone killed if they can't get it out (almost as though the catch notch isn't tall enough); the front sight design is deceiving as it changes shape slightly when utilizing front sight shooting tactics; the chamber scratches the crap out of the casings; the trigger is a big disappointment for me, very long heavy draw in SA (the 1st shot is always the most important), DA almost pulls to the frame (really, who does this?)...needs less full-pull and a much lighter SA trigger; blued ramp and blued frame rails do nothing more than interfere (creates more friction) with the function of the firearm...if the bluing is just going to wear off, then don't put it on.

Noted Positives: Centers in the hand immediately; front sight is very fast to pick up; DA trigger in rapid fire was felt very little and kept getting better; bulge did not get bigger/worse; no FTE; no FTF; no misfires/hangfires; no visible frame flexation problems upon disassemblies; cleaned up very quickly; doesn't seem picky on ammo; pulls from holstered position very well, does not snag.

Will try to get an indoor RR tonight after class. So far, great shooter, will be able to tell how well once it's indoors.

Would sure be nice if the CZ-75 .22lr kit fit this!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Range report #2

Much better day today as I was at the Bass Pro indoor range.

Ammo: Remington UMC green box; 115 gr fmj
Range: 7 yds, 15 yds, 25 yds respectively
Conditions: Indoors/Controlled

Series 1: 7 yards for fundamentals. 2 magazines 5 rounds ea. Overlapping groupings out of all 10 rounds. Loaded next series at 7 yds.

Series 2: 7 yards front sight acquisition drill. 2 magazines 5 rounds ea. Overlapping groupings out of all 10 rounds. Loaded next series at 15 yards.

Series 3: 15 yards slow-fire target drill. 2 magazines 10 rounds ea. 2.5 inch group all 20 rounds, slightly off-set from the previous 2 series. Loaded next series at 15 yards.

Series 4: 15 yards rapid-fire reactive drill. 2 magazines 10 rounds ea. 5 inch group all 20 rounds, slightly off-set from first 2 series. Loaded next series at 25 yards.

Series 5: 25 yards front sight drill. 2 magazines 10 rounds ea. Groups began to open up to 6-8 inches with a couple of strays. Possibly due to the front sight drill and not slow-fire target drill. No off-paper strays at 25 yards out of any of the 50 rounds fired!

Series 7-11: Threat scenario target for fun at 7 yards. No strays out of vital zones, Several rounds overlapping, partially in same holes. Was able to draw a partial smiley face center-mass. Successfully placed 2 rounds per eye and 1 per nostril.

Absolutely amazing shooter! Even the guy shooting the XD next to me couldn't believe how it felt and how it shot. I now want a 3 inch Subcompact version!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I took mine out today too.

I pretty much loaded up the mags are fired away 15 round per target at say, 15-20 ft I guess. I shot 200 rounds. Grouping seemed about as tight as I can make them and as per my usual habits were low and to the left.

I'm not enamored with the sights but I planned on getting night sights at some point anyway. Trigger felt fine to me but I haven't shot many guns. No issues with mags sticking.

It seemed like a softer shooter to me than the other 9s I've fired. The texture on the grip was nice and stuck to my hand. However the textured area above the trigger did wear a hole in my soft software designers thumb. :smile:

Thus far I really like it. I definitely need to work on my form.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree...textured stippling is great and makes it stay planted in the hand. I'm planning on shooting it with Blackhawk SOLAG gloves on this weekend.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh yeah, the P-07 burned through the boxes of ammo pictured without any issues. Man the blazer is some dirty burning stuff. Near the end of the session I was able to fit the 16th round in the mags but it was hard to do.

Slapping a loaded mag home usually dropped the slide and if it didn't drop the first time a quick tap on the bottom of the grip would drop it. I really liked that.

Diver, what holster are you using? I haven't picked one up yet.
I've seen the bladetech one at czcustom.com and the one made by CZ but nothing else. Are you using one of those or something else?

-Edit-
Nevermind, I just noticed you mentioning your holster earlier in the thread.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts