Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I've decided to stick with the CZ platform for my carry gun. My HD/Range gun is the SP-01 Tactical and I love it so much that I see no reason to stray away from CZ.

My decision now is the Rami BD or the PCR.

I have the Ultra-Lite Self Defense Cajun Gun Works Kit in my SP-01 and it is spectacular. I'm not sure if I'd want it in my P-01 or Rami for carry but it turned my SP-01 into my dream gun. I don't even plan on finishing the rest of the Defensive Carry Package any time soon because it is shooting so smooth right now.

A few questions:

I held both the Rami and PCR in the shop today. The PCR definitely reminded me more of my SP-01 in terms of ergonomics. Regarding the grip, I love the stock grips on the PCR and SP-01, however, they are a bit thick. For carry would you suggest switching out the grips for something thinner?

Regarding Night Sights... I love the stock NS on my SP-01 Tactical. Can I get those same sights on a PCR? I prefer the larger size of the 3 dots on my SP-01, though I can work with the smaller ones for carry if I can get them in night sights.

Overall I really like both of them. If the Rami is significantly easier to conceal I'll probably get the Rami. But aside from a half inch in the grip height I really don't see it being that much smaller than the PCR.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
The PCR is a bit larger and heavier.

You can use 14-15-16 shot mags in it as well..plus the 18- rounders.

CZ Nites, at least on my guns are TRu Dots.
PCR-NITES by K R | Photobucket
Also, don't ovelook the P-01 if you plan on adding a light or laser.

Reactions: rwponline

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I have all three (SP-01T, PCR, RAMI), and I think it really depends on where you are going to carry.

For conventional carry, the thin, rounded slide make the PCR a good choice, especially with any of the thin grips. I've shot the CZ coco-bolo, the CZ aluminum, and a couple of the VZ grips. They all feel similar, it really comes down to how aggressive you want the texture.

The short slide of the RAMI makes it great for AIWB, and it has the advantage of stock night sights (BD model) and great factory grips.

For replacement sights, check out the CZ custom shop.

For magazines, all three run the same pattern. I normally run the RAMI with a flush fit 10 round mag, then have a 16 round standard CZ 75 mag as the spare. For the PCR I've been using the 18 round baseplate on the 16 round mag (looks like a factory extended mag).

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
LOVE my RAMI BD. GREAT little shooter! Can't speak to the others but CZ makes great firearms!

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I'd go with the PCR if it were me. The PCR and the P01 are aluminum framed for lighter weight, and are the size of a glock 19. I never been a fan of the Rami. I always wanted one until I actually seen and handled one at my LGS. It was bigger and bulkier than I thought it would be for looking at online pictures. I had the complete opposite experience with my P01. It was smaller and lighter I expected, and it felt better in my hand. I also like that I can have 14-16 rounds at my disposal. With a spare mag, that's 32+1 rounds. Long story short, I was turned off of by the Rami, and turned on to CZ by the P01/PCR.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I have all three (SP-01T, PCR, RAMI), and I think it really depends on where you are going to carry.

For conventional carry, the thin, rounded slide make the PCR a good choice, especially with any of the thin grips. I've shot the CZ coco-bolo, the CZ aluminum, and a couple of the VZ grips. They all feel similar, it really comes down to how aggressive you want the texture.

The short slide of the RAMI makes it great for AIWB, and it has the advantage of stock night sights (BD model) and great factory grips.

For replacement sights, check out the CZ custom shop.

For magazines, all three run the same pattern. I normally run the RAMI with a flush fit 10 round mag, then have a 16 round standard CZ 75 mag as the spare. For the PCR I've been using the 18 round baseplate on the 16 round mag (looks like a factory extended mag).
You're carrying 18+1 in your pcr?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Don't pooh pooh a half inch difference in grip height. In my experience, it can be the difference between a gun that doesn't disturb my shirt silhouette and one that does, especially when I bend my waist. The height difference between an M&P9c and a Glock 19 is only 0.7", but that's enough to matter when concealment is important.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
You're carrying 18+1 in your pcr?
No, but they do run fine in it...

You know how the 18 round mag baseplate extends beyond the grip of the sp-01? Turns out an 18 extends the same from a full size as a 16 extends from the 14 round compacts.

So, using the 18 baseplate on a 16 mag makes it look like a factory extended mag for the 14 round compact guns.

...I'll upload a pic when I can...

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
My EDC is a Walther PPS, but my CZ75 compact is my favorite gun to carry and shoot. It is nearly identical to the PCR, except the PCR is several ounces lighter. I carry in a quality leather IWB holster at 3:00. Grip length is a major dimension to consider when cc'ing. The 1/2" wouldn't be a big deal with my holster set up. I agree, the RAMI would be better for appendix carry.

I have VZ frag grips. They look sharp. They have just enough texture to get a firm grip on my hand, but not on my shirt. They are noticeably thinner. I like to think this helps for cc. It doesn't hurt my shooting, although the PCR rubber grips more ergonomically fill the center of the palm of your hand. There are a pair of striped Loc grips on czfirearms.us for $40. I'd be all over them, if I didn't already have VZ.

So, my vote would be the PCR. But I love my compact, so that is a pretty biased vote.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
...I'll upload a pic when I can...
Ok, sorry for the low quality and cheesy labels (too much going on tonight), but this summarizes the mag options I'm currently running for my CZ 75 series guns (SP-01T, Phantom, PCR, RAMI, etc...). If you're going to get a bunch of spares, you can't go wrong with the standard 16 round mags (CZ or Mec-Gar), they will run in all the 75 series guns (the P-07/09 is a slightly different pattern).

CZ75_Mags.JPG

·
Registered
531 Posts
Lately, I've been much more apt to carry my guns either subcompact or compact configured so I can get a full grip on the gun. Whether it's my G26 with a Pearce +0 extension, or my Shield with a +0 or 8-rounder with mag sleeve, or my P320 compact. I've just been dressing around the guns to conceal them.

So, from your choices listed, I personally would go with the PCR and just dress around it. Nothing at all against the Rami, it's also a fine pistol. But to me, having a place for my pinky is more important to me right now.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I got the PCR. I now just need to find an IWB holster!
Hey! Congrats!

I know holsters are incredibly subjective. And what I like may not be what you like. But I have tried a lot of holsters both IWB and OWB. I'll list out my favorites for IWB. There are many makers whose holsters will undoubtedly get the job done. But there are a few that I've found and personally own and use that have proven to be a step above, sometimes in better materials or maybe craftsmanship and attention to detail or maybe bang for the buck. One or two makers I've found, have hit on more than one or all of these.

Two types of IWB holsters I run,
1) Two belt clips or loops spread apart to distribute the weight of the gun over a wider area with a soft comfortable backing and quality kydex holster material WITH a retention screw or screws. For this type of holster, the two I like the absolute best are the Stealthgear IWB or IWB Mini or the Aliengear Cloak Tuck 3.0. The stealth is maybe a little better quality materials, but you definitely pay for them. The Alien is still very good quality and probably more bang for the buck. IMO

2) The other type is one or two belt clips or loops, close together, made of good quality kydex, one or two retention screws, smoothed edges, no excess unneeded kydex and a minimalist footprint. The two makers I've found that do an outstanding version of this type of IWB holster are Green Force Tactical (I have the "Ready2Ship" India model for my P320 Compact and it's been fantastic, received in less than a week). For my Shield, I recently started carrying the IWB Profile holster from Tulster holsters. And this, although very close in quality and craftsmanship to the GF Tactical holster, is simply outstanding in every way and may be the highest quality, most bang for the buck, best made kydex IWB holster I've ever carried. I received this holster, no special ready to ship model, just the standard IWB-Profile, in about 9 or 10 days.

Well, enough of my gas! Best of luck with your search and choice.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey! Congrats!

I know holsters are incredibly subjective. And what I like may not be what you like. But I have tried a lot of holsters both IWB and OWB. I'll list out my favorites for IWB. There are many makers whose holsters will undoubtedly get the job done. But there are a few that I've found and personally own and use that have proven to be a step above, sometimes in better materials or maybe craftsmanship and attention to detail or maybe bang for the buck. One or two makers I've found, have hit on more than one or all of these.

Two types of IWB holsters I run,
1) Two belt clips or loops spread apart to distribute the weight of the gun over a wider area with a soft comfortable backing and quality kydex holster material WITH a retention screw or screws. For this type of holster, the two I like the absolute best are the Stealthgear IWB or IWB Mini or the Aliengear Cloak Tuck 3.0. The stealth is maybe a little better quality materials, but you definitely pay for them. The Alien is still very good quality and probably more bang for the buck. IMO

2) The other type is one or two belt clips or loops, close together, made of good quality kydex, one or two retention screws, smoothed edges, no excess unneeded kydex and a minimalist footprint. The two makers I've found that do an outstanding version of this type of IWB holster are Green Force Tactical (I have the "Ready2Ship" India model for my P320 Compact and it's been fantastic, received in less than a week). For my Shield, I recently started carrying the IWB Profile holster from Tulster holsters. And this, although very close in quality and craftsmanship to the GF Tactical holster, is simply outstanding in every way and may be the highest quality, most bang for the buck, best made kydex IWB holster I've ever carried. I received this holster, no special ready to ship model, just the standard IWB-Profile, in about 9 or 10 days.

Well, enough of my gas! Best of luck with your search and choice.
Thanks Jay!

From the limited research I have done the Stealthgear, Black Arch, Crossbreed all seem to be popular.

I am in Florida and it is brutally hot out this time of the year. I think I'd just splurge the $ for the stealthgear if they had the PCR model. Unfortunately I don't think they make a PCR model. At least I don't see it on their site. Only the 75 Compact.

Black Arch (formerly SHTF) looks like they have a nice holster. Though the stealthgear might be best for my climate. I don't mind spending extra $ for quality.

I'm gonna see how the PCR conceals and if I am not really comfortable with it I may reserve it for cooler months and get something like a shield for summer carry. I really wish CZ made a single stack 9.

Awesome choice with the P320c. I loooove that gun. My favorite striker fired gun by far!

Regarding the two types of holsters. I really don't know which is better for me. Having just a single clip would be convenient but at what gun size/weight does a double clip become a better option? Would a PCR be better off with a double clip setup in your opinion? The Tulster looks really nice. I'll keep it in mind if I pick up a single stack 9 eventually.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks Jay!

From the limited research I have done the Stealthgear, Black Arch, Crossbreed all seem to be popular.

I am in Florida and it is brutally hot out this time of the year. I think I'd just splurge the $ for the stealthgear if they had the PCR model. Unfortunately I don't think they make a PCR model. At least I don't see it on their site. Only the 75 Compact.

Black Arch (formerly SHTF) looks like they have a nice holster. Though the stealthgear might be best for my climate. I don't mind spending extra $ for quality.

I'm gonna see how the PCR conceals and if I am not really comfortable with it I may reserve it for cooler months and get something like a shield for summer carry. I really wish CZ made a single stack 9.

Awesome choice with the P320c. I loooove that gun. My favorite striker fired gun by far!

Regarding the two types of holsters. I really don't know which is better for me. Having just a single clip would be convenient but at what gun size/weight does a double clip become a better option? Would a PCR be better off with a double clip setup in your opinion? The Tulster looks really nice. I'll keep it in mind if I pick up a single stack 9 eventually.
Yeah, it really depends on the weight of the gun. A gun like the PCR, while definitely not the heaviest out there, would probably benefit from having two spread out clips to distribute the weight a bit better. Plus that would probably help keep the holster planted and keep the gun from shifting it around at all. You're right, the lighter guns like the single stack polymers out there, one well made, solid clip with a decently wide footprint is really all you need.

I'm with you on wanting a single stack, aluminum CZ, I would gobble that up in a heartbeat. Even the compact CZ's like the PCR and P-01, I fully intend on buying one of those at some point. I even already bought two different sets of grips I thought looked good for them. So now just have to get the gun to go with them. :)

Also, on the Shield, if you decide to look for one of those, I have the no thumb safety 9mm version. Couldn't be happier with it. It's been flawless and I got it from Bud's for $369 a couple years ago. Absolutely the best sub $400 gun you can get in my opinion.

Interested to hear how things progress as you go through the CCW journey to find what works best for you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, it really depends on the weight of the gun. A gun like the PCR, while definitely not the heaviest out there, would probably benefit from having two spread out clips to distribute the weight a bit better. Plus that would probably help keep the holster planted and keep the gun from shifting it around at all. You're right, the lighter guns like the single stack polymers out there, one well made, solid clip with a decently wide footprint is really all you need.

I'm with you on wanting a single stack, aluminum CZ, I would gobble that up in a heartbeat. Even the compact CZ's like the PCR and P-01, I fully intend on buying one of those at some point. I even already bought two different sets of grips I thought looked good for them. So now just have to get the gun to go with them. :)

Also, on the Shield, if you decide to look for one of those, I have the no thumb safety 9mm version. Couldn't be happier with it. It's been flawless and I got it from Bud's for $369 a couple years ago. Absolutely the best sub $400 gun you can get in my opinion.

Interested to hear how things progress as you go through the CCW journey to find what works best for you.
What grips did you get? I love the stock rubber grips on the PCR/SP-01 but I was thinking about getting something thinner for carry. The cocobolo's are gorgeous but I don't know how practical they are.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Congrats on the PCR. The stock rubber grips feel great and I love shooting with them, the only down side is they are a bit grippy on clothing. I never changed mine out but I may at some point. I use a holster made by UBG (believe that stands for Ugly Bald Guy, but he makes a nice holster.)

·
Registered
531 Posts
What grips did you get? I love the stock rubber grips on the PCR/SP-01 but I was thinking about getting something thinner for carry. The cocobolo's are gorgeous but I don't know how practical they are.
So a couple of different sets, first from Cajun Gun Works, the Thin Aluminum Grips in Copper, https://cajungunworks.com/product/10317-copper-alum-grips/ They don't have a pic of them, but here's a pic of the full sized version that's exactly the same: (they have these in stock)

Newest-CGW-Website-190.jpg

Then the other set I liked was from CZ Custom Shop, CZ 75 Compact Grips Aluminum Black Checker, they only have the black ones now, but at the time I purchased, they had a nice bright blue color that caught my eye. But I've read very good things about these with the checker pattern and thinness being very nice in the hand. Here's a pic of the black ones:

10170.jpg

Yes it's kind of crazy to buy several sets of grips before I even have the gun for them. From what I've seen with these things though, you kind of have to jump on them if you see a set you like cause they may not be available the next time you get around to looking for them. Plus I've already made up my mind to get a couple CZ-75's, just a question of when.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Glad you guys are loving your PCR and other CZs.\\

Look to Hakan and Dennis Marschal for wood grips.

I'm kicking back and waiting for the CZ Zenith Pistol (that's what I call it)
to appear, probably next year, as they have been working on it for years.

Polymer frame?

Single stack?

9mm, 40 or .45?

The rumors have been floating around..
Only the people at the factory know right now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts