Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lgs has a cz 83 for sale. Its in rough cosmetic shape but the barrel looks good. I can get it cheap. Id use it for a carry gun. Thoughts on 9mm mak and the cz? Should I just save up for something better?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
What is a "their" good price? The 9mm Makarov falls I between the 9mm Kurtz, (.380) and the 9mm Parabelum. CZ makes a fine defensive firearm.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
CZ makes excellent guns. The 83 has quite a following, and many people still carry it. I'd call this piece a conversation item. The 9mm Mak cannot keep up with modern design .380+P, and I consider that round a BUG at best.

Despite use and appearance, a CZ is likely to be a long lived pistol-with maintenance (springs wear out). A 9mm Mak does not meet my minimum performance, limited ammo (Buffalo Bore is pretty darn good though), price per round; all this adds up to me not carrying that pistol.

I might buy it for the range and as a conversation piece.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
CZ makes a high quality product. Their prices aren't quite as high because they are relatively new to the western world market. They could not be imported until after the fall of the communist bloc. The CZ83 in 9 Makarov was not that common. Most were chambered for .32 ACP or .380. The CZ82 which was introduced the year before and was the standard issue gun for the Czech military and police, as well as many other communist block countries. Primary difference between the 2 is the shape of the trigger guard ( the 83 has a rounded trigger guard). The CZ83 was discontinued in 2012.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Buy it.

I have an old surplus CZ-82 in 9 Makarov and it's a great little gun. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Buy it.

I have an old surplus CZ-82 in 9 Makarov and it's a great little gun. You won't be sorry.
Agreed. The guy's selling it to you for a good price. I can still find 9mm MAK ammo on the shelves right now too. Definitely an acceptable defense round.

·
Registered
439 Posts
As reliable and accurate as these guns are; it's your skill that will make them an awesome EDC gun. Everyone knows that bullet placement is the key to any handgun. The 9x18 has a decent velocity too. I'd say it was dang near as good as a standard 9x19. With Hornady making some good defense rounds for it; it's even better.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The CZ82/83 is a fun and reliable pistol, but it would not be my first choice for a CCW. My main concern is the weight. Other guns of similar size, capacity and caliber are lighter. The lack of a decocker is a missing feature that should be on the SA/DA gun. The sights are OK, but not great. My CZs delivered a mild hammer bite. A good gun but dated now by more modern and suitable designs, IMHO.

·
Registered
37,210 Posts
I bought my CZ-82 for a project gun but found it shoots so well that it's one I take to the range most often. Down sides are caliber related: low end of power for SD, availability and choices of ammo. I reload so I can cook up whatever I wish. On the plus side is the gun itself. Terrific trigger, ambi-everything, untra reliable, very accurate, etc. A bit heavy for a bug. $200 is a fair price.

Mine (After DuraCoating and Marschal grips added):
100_0888.JPG

One I did for my son:
100_0970.JPG

Reactions: TheBigWanad
1 - 12 of 12 Posts