Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I was at the range with my wife, I was shooting the plates with my Smith 66 4" after I had finished shooting them with my Glock 23 and 1911. I was doing a pretty good job with that old 66 and my wife asked me, "Why do you even carry those other guns"?

I've always shot that old 66 better than anything else. Maybe because it was my first centerfire handgun. Maybe because it's what I went through law enforcement basic training with. Maybe it's because I've always shot it a good bit, no matter what else I was carrying or issued at the time. Whatever the reason, I took to DA shooting like a duck to water.

Now for the past 24 years I've been issued, and carried Glocks. And I like them. But I recently started a quest to find a semi auto that I could carry while motorcycling and bird hunting. For both I would be carrying the gun in a vest pocket, motorcycle or upland bird vest, or the pocket of my duck hunting coat. To me, that ruled out Glocks. My KLCR fit the bill for all that but I wanted more capacity and shootablity. I had a brief romance with the Sig SP2022, both 9mm and .40. Liked them both, but for that size and weight I just as soon carry my P229.

Then I tried a Sig P250 Sub Compact .40. I have been knowing about the P250 for years but for some reason I never considered it. Well, my mistake! That little gun is a tack driver. Shoots soft, and carries great. I have absolutely fallen in love with the DAO P250 trigger. So much so that I scoured South Louisiana till I found a P250 Compact .40 also. I shoot these Sigs better than my Glocks! I shoot them better than my DA/SA semis. I can't explain it but I guess me and that sweet DAO P250 trigger just click.

Anyways, I am super happy with these "cheap" Sigs! Gonna try to pick up a couple more and a couple Caliber Exchange Kits too. I'm pretty sure Sig is gonna discontinue the P250 in the near future and concentrate on the P320 (since the Army picked it for the M9 replacement). But for now, there's still a bunch out there.

I strongly recommend any of you guys/gals that lean towards DA revolvers give this gun a try. I cannot believe how well they shoot for me. Defies logic that I shoot them more accurately than my SA's , but it is what it is !!!!

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol . Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I learned on DA revolvers and have no problem at all shooting double action. In fact, I like to shoot double action.

I had a P250 in .380 for a very short time. Even my husband, who has no problem shooting most anything, and who owns a SIG P320, agreed it was a truly horrible gun. That LOoooong and gritty trigger pull was really bad and painful, and you had to take your finger all the way off the trigger or it would not reset for the next shot. Shots were way, way off target also. Called SIG and got a bunch of garbage answers, some of which we knew were opposite of truth.

It got traded for a second Glock 42 for me.

Not every gun is right for every person.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I feel much the same as you Steve. I have a 290rs that I really like as a bug or deep conceal. I had a 250c that I bought used with .357 and .40 barrels, but it was a light striker. Sig replaced the fire control group for free and had it back to me in a week.

It seemed better but still didn't make much of a dent in the primers in either caliber. So I traded it off. It's a shame because the grip style fit me really well.

Shooting DA is more difficult for a lot of people, but I have not had issuses. I think the longer pull makes me focus better.
Roll on through, no staging.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
If you like the P250 you will love the P320. It's just a new and improved version of the pistol you have.

Same holsters, same mags and better trigger.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I like and shoot DA revolvers well and often...but I have no affinity for a DA auto...if I am going to shoot an auto...I DON'T want that long trigger pull. And, besides, I don't like Hi-Point's....I mean Sig's.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I am a long time DA revolver shooter and its still what I carry the most. I tried a P290rs as a carry for awhile and did not like it. It was a very reliable gun (except for the crappy night sights that kept blacking out) but, it is not a DA trigger in the sense of a revolver trigger. Long and light was just weird to me and I couldn't get used to it. If it was heavier it would have worked better for me which I know sounds strange but, there it is. That and the grip was just too thin and short for me.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I feel the same way about the 250. It was my first carry gun, but I ditched it because I got frustrated trying to learn the trigger. Now with more experience under my belt, I've been doing a bit of shopping for them. They can be found for ~$350 right now in 9mm, and their kits have actually been discounted by Sig. Mags and grip modules will continue to be plentiful since they interchange with the P320. CDNN has OEM rear night sights for around $15 right now too.

Reactions: Bigsteve113

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I've said it for years now.

If you can learn to shoot a DA well, you can shoot anything accurately.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am a long time DA revolver shooter and its still what I carry the most. I tried a P290rs as a carry for awhile and did not like it. It was a very reliable gun (except for the crappy night sights that kept blacking out) but, it is not a DA trigger in the sense of a revolver trigger. Long and light was just weird to me and I couldn't get used to it. If it was heavier it would have worked better for me which I know sounds strange but, there it is. That and the grip was just too thin and short for me.
I also tried the P290RS, I too did not like it !! Trigger wasn't that bad for me, but the ergos were horrible for my big mitts !!! Sold it and went with a Shield for my single stack needs !!

Reactions: forester58

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you like the P250 you will love the P320. It's just a new and improved version of the pistol you have.

Same holsters, same mags and better trigger.
The P320 is a fine pistol for sure. Very nice trigger. But I was looking for something either DAO or DA/SA for more non-conventional methods of carry. I wanted the DA trigger for an added margin of safety because of the way I plan on carrying them. Who knew that I would take such a shine to the P250 trigger.

As far as the P320 goes, as fine as a weapon as it is, I am already heavily invested in Glocks for my striker fired needs. If I were just starting out in strikers though, I would definitely consider the P320 over the Glock !!!! A plus to the P320 now (and the P250 to an extent) is that since the U.S. Army has chosen the P320 as their new sidearm, I imagine there will be a steady stream of mags, holsters, parts, and other accessories for many years to come.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do the triggers compare between the 290 and 250 for you?
Night and Day !!!! The P250 is smooth and just the right poundage that forces me to stay on target for the entire pull through. It really is uncanny the accuracy I am getting from this system. And I attribute it to the trigger system! Might now work for everybody, but works for me ! It's like hav ing a 14 shot Smith 66 in my hand, same smooth trigger, but lighter.

The whole time I am pulling my P250 triggers, the same word keeps going through my head....."butter"!! you really have to shoot one to see what I mean.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Night and Day !!!! The P250 is smooth and just the right poundage that forces me to stay on target for the entire pull through. It really is uncanny the accuracy I am getting from this system. And I attribute it to the trigger system! Might now work for everybody, but works for me ! It's like hav ing a 14 shot Smith 66 in my hand, same smooth trigger, but lighter.

The whole time I am pulling my P250 triggers, the same word keeps going through my head....."butter"!! you really have to shoot one to see what I mean.
Thanks. I have looked at some higher capacity 9mm alternatives to my revos and have looked at CZ 75 PCR and Rami BD as well as a PX4 storm sub compact. The reason is I have discovered I like AIWB and for me that means a hammer and a DA trigger for added safety. I know some think that is silly but, that is how I roll on AIWB carry. I have no issues carrying a striker OWB/IWB on the hip but, not appendix. A bobbed hammer is fine as long as my thumb can ride it into the holster.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I have looked at some higher capacity 9mm alternatives to my revos and have looked at CZ 75 PCR and Rami BD as well as a PX4 storm sub compact. The reason is I have discovered I like AIWB and for me that means a hammer and a DA trigger for added safety. I know some think that is silly but, that is how I roll on AIWB carry. I have no issues carrying a striker OWB/IWB on the hip but, not appendix. A bobbed hammer is fine as long as my thumb can ride it into the holster.
Believe me! I get the DA trigger and hammer for AIWB carry !!!! Some things are just too valuable to chance!!! The added margin of safety is what I was seeking too. The instant synch I got with the P250 was and unexpected added by-product. I love my Glocks, but only in a proper, secure holster for strikers for me. Actually we should carry all guns that way, but sometimes situations dictate other modes.

Sounds like the P250 might be something you'd like.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
My first handgun is Dan Wesson 15-2 357 revolver I hunted with followed by a 44mag and 22lr version and practiced with and used both trigger pull options. Deer walks under a tree stand you don't dare cock it . Just pull the trigger . First carry gun was a da snubby that I carried for 18 couple hand surgery's screw up my DA carry days . I know longer can handle skinny light pistols or have the same control of DA triggers for more than a mag or two worth of trigger pulls .

I understand how many of use like and prefer a DA trigger . To bad so many of todays newer shooters don't make the effort to figure them out and rather stay with a striker trigger only rather than work to be come good with a number of handgun types and trigger types .

As good as a sig p250 trigger is its still second to kahrs . MY wife has / had a p250 but gave it to a daughter last week , she claimed my 1911 as her edc . With kahrs 40sw and 9mm you can change the sticker spring to a wolff RP spring for a reliable 1lb lighter trigger pull that should get in to the 5lb range . For some odd reason the 45 kahrs tend to be under 5LB pull stock and need nothing to make better .

Miss enjoying my DA handguns .

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Wow, I just tried all three sizes of the P250 today. a sub compact in 9, a compact in 45 and a full size in 40. I really got a little turned off by the P290rs and I guess I just assumed the P250 would have that same trigger which was not a consistent pull all the way through. It was OK but, not like the 250. I have been looking at single stack nines and also some double stacks like the G26 and M&P9c so I thought what the heck I had today off so off I went to try this model. It is like shooting a super tuned revolver. Since I can still put thumb over hammer when reholstering and have a smooth faced revolver-like trigger without the dang dongle thingy I think I found my new carry gun. If you shoot revolvers and you like the advantages a hammer can have this is the gun. I understand why people like some of the striker triggers and why if your used to a short reset this one would not fit as you would have a hard time not short stroking the trigger. Revolver shooters are used to "all the way off" resets so not an issue for me. I see a P250 SC9 in my future and at under $400 I think its a bargain to boot. Now I know why everybody says you will love it or hate it the first time you dry fire one. I love it! Thanks BIGSTEVE 113 for getting me to take another look at Sig.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
It's funny because I've lately been looking for a P250 to check out for the exact reasons in the original post. I'm not a DA addict, but I'm certainly not scared of them and getting a top quality handgun for <$400 is nothing to ignore.

I will say, however, that I heard from an employee at a massive local gun/police equipment store that SIG is in the process of discontinuing them, so that's something to factor in before you buy. Does the trigger group work with the P320 frame, or is it unique to the P250? If it's unique, you might want to build your frame collection ASAP!

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
It's funny because I've lately been looking for a P250 to check out for the exact reasons in the original post. I'm not a DA addict, but I'm certainly not scared of them and getting a top quality handgun for <$400 is nothing to ignore.

I will say, however, that I heard from an employee at a massive local gun/police equipment store that SIG is in the process of discontinuing them, so that's something to factor in before you buy. Does the trigger group work with the P320 frame, or is it unique to the P250? If it's unique, you might want to build your frame collection ASAP!
I see some online sources that are out and wonder if maybe you are correct. That happened to me right after I bought the Ruger LCP Custom and makes you wonder how long they will support it. In today's world I bet its not long with most companies. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts