Defensive Carry banner

DA/SA or DAO on-duty & 1911 off-duty?

2261 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Agave
This question is specifically directed at those members who carry a firearm for "official business" every day while in the employee of a law enforcement or security agency.

Do any of you carry a DA/SA or DAO on-duty (because agency policy prohibits SA carry on-duty) but carry a SA (1911 style) off-duty? I'm asking specifically to get your take on the difference in the manual-of-arms between your duty weapon and off-duty gun. My agency does not permit me to carry a 1911 on-duty. I have always had the idea of carrying one on my own time rolling around in the back of my head. But I have always been concerned about the muscle-memory required to swipe the safety off when I draw. Obviously the majority of my practice and training is done with my duty weapon. I'm not sure I could put in enough range time with a 1911 to make it an ingrained habit. Any of you guys carry two different systems?
Thanks,
Gonzo
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
3,338 Posts
Comment...

I have always had the idea of carrying one (1911) on my own time rolling around in the back of my head. But I have always been concerned about the muscle-memory required to swipe the safety off when I draw. Obviously the majority of my practice and training is done with my duty weapon. I'm not sure I could put in enough range time with a 1911 to make it an ingrained habit.
You've made a good case for keeping your off duty carry the same trigger system as your duty gun. You don't want to draw a 1911 while off duty and try to save your life with it while the safety is still applied. It could take a second or two to realize the problem, off the safety and try the trigger again. During that period of time you could lose your life.

Draw, pull trigger and go bang is much more obvious and intuitive than cocked and locked.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.