Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own several hammer fired DA semi autos (no safety) and was wondering why there seems to be a divide between people who like hammer over striker especially apex carry. Is there something in the mechanix of a striker that would make it more prone to an accidental discharge?? is the trigger lighter?? tia

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Accidental discharge, as in the gun firing by itself? No, I know of no "unaltered" factory pistol that would do that. Most people agree, that guns should be carried in holsters that protect the trigger and with proper trigger discipline, it shouldn't matter which style you carry. Under stress, obviously, a longer pull is safer if you have your trigger finger where it shouldn't be (I.E., on the trigger before you are ready to shoot.)

(EDIT:) To finish answering your question, a striker fired gun commonly has a short trigger pull and probably no safety. So, a DAO style, with a long pull, or a SA/DA which may have a decocker that disables the trigger is more forgiving of mistakes on the part of the carrier. For appendix carry, you need good gun handling habits with anything, however. Because, you know...

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I own several hammer fired DA semi autos (no safety) and was wondering why there seems to be a divide between people who like hammer over striker especially apex carry. Is there something in the mechanix of a striker that would make it more prone to an accidental discharge?? is the trigger lighter?? tia
Generally a DA striker (M&P Glock etc.) does have a lighter trigger pull than you're "classic" DA Semi. I say "classic" because the HK LEM V1 also has a light, but longish pull.

One could argue that a heavier pull does reduce the odds of an AD just based on the added energy required to pull the trigger, but at the same time there's an awful lot of striker fired autos carried without a problem. I prefer the LEM because I believe it does provide an extra margin of safety due to the required pre-travel before the break, doesn't mean it's safer, just that I prefer it.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
The trigger pull on a DA/SA usually goes about 10-11 lbs DA and 4-5 lbs SA. A DOA usually about 6-7 lbs. That 10 SA/DA or 6-7 lb DAO pull is the same 10 or 6-7 lbs all the way through a usually somewhat longish consistent pull all the way through. A striker fired D/A is usually about 5 lbs, with a much shorter travel till breaking.

That heavier, longer, consistent trigger pull of conventional DA/SA or DAO, plus the added feature of being able to place your thumb over the hammer of these guns while holstering (the gun cannot fire if the hammer cannot cock), adds a significant margin of safety against a negligent discharge in my opinion!

Don't get me wrong, I like striker fired guns just fine, I EDC Glocks 27/23 and a Shield 9mm, but I think anyone who says that a conventional SA/DA or DAO is not inherently safer is just trying to justify their choices. No need to, in my book. Strikers are safe, SA/DA or DAO are just safer !

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Generally the triggers are lighter, and thus less forgiving. A hammer also has an advantage in that one can put his thumb on it while holstering, and thus know right away if something gets in front of the trigger (the hammer starts pushing on the thumb). If one prefers to holster without having to look at the holster, especially one-handed, this is a positive, as would be a manual safety or grip safety on either a hammer- or striker-fired gun.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
While AD or ND is possible with both types, as an mechanical engineer, I estimate a typical modern striker gun to be one order of magnitude easier to experience an unintentional discharge from an object actuating the trigger.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
It all depends on the pull weight and length of pull. It's hard to generalize because each gun is different. A longer and heavier trigger pull is usually considered less prone to AD/ND, but any gun can have an AD or ND if there's a round in the chamber.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
While AD or ND is possible with both types, as an mechanical engineer, I estimate a typical modern striker gun to be one order of magnitude easier to experience an unintentional discharge from an object actuating the trigger.
Exactly WebleyHunter !! Operative word "object" ! I am not so much worried about my finger pulling the trigger, but more so about shirt tails, holsters, draw strings, waistbands, ...... !!!!!

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
So to agree with almost everyone else, the (typically) longer and heavier pull of a true DA trigger is less prone to go off due to mistakes than the (typically) shorter and lighter pull of a striker.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
As the man said..."Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you are ready to destroy something" A good holster & trigger discipline = safety

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not worried so much about my finger pulling the trigger but maybe snagging something on my clothing. Idk maybe im just reading the hype but What about dropping the gun on the pavement by accident is there anything mechacinally in a striker that might discharge over a hammer type?

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
I'm not worried so much about my finger pulling the trigger but maybe snagging something on my clothing. Idk maybe im just reading the hype but What about dropping the gun on the pavement by accident is there anything mechanically in a striker that might discharge over a hammer type?
No. Virtually every pistol today has a firing pin block which prevents it from firing without the trigger being fully depressed. There are exceptions: Jennings, Lorcin, and other low quality arms that lack proper QC. Taurus can fit into this group.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I remember when I first saw this I decided to test my mod 19. did every thing I could think of except throw the gun on the ground and it would not fire. My Glock is as safe as any of my guns.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Guns do not cause an A.D. people do.
Yes, but there is more to it.

Some designs may be more susceptible to human error than others. Pistols with very light and short stroke triggers may be more prone to human accident/negligence than those with heavier and longer stroke triggers, for example.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No. Virtually every pistol today has a firing pin block which prevents it from firing without the trigger being fully depressed. There are exceptions: Jennings, Lorcin, and other low quality arms that lack proper QC. Taurus can fit into this group.

That screw up cost Taurus $39 million and they finally recalled all of the guns.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts