Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone is doing at the end of the day with their EDC rigs? Gun get a wipe down, same with holster? If so with what? Air can the "pocket fuzz" out of the nooks and crannies? Just let it be until the next time you do a routine cleaning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
I try to shoot mine at least every other week, even if it's only 30-40 rounds. I clean it after each outing. My other pistols may go 800-1500 rounds between cleanings, but my EDC gets cleaned every time.
So, no I don't do anything to it daily.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Usually a wipedown on the firearm and holster gets an in and out wipe. I don't use the same holster two days in a row when it's hot outside like now.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I got a stainless steel Model 60 for my EDC so I only have to wipe it off. It lives in a holster so it gets almost no lint.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Cotton cloth wipe (magazine, too). Once a week I run a brush down the bore (lint, spiders, crud) and try to shoot a couple times a month.

If I have been working outdoors and got all sweaty I do a full field strip and clean as if I had fired the gun.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Cotton cloth wipe (magazine, too). Once a week I run a brush down the bore (lint, spiders, crud) and try to shoot a couple times a month.

If I have been working outdoors and got all sweaty I do a full field strip and clean as if I had fired the gun.
That pretty much matches my cleaning/maintenance process.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I clean mine every 50 to 100 rounds which I guess is every week or two. It's always loaded and holstered. Less handling, the better. I do check it for spider webs every couple of days.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I usually just wipe my pistol down at the end of the day. I field strip and inspect it once a week whether it needs it or not, and clean after every range session.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
EDC guns, a daily inspection (PX4 9MM takes maybe a minute, SP101 even less time).
Every gun taken to the range is cleaned before being put away.
Everything in the safe (not that many) gets inspected once a month ("ounce of prevention").
Normally find nothing so it's just the pleasure of handling the arms. Now it teaching my kids (16 to 25 years old) to do the same.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Wipe down once a week or after firing field strip cleaning.

·
Registered
197 Posts
DAILY maintenance? That's a bit ocd if you ask me. I'm going to guess since it's daily that you do this to a loaded gun?
Why would I do it to a loaded gun? It takes all of a few seconds to drop the magazine and clear the chamber. Then another 30 seconds to strip the magazine and rotate the rounds. I do it because I live in Texas and wear leather holsters.

My EDC's are tools. Tools need to be taken care of so they don't fail when you need them. When I was in the service I wiped my firearms down every day and field stripped and cleaned them every three days. This started in Kosovo and continued into my desert deployments where they enjoyed more frequent attention.

My holsters get wiped down and left out for at least a day so they can dry. A constantly wet leather holster is going to cause problems, the least of which is smell. My day isn't so busy that I can't take 5 minutes to ensure the tools that may be necessary to my survival, are in good working order. YMMV

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I usually wipe a little sweat off the muzzle, and blow out the lint daily. I carry IWB tucked in the KY heat and humidity, so lint builds up pretty quick. Just a microfiber cloth is all I need.

Reactions: Morbidrealities

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,415 Posts
I check my primary and backup handguns when they go onto the nightstand at bedtime and when they go into the holsters in the morning. I clean them about every two weeks or after a range session.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Field strip, clean and lube after trips to the range.

Wipe it down with an oil rag, run a lightly lubed bore snake through it and check the mag once a week.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why would I do it to a loaded gun? It takes all of a few seconds to drop the magazine and clear the chamber. Then another 30 seconds to strip the magazine and rotate the rounds. I do it because I live in Texas and wear leather holsters.

My EDC's are tools. Tools need to be taken care of so they don't fail when you need them. When I was in the service I wiped my firearms down every day and field stripped and cleaned them every three days. This started in Kosovo and continued into my desert deployments where they enjoyed more frequent attention.
My thoughts exactly.

For those of you that do daily wipe downs are you just using a microfiber with a little bit of your normal lube in it? This is what I was thinking of doing.

I'm in the hot and dry dessert and things do not stay wet or moist around here but I do sweat and I do not want things to start corroding. I do not think my leather will have an issue in this dry climate as it goes from my body to the night stand and never has any signs of still being moist or wet.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Wipe it down with a silicone cloth.

Reactions: drift

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Wiping lint off is just for looks. My PPS went loaded for a year with zero maintenance. I shot other pistols while the PPS rotated in for carry, off and on. I purposely shot the carry mag "as is". No problems. I then shot range ammo with zero issues. If pocket lint stops my carry gun, I need a new gun.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts