Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought by the first pictures, it was going to be bad. It appears as if all survived the crash.

·
Super Moderator
16,160 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Was Dale piloting his own plane?

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
The pilot should know to land on the first half of the runway, not the last half. My parents always made a point to try to touchdown "on the numbers."

·
Registered
33,987 Posts

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
He had professional pilots. At least I would expect they should have had commercial licenses. Hard to imagine what would make you unable to stop unless it was a very short field. Citations don't need a huge field IIRC.
@PhaedrusIV has a much better understanding of that though.

Reactions: Hoganbeg

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
We'll have to wait for the NTSB report for any real insight I suppose, but Pilot error is usually at the head of the list, followed by system failures (think brakes or thrust reversers). Failure to take density altitude and runway length into consideration, a too fast or unstable approach leading to excessive float and a long landing, trying to abort the landing when there is not enough runway available, or maybe they inadvertently made a downwind landing; with no ATIS or on-field report they would need to overfly the field to check wind direction and strength. They all survived so a good debriefing should answer all questions.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,160 Posts
Reactions: PhaedrusIV

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Very true! I used to make a point of going up during the So Cal Santa Ana wind conditions just to stay sharp dealing with the gusts.

(Flight time was a lot cheaper in a puddle jumper than it would be in a Citation.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts