1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
This lends a lot of support to the current research that football causes brain damage, even without suffering concussion. It is called Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE. Even one season of playing football, without a diagnosed injury, can cause permanent brain damage.

Or maybe this supports the theory that a lot of football players are just not that smart to begin with. A study of overall intelligence that was specifically designed for NFL players showed that a lot of very successful players really aren't all that smart. Surprisingly, some of the lowest scorers were quarterbacks, including a couple of big names.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This lends a lot of support to the current research that football causes brain damage, even without suffering concussion. It is called Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE. Even one season of playing football, without a diagnosed injury, can cause permanent brain damage.
I like football.

Or maybe this supports the theory that a lot of football players are just not that smart to begin with. A study of overall intelligence that was specifically designed for NFL players showed that a lot of very successful players really aren't all that smart. Surprisingly, some of the lowest scorers were quarterbacks, including a couple of big names.
Will you teach me to football?

On a more serious note, football is mostly muscle memory with some cognitive requirements thrown in. Some of my coaches use to name the plays (confusing). The smartest coach I ever had was when I was in 5th grade playing city league football. He had something like five standard offense formations, like the I, pro, single and shotgun, and taught us a simple which instantly let us know whether it was a running play or a passing play, who was getting the ball, and the count.

Example: Run LRB RT 3 means it's a running play with a handoff to the left running back going through the right tackle position on 3. Pass RWR MM 2 means a pass to the right wide receiver to the middle, medium distance, on 2.

Fun times!

I preferred chess and aviation.

Quotes are from The Longest Yard

·
Registered
34,001 Posts
Another NFL star lives up to expectations.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Next week this genius will be gracing us with his expert political opinion.

Why do so many high paid athletes think they're privileged characters?

And, no, I don't like spectator sports. :icon_rolleyes:
Because historically, they are.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Funny how so many people who get caught drinking or doping can't seem to obey all of the other laws that Average Joe Citizen has to obey. We buy licenses and insurance and don't try to draw a lot of attention to ourselves by blasting our music or acting like jerks. The news paper is full of people who get caught for DUI simply because they didn't have current registration.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Funny how so many people who get caught drinking or doping can't seem to obey all of the other laws that Average Joe Citizen has to obey. We buy licenses and insurance and don't try to draw a lot of attention to ourselves by blasting our music or acting like jerks...
Some big-salary sports figures, entertainment figures, and business tycoons see themselves as being somehow better than the rest of us, as if their greater incomes indicate their greater human value.
Almost always, in the cases of these specific egoists, the exact opposite is true. They are indeed jerks. But for the lesson to hit home, they first have to be caught and punished by peace-keepers who are neither "on the take" nor overawed by their self-perceived luminosity.

...The news paper is full of ["ordinary"] people who get caught for DUI simply because they didn't have current registration.
...And frequently this happens exactly because these people want to be caught.
Most DUI offenders know that they're doing something wrong, and want to be stopped and paid attention to. They are incapable of controlling their impulses, and want the peace-keepers to do it for them.

(The opinions voiced here are my own, are the result of a lot of life experience, and do not apply to every case.)

·
Banned
250 Posts
- lol weed
- this is not even a crime in CA
- OMG WEED! lol
- CA allows 99 plants, per person, per household

- funny how this is still a crime in some states

- anyway, his lawyer will get the charges dismissed or reduced to a fine.. which is a tax-deduction anyway

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
- lol weed
- this is not even a crime in CA
- OMG WEED! lol
- CA allows 99 plants, per person, per household

- funny how this is still a crime in some states

- anyway, his lawyer will get the charges dismissed or reduced to a fine.. which is a tax-deduction anyway
He was not in California. However, you are otherwise probably correct.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Ehh just another guy breaking the law this wouldn't have made the news if not for being a sports figure. I dont see where folks are getting the "thinks he is better" or "privileged " angle. From the report all I got was that he wasn't very smart.

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
There are about 1700 pro football players. Many of them are stand up people. Some are not.

Pick 1700 people from any occupation in the US. You'll get some misfits.

As for the cognitive test - the Wonderlic test - there are plenty of pro football players that are pretty dang smart. Zeke Elliot scored a 32, for example, and a 32 is the 91st percentile. He ain't no dummy. There are plenty of players that scored higher.

As for Mr. Ross, it appears he likes guns and weed. I'm not a fan of weed, but I am a fan of guns, so he can't be all bad. Seriously, hopefully he gets the chance to straighten things out.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Is it a problem (aka illegal) to have a loaded firearm in one's vehicle in Texas.

And was there a round in the chamber........?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've driven through Texas with a loaded firearm several times and never thought twice about it.

From the interweb:

Any person who can legally possess a handgun can carry it within a vehicle.
However, if you do not have a Texas license to carry or a firearms license from another state that Texas honors then the firearm must be concealed in the glove box, console or other area but not on your person.

If you do have a LTC license then you can open carry in a vehicle if the firearm is in a shoulder or belt holster. And you can conceal carry in any mode you desire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts