Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have all ways carried a loaded double action pistol with a decocker I recently switched to a 1911 style when I got a Para with the LDA trigger. I didn’t like the gun and had many problems with it. I switched toa Kimber and I love it. I use either a IWB with no thumb break or a SOB again with no thumb break (I hate thumb breaks). I was just looking for some feed back on if this is a good idea or not. Hell its got to be safer than a loaded Glock. Thanks for the opinions

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you are referring to carry cocked and locked, it is perfectly safe and the 1911 shouldn't be carried any other way. Takes a while to get used to but you will.

·
Registered
750 Posts
safer than a loaded Glock
Guess that depends on who's carrying it.

Carry your gun the way it was designed to be carried. No gun is any "safer" than the person carrying it. Hardware cannot make up for any personal short-comings.

mm

·
Registered
750 Posts
Try it again in a few minutes. I just had a problem making a post in another thread. Took a couple of tries.

mm

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
madmike said:

Carry your gun the way it was designed to be carried. No gun is any "safer" than the person carrying it. Hardware cannot make up for any personal short-comings.

mm
Absolutely true - the safety on any firearm is located between the ears of the person handling it.

If you are concerned, try this: Unload the 1911, verify the empty chamber, cock the gun and put the safety on. Carry it around the house for a couple days, and you should soon see that the safety never gets flipped off by itself, and the hammer never falls.

Properly handled, the 1911 in condition one is very safe. Improperly handled, no firearm is safe.

Matt

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi, Laski. I carry my Kimber either in a pocket holder or a Milt Sparks VM-II IWB. While I know it's safe to carry with one in the chamber and the safety engaged, I am still learning to accept that way of carrying. Between the three mechanisms which inhibit a discharge (safety, grip safety, and no finger on the trigger), what is going to cause an unintentional discharge? I don't want to be in a situation where I waste precious moments racking a slide that should have been dedicated to terminating an imminent threat. ---Jeff

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I carry a 1911 C&L every day with zero problems ever.

IMO there are 4 safties on a 1911,

1) between your ears
2) thumb safety
3) grip safety
4) finger off the trigger until ready to fire.

A well made holster is your friend and with a good holster you need no stinking thumb break unless you want one.

A few pic's to show you, Kimber CDP in a Brommeland IWB Max-Con V. Hard to beat a good rig for carry.

Ti.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm with you .. I don't like the thumb break either.

My Kimber Ultra Carry rides in a Macdaniel II, from Andrews Custom Leather ~ without the thumb break, and it stays quite snug in the thing. I haven't tried jogging with it yet, but I reckon it would hold ok. :)

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Its all been said . All i will say is the only proper way to carry a 1911 is " cocked and locked " it only worrys because you can see the hammer , striker fired and some other hammer guns you just dont see the hammer .

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I carry Cocked and locked everyday The 1911 isnt safer or more unsafe than any other guns out there its all about the person holding it

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
xercise2nd said:
Hi, Laski. I carry my Kimber either in a pocket holder or a Milt Sparks VM-II IWB. While I know it's safe to carry with one in the chamber and the safety engaged, I am still learning to accept that way of carrying. Between the three mechanisms which inhibit a discharge (safety, grip safety, and no finger on the trigger), what is going to cause an unintentional discharge? I don't want to be in a situation where I waste precious moments racking a slide that should have been dedicated to terminating an imminent threat. ---Jeff
Think about it this way. Most guns when you chamber a round, be it a shotgun, rifle, and pistols, they ARE cocked. You just can't see the hammer back. And all most of them have in the way of safties are a crossbolt, or some kind of detent button. Between the operator, the thumb safty,and the grip safty, that hammer on the 1911 is not going to fall unless you want it to.

·
Administrator
143,574 Posts
The high quality leather holsters are so nicely molded to the firearm that a retention strap is pretty much obsolete for civilian concealed carry. I personally would not carry in a concealed holster w/ a retention strap anymore.
I always spend the extra $$$ & get high quality tightly molded/boned leather.
Just my opinion on that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Agree completely...I feel 100% comfortable with a glock type pistol with one in the tube. Cocked and locked seems "dangerous" due to the single action trigger ready to go---but the grip safety should keep the gun from "spontaneous discharge".

madmike said:

mm

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Howdy!

As previously stated, a properly trained & responsible individual can safely carry a mechanically sound 1911 in Condition One. As also mentioned, safety straps are a severe liability, and imho are a major potential safety issue because they can get inside the trigger guard and discharge the pistol as it is reholstered.
From my viewpoint, you have a MAJOR disaster waiting to happen due to the SOB carry position that you have chosen. I personally cannot think of a more dangerous way to carry a handgun. If safety is truly your primary concern, toss that holster and start carrying with a strong side design. (You'll then avoid pointing the muzzle at yourself and bystanders during high stress situations as the firearm is drawn.)
I might also suggest that you book a class with a good trainer for an intro level pistolcraft course. You'll find out in a hurry why strong side is universally accepted as the safetst, most effective carry position. (Many trainers will not allow a student to step out on a firing line with an SOB)
Good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with Gary B. I carry cocked and locked. I'm not a big fan of thumb straps, but would consider using a holster with a safariland style hood.

I'm also not a fan of SOB carry.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
MattLarson said:
If you are concerned, try this: Unload the 1911, verify the empty chamber, cock the gun and put the safety on. Carry it around the house for a couple days, and you should soon see that the safety never gets flipped off by itself, and the hammer never falls.

Properly handled, the 1911 in condition one is very safe. Improperly handled, no firearm is safe.

Matt
Exactly. this really helped me get comfortable carrying a 1911.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For a long time I had a deep set fear about carrying my K40 with one in the tube. I was a slave to the Army Issue .45 cal multi-safety mechanisms. A friend showed me how the K40, and other DAO's operate and the similarity to wheel guns in trigger operation. The ONLY dangerous times seem to be when drawing, keeping your finger off the bang switch, and re-holstering without paying attention to potential bang switch operators(keys on belt, etc). I now carry ALL the time full tilt, and I don't have any misgivings. It took me a while, but I came around and you can too!!
Be safe....come home alive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that I'll get a DAO in a Para LDA or Sig P220 Carry DAK. At the moment I carry a Sig 228 SA,DA. But the combo is no good for carry.

It's not at all that I think the SAO 1911's will do something they are not supposed to do (I know this from research and sterile carries around the house as mentioned above). Nor is it that I think my 2 year old will set it off when I pick her up and she inadvertently kicks my weapon. I will choose the DAO simply for the length or weight of trigger pull.

Recent studies have established that profound and unavoidable changes take place in the human body and brain when a person is severe stress - such as a deadly force interaction. These can include one or more of the following:
-Spontaneous urination or defecation
-Shivering or shaking. When threatened, the body will withdraw blood from the extremities and concentrate it in the major muscles.
- Loss of color perception
- Loss of coordination
- Loss of mental coordination
- Degradation of eidetic memory
- Tunnel vision
- Auditory Exclusion
- Muscle tightening
-Time space distortion

I have personally felt the effects of several of these symptoms. Since I know them to be true, I believe that in a deadly force situation I would be safer, as would surrounding innocent people around me (such as my two year old and wife), with a trigger pull that I had a harder time setting off with shivering or muscle tightening.

This in conclusion to the thought of someone holding my family hostage and me needing to use precise deadly force without injuring my family.

I know there are tons of 1911 SA's being carried safely every day. For me it goes beyond the carry. Based on my research and what I know about my body, my safest bet is the DAO. I can shoot it just as fast and accurate as the SA's.

I really like the 1911's, dont get me wrong. There are days when I think threee isn't enough.

Part of my research and some sentences above were directly quoted from "The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning" by John S. Farnum. A Very well written and very informative soft back.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts