Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Ruger SP101 DAO the heaviest mass produced factory DAO revolver available today?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
25 ounces? Available today? Maybe. Yet I once had a factory DAO S&W Model 66 3" that I'll bet was heavier. :image035:

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Any DA revolver can be DAO if you get the hammer bobbed.

Reactions: patri0t

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
25 ounces? Available today? Maybe. Yet I once had a factory DAO S&W Model 66 3" that I'll bet was heavier. :image035:
I realize that 25 oz. is not heavy. I was just wanting to know if I had missed another current revolver. I'm thinking that DAO Model 66 would be perfect for what I would want it for...but I'm sure the price tag wouldn't be perfect for my wallet. :blink:

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Probably , or close. There were some GP100's that were DAO only.... that were produced for a contract outside the USA. Apparently they did not end up taking all of them and Ruger modified some to DAO / SA, but some stayed DAO only and were sold.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I'm curious. Any idea what it costs to get it done by a gunsmith?
Can't say myself, but I've seen a wide variety of guns out there on Gunbroker and Armslist that have had it done. A lot were police guns.

I can't imagine it would he hard to do yourself with some patience basic tools.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
My DAO SP101 has become my primary weekend carry gun. Great gun. Heavy enough for .357 loads, light enough to carry all day.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Not sure about the factory DAO 101's but have shot a couple of Ruger's that have been converted by amateurs. Rough triggers and crummy feel when they dropped the hammer. Was very difficult to get good groups.

My S&W 36 is a factory conversion with a trigger pull smooth as glass and a crisp clean break. Makes it almost as easy to shoot as an SA trigger.

IMO it would pay to have someone who knows what they are doing make the conversion. Ruger makes a solid and dependable revolver. No reason it can't be converted to DAO with as smooth a trigger pull as any other quality revolver out there.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Folks, you don't have to "convert" DA/SA revolvers to DAO. Just buy a DAO hammer (no spur, no SA notch) and install it. And I've personally tuned a SP101 trigger to "near" K-frame smoothness & pull-weight (still using factory springs) by polishing the INSIDE of the Ruger trigger plunger tube. It ain't rocket science, it's much closer to...brain surgery. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Any DA revolver can be DAO if you get the hammer bobbed.
One thing to remember when 'bobbing' off the hammer spur, you are lightening its weight. this can cause a reliability issue in some models. I used to buy factory spurless hammers for my on-duty BUGS. They were properly weighted, but the bobbed hammer prevented it from snagging. They are much more difficult to find these days.
That was back in the 70s-80s when semis were quite uncommon for duty use.

Reactions: rocky and Ianthin

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
One thing to remember when 'bobbing' off the hammer spur...
Another thing to remember about bobbing a conventional DA/SA hammer is that the SA notch is STILL THERE. And, when it's there, some hamster-brained chuckle-head IS GONNA' try to use it. And, without a spur, that's an invitation for a slip OFF the hammer. And, under an ideal series of circumstances, that results in a ND/AD. And, if the (now) litigant's lawyers can find out who originally bobbed it, you can considered yourself...sued. :yup:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Not sure about the factory DAO 101's but have shot a couple of Ruger's that have been converted by amateurs. Rough triggers and crummy feel when they dropped the hammer. Was very difficult to get good groups.

My S&W 36 is a factory conversion with a trigger pull smooth as glass and a crisp clean break. Makes it almost as easy to shoot as an SA trigger.

IMO it would pay to have someone who knows what they are doing make the conversion. Ruger makes a solid and dependable revolver. No reason it can't be converted to DAO with as smooth a trigger pull as any other quality revolver out there.
There is no "conversion" to make...other than bob the hammer...

Then sure there are no light primer strikes.

There is no reason to touch the trigger

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I have a S&W 638....very light.....38+p and it has a shroud so it can still be used SA if you really want to. Best of both worlds.

Reactions: Haywood

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
I realize that 25 oz. is not heavy. I was just wanting to know if I had missed another current revolver. I'm thinking that DAO Model 66 would be perfect for what I would want it for...but I'm sure the price tag wouldn't be perfect for my wallet. :blink:
Or model 65 in 3'' barrel. :image035:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
There is no "conversion" to make...other than bob the hammer...

Then sure there are no light primer strikes.

There is no reason to touch the trigger
I'm spoiled by my S&W trigger.
Both of the Security Six's I have have been smoothed out and are almost as good as the Smith trigger.
I don't have a 101 any more and the GP100 that I have is a 6" and is quite good right out of the box.

My thoughts on conversion rather than bobbing the hammer are along the same lines as GT.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm spoiled by my S&W trigger.
Both of the Security Six's I have have been smoothed out and are almost as good as the Smith trigger.
I don't have a 101 any more and the GP100 that I have is a 6" and is quite good right out of the box.

My thoughts on conversion rather than bobbing the hammer are along the same lines as GT.
I agree with your thoughts...and the only Ruger snub that I will have is the .357 LCR...GREAT little gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts