Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to thinking earlier, for those of us who CC while doing outdoor activities like jogging or walking etc. what is the best choice in weapon? Personally, i'm a frequent jogger and carry a Kel Tec PF9 in a belly band under my shirt, I run on a known trail in the city of Dallas and carry for defense against robbery (has happened before, had a spree last spring) or potential dog/coyote attack (yes, coyotes live in the city, I've seen one a block from the American Airlines Center at night), never had to draw or use it fortunately (I carry OC as well). I carry 124gr+P Gold Dots, and that seems like it would be fine, but I'm kind of rethinking the overall weapon choice.

I'm not a revolver guy, never owned one actually, but doesn't a DAO revolver with an internal hammer seem like the perfect CC gun for this type of activity? I'm thinking an LCR or Airweight J frame in .357 or .38+P. As we all know, full power .357 Magnum from a snub is a beast to control, but for the one in a million chance that you have to put down that attacking coyote or robber/rapist, doesn't the almost infallible revolver design with a sledge hammer type load make sense? The super small/slim semi autos are all finicky not matter who makes them and in a high stress, likely at night, while physically exerted situation the room for operator error is amplified dramatically. A revolver negates a lot of this potential.

Some food for thought, chime in with yours please.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I walk throughout the day and my Jframe in my front pocket is great. Now I am not tearing up the mall tiles on a power walk with the old ladies, but I dont have an issue with walking and carrying it. I do not run unless required...

·
Super Moderator
18,483 Posts
I like hammers with spurs because I like choices, whether I use them or not. I frequent our old family place of fairly large acreage and might wish to take a shot at a varmint at longer yardage. While the small snubs aren't generally the main choice for hiking, fishing, or hunting, they have been "along for the ride" as additional back-up.

A few years back I was at my parents' place and happened upon a pesky skunk that my dad had already been gunning for. He was headed towards the briar patch when I engaged him at about 30 yards with my Smith & Wesson Chief's Special. Now for full disclosure, I popped two or three shots at him as he scampered to cover and missed each time so the use of the single-action trigger didn't accomplish the desired goal in this instance.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I find the S&W 637 to be one of my favorites.

It's light enough for any activity, and loaded with stout +p .38, it is able to put down just about any of 2 legged, 4 legged, as well as the slithering types in my area.

Shooting single-action, I've had no problem popping a water moccasin in the head from a safe distance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,483 Posts
The hammer spur is really not the problem many think it is. By just pressing the hammer spur's tip with one's thumb as he draws, a snag-free draw is effected with little or no loss of time. The hammer is worth it to me. It's just a matter of what is important to the person carrying the snub.

Reactions: WHEC724

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Ruger LCR in 38+P. 5 sure shots with a heavier bullet than a .380.

14 ounces of pure joy to carry, and a very light and smooth=very accurate Snubbie.

I only wish they would offer a 9mm version.

Reactions: Taurahe

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
For pocket carry i use the 642 but for everyday carry primary is a SP 101 2.4 or a S&W mod 60 an a speed strip never feel under gunned

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jog daily with a 642 no-lock OWB, under a long t-shirt. They say, under stress, you don't even feel the trigger pull, or feel the recoil.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Before I bought my 442, I thought I wanted an exposed, or at least shrouded hammer. You know, for when I wanted to make precise target shots. Then I realized, this isn't a range gun! I want to train like I fight. I don't see drawing, cocking, and shooting. I won't carry cocked, so that leaves carrying hammer down and shooting DA. Wait, why did I want an exposed hammer?

My 442 has an Apex spring kit and a bit of polishing on the rebound slide and hammer. It's not a custom competition trigger, but it shoots like butter.

This summer, I plan on running with my 442.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes to the revolver idea, no to the ultra-light .357. Out of an airweight .38 is more than enough.

Reactions: candalos

·
Registered
177 Posts
I jog 10-15 miles a week... I usually feel most secure with my G26 in a belly-band. With no bouncing or movement against my body, it is very comfortable and I forget it's there. I have a Bodyguard 380 that I specifically bought for the purpose of a jogging gun. But with it's long trigger pull and small grip, I really don't shoot all that well in a point-shoot action. So it got relagated to a safe queen and the Glock gets outdoor athletic duty.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I run with a Ruger LCR in a fanny pack. Thinking about that pistolwear holster, though. Or a smartcarry.
I give you tremendous credit for being the only other person in the world besides Hulk Hogan to admit to regularly wearing a fanny pack!

Which LCR do you have?

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
If you only plan to use the gun for SD I don't think an exposed hammer is necessary. But if you foresee needing to pop a skunk/varmint a little further out it's nice to be able to cock it for a SA shot.

I have mixed feelings about small revolvers. First off, I do like them. I've had three Taurus 85s over the years; all were dead reliable and all shot well. Yet, I've sold or traded them each time. I guess I'm not a big "revolver guy." I recognize their virtues but generally I just like semi-autos better. While five rounds of .357 or .38 +P should get the job done, I suck with a speed loader. In the back of my mind I'm always envisioning some situation where I've run the gun dry and can't affect a reload fast enough. Obviously, I could remedy with training. But my Beretta Nano holds either 6+1 or 8+1 and is fast to reload. Plus I shoot it better than I shoot a DA snubbie.

Ultimately it comes down to whatever you're most comfortable with. It's hard to beat the versatility and reliability of a good wheelgun, I'll concede that. Maybe I need to pick up another Taurus 85!

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
With two total knee replacement(s), compromised pulmonary system (embolisms); my days of running are over. I walk every day however and carry a brace of Taurus® Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special revolvers; loaded with Buffalo Bore® 158gr LSWCHCGC. Primary in the pocket & BUG in an ankle holster. In warmer weather, while wearing shorts; Primary is IWB @ 4 o'clock & BUG in front pocket.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I think the S&W j-frame or Ruger LCR is a natural for your intended use....
I don't love the j-frame trigger, but for self-defense, it works. No hammer for self defense revolver is a good idea, as it will only be in the way. Some say that they cover the hammer with their thumb while drawing, but you should achieve a full firing grip before clearing the holster (my opinion).
When I jog/walk, the 442 in a Remora, in sweatpants, stays put and does not move around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts