Defensive Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm testing various ammunition to find what shoots best from my RPRF. My routine is to shoot 100 rounds of whatever ammo I'm testing. I shoot 5 round groups from 50 yards. Usually that's 10-15 rounds to season the barrel then a couple more groups to warm up before shooting two 6 x 5 targets.

I had just over 700 rounds thru the rifle before today's test with mixed and inconsistent results with most groups in the .7xx to .6xx inch center to center range. I'd get a .4xx or even a .3xx group once in a while. SK Rifle Match put me right at a .5xx average (1 MOA). Yesterday I splurged and popped for some "high-end" ammo, Lapua Midas+. Here are some of the results. Too bad I can't afford to buy this ammo all the time!
Font Currency Emblem Circle Logo
Vertebrate Mammal Font Art Money
Font Coin Circle Money Currency
Vertebrate Handwriting Font Currency Coin

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
My Tac-Sol 10/22 really likes SK Rifle Match, are you cleaning the barrel when changing ammo? I don’t have to swab my gun out if I change ammo, (within reason amounts), but I do need to run about 10 or so rounds to season it before it starts grouping acceptably.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, rimfires are extremely ammo sensitive. This is my 10 shot group with my Ruger Target and plain jane CCI's.

View attachment 365383
View attachment 365384
Bad Bob that is a monster 10 rounder! Maybe with good luck and a change to my glasses Rx I'll get close to that some day.

Once I get some consistency at 50 I intend to move out to 100 and 10 round groups. The groups in my OP are actually the best I've ever done with this rifle. Frankly this has me rethinking the need to upgrade its barrel.

i had found my groups opening up the last 100-200 rounds and a couple of failures to eject. I cleaned the chamber well suspecting a carbon ring. The bore was left as is except for a pull of a dry bore snake after cleaning the chamber. I know the ammo was a big part of the improvement. Perhaps the cleaning. More likely just me getting more confortable behind the rifle. I've noticed that the lighter I hold the rifle the better the groups. I suspect the RPRF chassis/stock is not up to the task and flexes somewhat when held tightly.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Tac-Sol 10/22 really likes SK Rifle Match, are you cleaning the barrel when changing ammo? I don’t have to swab my gun out if I change ammo, (within reason amounts), but I do need to run about 10 or so rounds to season it before it starts grouping acceptably.
I clean the barrel when I know the next ammo I'll be testing is a different brand. Then I season it with a 10-15 round warm up before shooting groups. However, I had cleaned the chamber before this last test as my groups seemed to be opening a bit. I've read where a carbon ring can form in the chamber reducing accuracy.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I clean the barrel when I know the next ammo I'll be testing is a different brand. Then I season it with a 10-15 round warm up before shooting groups. However, I had cleaned the chamber before this last test as my groups seemed to be opening a bit. I've read where a carbon ring can form in the chamber reducing accuracy.
I’m not great at keeping a 10/22 clean; Pain in the rear to take mine out of the Titan stock and field strip. I’m spoiled by so much time on Glocks and AR platforms.

·
Super Moderator
20,261 Posts
I'm testing various ammunition to find what shoots best from my RPRF. My routine is to shoot 100 rounds of whatever ammo I'm testing. I shoot 5 round groups from 50 yards. Usually that's 10-15 rounds to season the barrel then a couple more groups to warm up before shooting two 6 x 5 targets.

I had just over 700 rounds thru the rifle before today's test with mixed and inconsistent results with most groups in the .7xx to .6xx inch center to center range. I'd get a .4xx or even a .3xx group once in a while. SK Rifle Match put me right at a .5xx average (1 MOA). Yesterday I splurged and popped for some "high-end" ammo, Lapua Midas+. Here are some of the results. Too bad I can't afford to buy this ammo all the time!
View attachment 365379 View attachment 365380 View attachment 365381 View attachment 365382
Nice work!

If you can find it, give Wolf Match Extra a try. In my most accurate .22 - a "built" 10/22 with bolt & trigger work and a Feddersen barrel - it's more consistent and accurate than the Federal Gold Medal and SK Standard + that are highly touted. Also far less pricey than Lapua Midas+!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts