Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this usually dont like to post links to other forums but this is pretty intersting what he has found so far

The poster is measureing the DB of a gun Fired with different loads in the posters own words

"I am trying to factor in sound for choosing a home-defense weapon so I did some sound testing today"

Im going to read though it more

Everything will be damaging to hearing somewhat if unmuffed but still intresting none the Less

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Give some feedback Bud - sounds interesting.

I have the feeling that levels will be up around 120-130 dB peak - which is well up there for damage to ears. Worst I think is very confined spaces where sound cannot dissipate, plus the peak is effectively a short duration shockwave - about the worst for ear drum.

I am imagining even my NAA mini with 22 mag's will be well painful in confines of a room. Outdoors certainly not gonna be quite so grim.

IIRC dB's are not absolute units but, relative to some chosen datum - with sound I seem to recall it is a measure of energy, on a logarithmic scale - each 3 dB step is a doubling or halving.

·
Super Moderator
25,571 Posts
P95Carry said:
IIRC dB's are not absolute units but, relative to some chosen datum - with sound I seem to recall it is a measure of energy, on a logarithmic scale - each 3 dB step is a doubling or halving.
Yea, dB is a logarithmic scale, and each 6 decibel increase is equivalent to a doubling of actual sound pressure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts