Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As was mentioned in the thread about posting pictures on Facebook, the DC forum is open to anyone on the internet to browse and read. Although I enjoyed reading the forums prior to joining DC, I was wondering if it would be wise to lock out more of this forum unless you joined. 117 voted no to Facebook while 65 voted yes. Of course, most of us use aliases or screen names but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a person's identity. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
My thoughts are "why do you want to hide your support for the 2a??"

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Since joining DC, I have noticed the big black vans and helicopters around the house, but I just ignore them...:blink:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
My thoughts are that if you want to live a life "off the grid" where "they" can't find out about you...The internet is not the right place to do it.
Even better put than I could! That's why JD makes the BIG DC bucks!

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Besides the two unknow black cars now sitting outside my house all the time.... ??

I agree with the OP.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Lets just say this, I am not a hacker of any kind. A guy threatened my life online awhile ago, and not the usual crazy stupid stuff. I emailed him pictures of his house from google maps, I did not know his name, email address, or anything about him till he shot me a threatening message on another social media site. I did it in a day.
Google, and a few hours seaching and one can find out a lot.

So locking things out kinda is pointless.

The good new is he closed his account and I havent heard from him since.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
We have some of the forum locked out to encourage people to join rather than lurk, but for the most part we are open. The Internet is a rather open place and we should all be mindful of how much information we give out in a public forum. Closing down the forum would restrict search engines from finding us and indexing us, which is not a good thing for a forum. In fact, the software we use to make it easier for them to find and index us is not cheap.

I would suggest being careful what you tell people and if some idiot takes exception with you and comes after you, keep your gun handy and always in condition one..... :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
We have some of the forum locked out to encourage people to join rather than lurk, but for the most part we are open. The Internet is a rather open place and we should all be mindful of how much information we give out in a public forum. Closing down the forum would restrict search engines from finding us and indexing us, which is not a good thing for a forum. In fact, the software we use to make it easier for them to find and index us is not cheap.

I would suggest being careful what you tell people and if some idiot takes exception with you and comes after you, keep your gun handy and always in condition one..... :wink:
Sage advice. This applies to all areas of our lives. :hand10:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If you are trying to stay private, posting to an internet forum would be out of the question. Since everyone on here posts, that means strict privacy is not our goal.

Me? I am not overly concerned with someone knowing who I am and what I like. I am a gregarious guy who doesn't mind people knowing what makes me tick. So I post without any concerns that the BG is going to trace me home.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Its not a matter of being out in the open on the internet its more about theme... DC is all about 2A rights, open and conceal carry topics, 2A marketplace, sharing experiences, and stories.

Facebook is about social networking and keeping people connected. Its where people go to post comments, status and upcoming events. Its a powerful FREE advertising tool for businesses also.

Since there will be both pro and anti 2A people lurking on Facebook there are people that would advise to be careful what you post on there. If you post pictures of you pointing a gun at the camera in a Matrix movie outfit and talking about grouping 100 rounds of .40 at 25 yards, that could rub someone the wrong way. Great thing about living in America is you don't HAVE to care...Its a free country. You have the ability to post it and not be arrested for posting it.

If you like posting gun related content on Facebook then do it; Keep in mind depending on what and how much you post it may bite you in the butt later in some way.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
This is a very open forum and that is one of the things I like about it. Each and every one of us is repsonsible for what we post about ourselves. Some of us are a little more concerned with opsec than others. That is why some of us choose not to post in certain threads, or show serial numbers, or other traceable personally identifying information. Each of us gets to decide what they want to reveal.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Since joining DC, I have noticed the big black vans and helicopters around the house, but I just ignore them...:blink:
Hmmm. I haven't seen any of those. Except the most recent "long black automobile" that I saw following me had a coffin in the back. :blink:

All kidding aside, I for one am glad to have found this forum. I have gained so much from the people here and the open nature of it.

:bier: Here's to more of the same!

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Me too...24 hours a day I have military helos including Cobras and Apaches fly over and the neighborhood is being patrolled by armored vehicles with machinegun armed turrets and uniformed & armed personnel are walking all over the place………OH wait a minute…..I’m in Iraq:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Me too...24 hours a day I have military helos including Cobras and Apaches fly over and the neighborhood is being patrolled by armored vehicles with machinegun armed turrets and uniformed & armed personnel are walking all over the place………OH wait a minute…..I’m in Iraq:rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl:

Stay safe and God Bless

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I come here to learn about how to safely and successfully keep myself safe. There is some good info to help keep us within the law as well.

I try to contribute as appropriate :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just be sure to line your hat with tinfoil so they can't read your mind.

:rofl::rofl:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.