Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
I much prefer scotch to bourbon, but I keep a bottle of Maker's Mark for friends and relatives who prefer bourbon.
I have given away bottles of Johnny Walker Blue and Black. I just can't drink scotch. For bourbon, I try different one people swear by (Woodford's Reserve, Makers Mark, Bullit, etc.) but keep coming back to Jim Beam Black, although JB "Pre-Prohibition" rye is running a close second.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I've been switched over from Bourbon to Irish whiskey for some time. When I was a regular bourbon consumer, you could still get Pappy's. I still recommend Jefferson's as a good, commodity priced bourbon that's consistently available.

No matter what type of brown spirit you prefer:

View attachment 301832

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I have given away bottles of Johnny Walker Blue and Black. I just can't drink scotch. For bourbon, I try different one people swear by (Woodford's Reserve, Makers Mark, Bullit, etc.) but keep coming back to Jim Beam Black, although JB "Pre-Prohibition" rye is running a close second.
I've got a bottle of Woodford I'll be polishing off this weekend, and I've been sipping, and growing quite fond of, Bulleit bourbon. Makers is a good 'standard' and Elijah Craig is pretty good too.

I have yet to try OldVets favorite, but I think it's time I ponie-up and try his JB Black.....

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
I've got a bottle of Woodford I'll be polishing off this weekend, and I've been sipping, and growing quite fond of, Bulleit bourbon. Makers is a good 'standard' and Elijah Craig is pretty good too.

I have yet to try OldVets favorite, but I think it's time I ponie-up and try his JB Black.....
My trip down the JBB road began at the Ft. Hood base liquor store where a guy was passing out free samples, a $2 off coupon, and a free phone calling card. That sample was the smoothest bourbon I'd ever tasted, and its hint of caramel sold me. I took the card, got my $2 off, and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Pretty much any scotch, but I keep a bottle of Woodford Reserve for my friends with less refined tastes. :image035:

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Pretty much any scotch, but I keep a bottle of Woodford Reserve for my friends with less refined tastes. :image035:
I'm one of the few who drink both, right now I'm working my way down a bottle of Woodford. I'll probably pick up another bottle of Balvenie next time I'm at the liquor store.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
I'm one of the few who drink both, right now I'm working my way down a bottle of Woodford. I'll probably pick up another bottle of Balvenie next time I'm at the liquor store.
I'm particularly fond of the Balvenie Doublewood and Portwood.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
@scottync; That sounds good, we are going to get a bottle of that and try it 😃

I hardly drink, stomach won’t allow it even though I do like the buzz. When I do I will agree with the OldVet school of thought and love Jim Beam, it’s sweet. Anything with lots of sugar seems to tantalize my taste buds :yup:

Would choose a milkshake/ice cream/cookies/cupcakes over liquor any day of the week though!

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
Wild Turkey 101 is the best kept secret in bourbon. Shh, don't tell anyone. I want it to stay affordable.
That was my Dad's cold remedy. A couple shots of that and he always felt better.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
Bourbon can be made outside of KY, for the record, but that's definitely not bourbon in the OP.
The requirements for whisky to be called bourbon are it's made from at least 51% corn and aged in charred oak barrels. Where that occurs is irrelevant--technically.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
I know a few Kentucky boys who would disagree. Including me.
And I would agree with your disagreement. What brands some "experts" may like, I do not. But I know what I like!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts