Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first order of business once I get my reloading equipment is to make some 30-06 dummy rounds. I'm thinking of pulling apart live rounds, dumping the powder, killing the primer, decapping followed by reseating the bullet.

But whats he most surefire way to kill a primer? I'd have no problem setting them off, but I don't have a rifle yet.

·
8,501 Posts
Oil. Let it soak in for a while.

·
Registered
328 Posts
ball peen hammer

but seriously the majority of "dummy" rounds your see for display are bare pockets and some even go as far as drilling a hole in the case web area. If you are thinking "dummy" for snap cap like purposes I would suggest get getting a snap cap as a repeatedly hit primer has little effect on the firing pin after the first couple strikes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
sorry mis read your post

You are looking to kill the primer so you can decap the casings, I got ya now, A penatrating oil like pb blaster or such is the safest method

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't risk it. Oil may or may not kill the primer. Fired 30-06 brass is as plentiful as blades of grass. Scrounge some empty cases at the local range or from your buddies. If that doesn't work, I'll mail you some... ;-)

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
pull the bullet dump the powder put the primed case in your gun and pull the trigger

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The first order of business once I get my reloading equipment is to make some 30-06 dummy rounds. I'm thinking of pulling apart live rounds, dumping the powder, killing the primer, decapping followed by reseating the bullet.

But whats he most surefire way to kill a primer? I'd have no problem setting them off, but I don't have a rifle yet.
That's doing it the hard way. Just de-prime a fired case and seat a bullet in it.

FWIW, do not depend upon any particular oil/solvent to kill primers. The only guaranteed, 100 percent sure-fire (no pun intended) way is to shoot them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont actually have the gun for 30-06 yet, I'm wanting to make dummies so I can practice loading/unloading my M1 Garand prior to taking it to the range.

Don't want to buy eight snap caps, I'll start asking around at the range if anybody shoots 30-06.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
The only sure-fire way to kill a live primer is to strike it with a firing pin.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
pull the bullet dump the powder put the primed case in your gun and pull the trigger
The only sure-fire way to kill a live primer is to strike it with a firing pin.
Listen to these guys. They've got it right. Don't ever count on oil to kill a primer.

Hoss

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
for $50 you could get a single stage lee press, univ decap die, shell holder and a fire proof blanket.

mount the press on a bench, put decap and shell holder in, put primed shell in the press cover with fire proof blanket, put on a long sleeve shirt, welder's gloves, safety glasses and leather apron and slowly decap the brass.

Or fire the primer like Ram Rod and dukalmighty said.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I dont actually have the gun for 30-06 yet, I'm wanting to make dummies so I can practice loading/unloading my M1 Garand prior to taking it to the range.

Don't want to buy eight snap caps, I'll start asking around at the range if anybody shoots 30-06.
Ah Ha----Another candidate for the infamous "M-1 Thumb". :aargh4::banned::banned::banned:

Dont worry--It will feel better in a couple of weeks. And I'll bet you will be more carefull in the future.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ah Ha----Another candidate for the infamous "M-1 Thumb". :aargh4::banned::banned::banned:

Dont worry--It will feel better in a couple of weeks. And I'll bet you will be more carefull in the future.
I got my first (and LAST one) in high school ROTC in Owensboro, Kentucky in 1960. It took WEEKS for the impression of the bolt face to go away.

·
Banned
471 Posts
I've poked out plenty of live primers for various reasons and have never had one go off. I tend to decap it a little slower than normal, but I wouldn't fear it one bit to just poke it out live.

30.06 brass is plentiful to find, I even have a handful of it that I've picked up with everything else and have never had a 30.06 rifle and it would save you taking apart perfectly good rounds.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Too bad it ain't pistol brass,you can take hot glue sticks and use the case mouth to cut plugs IE bullets,then ,with the bullet in the case load and shoot your wifes knick-nacks off the shelf,make sure she isn't gonna be home for awhile and walk in the door just as you pop onea her hummel thingys

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Too bad it ain't pistol brass,you can take hot glue sticks and use the case mouth to cut plugs IE bullets,then ,with the bullet in the case load and shoot your wifes knick-nacks off the shelf,make sure she isn't gonna be home for awhile and walk in the door just as you pop onea her hummel thingys

:haha:

Thats exactally what I would do :theyareontome:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I showed this to my wife and she made references to making swinging targets out of certain of your male-specific body parts. :rofl:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oil is one thing (not gonna try that) but I know a REALLY BAD idea when I see one.

Guess I'll scour the range for brass or wait til I have the rifle and pop the primers one at a time.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Then there is the old teen-age stunt of pulling the bullet, dumping the powder, putting the case in a vice and hitting the primer with a center punch and a hammer. :rofl:

NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!! :aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4:

·
Registered
239 Posts

Might be a good idea to mark them somehow (holes etc.) so they don't look like live ammo...If you want to actually fire the weapon with one of them chambered, then you can make your own homemade snap caps by filling the primer pocket with clear silicone tub sealer and pushing in into the cartridge itself so as to lock it in place after it cures. Once it is cured you can strike it repeatedly with the firing pin w/o damaging anything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts