Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work with two individuals who have been known to have violent outbursts at work. One of the two is very unstable and we believe that he is schizophrenic (he is homeless so he doesn't have a doctor). This individual has recently started stashing his clothes in the lockers that we have in the back of the store. I alerted my manager to this practice when it became obvious that he is storing drugs in his locker and is using in the store. Furthermore it is likely a health code violation (we work in food service), as you you are able to smell whatever clothes of his may be in the locker at the time.
I opened the locker in front of my manager to alert him to what was going on, and the very next day I got sold out to my co-worker by the same manager. I saw him last night when I stopped into work and he immediately began screaming at me, threatening that he will break into my car, saying that I'll "be sorry" and that he's "coming for me". Unfortunately, if I call out to avoid the situation all together by calling out (what I consider to be the smartest and safest option), I'll likely be fired. With that information in mind, what would people do in this situation?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I work with two individuals who have been known to have violent outbursts at work. One of the two is very unstable and we believe that he is schizophrenic (he is homeless so he doesn't have a doctor). This individual has recently started stashing his clothes in the lockers that we have in the back of the store. I alerted my manager to this practice when it became obvious that he is storing drugs in his locker and is using in the store. Furthermore it is likely a health code violation (we work in food service), as you you are able to smell whatever clothes of his may be in the locker at the time.
I opened the locker in front of my manager to alert him to what was going on, and the very next day I got sold out to my co-worker by the same manager. I saw him last night when I stopped into work and he immediately began screaming at me, threatening that he will break into my car, saying that I'll "be sorry" and that he's "coming for me". Unfortunately, if I call out to avoid the situation all together by calling out (what I consider to be the smartest and safest option), I'll likely be fired. With that information in mind, what would people do in this situation?
Do you have an HR department? If you do...that's who you need to contact ASAP.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yep. You need to bypass your manager as that person obviously is of no help. Make sure you have them put it on record that you reported the problem. Then inform them you did that because you want to be I the clear if something bad does happen and the media reports it. That should get their attention!

PS. If you feel threatened, you might even need to go outside the company if they won't help.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Two things

1) Contact a labor attorney in your area. This would be for your protection, as workplace harassment is their specialty. An attorney may, or may not, recommend you contact the police about the drugs issue.

2) If NLRB has an office has an office in your area, contact them as well.

It is important you get your issues on record somewhere so you can protect your livelihood.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You need to notify HR or management in writing in case things escalate. Management can't be expected to do anything about a situation they aren't aware of. If you don't have a paper trail and this guy gets violent, management is likely to say that you never informed them and you can't prove it unless you have a paper trail.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
You did the right thing. You took it up the chain of command and found your manager to be a broken link. Now you need to go further up the chain and reiterate your concerns.

Good luck and carry your gun.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Call the police and make a report. I have had two "disgruntled" employee scenarios in which one was the employee and threatened me and vandalized my car. The second was a temp employee who had to be terminated for coming to work intoxicated. Her husband came in at lunchtime with a 9mm and walked into my office. I was able to talk him out of it. After that we changed our termination procedure.

Don't take it lightly. I was lucky the guy didn't kill me.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Document document document. Everything. Time, what was said, who said what. Keep a notebook, if possible record(cell phone?) any threats. If threatened directly, call the police. You are in a toxic environment, and the management is supposed to protect you. They may choose to ignore your problem, which leaves them vulnerable to your legal action.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Look at it this way. If the guy does something and you defend yourself. Then tell your story. The first thing they are going to say is "If you felt so threatened, why didn't you call the police?"

So, call the police and make a report.

·
Premium Member
8,210 Posts
I had one un-stable employee , i had to figure out a plan to get rid of him . He left on his own but it was still a dicey situation with very vulgar text , and a fired co-worker of his (a friend) i had to let go .

He changed our company for a couple years , we are better now but he done real damage & thefts .

Always have a plan or a course of action , never go blindly into this . Document everything .

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Seems your manager has his priorities on a limited career path. You must quickly go higher than the lame manager that has chosen sides and does not want to loose his drug supply connection. Document! Proof or no proof a threat must be reported to police.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Call the police and make a report. I have had two "disgruntled" employee scenarios in which one was the employee and threatened me and vandalized my car. The second was a temp employee who had to be terminated for coming to work intoxicated. Her husband came in at lunchtime with a 9mm and walked into my office. I was able to talk him out of it. After that we changed our termination procedure.

Don't take it lightly. I was lucky the guy didn't kill me.
I have to ask. What did you change your termination procedure to that would stop the husband from going nuts? Did you stop terminating drunks?

Sam

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
First of all, what kind of place do you work at that employees a homeless, drug user with some form of mental illness? Second, why do you want to keep working there?

Go over your manager's head. Talk to his boss. Talk to HR. Talk to the police. And if you then get fired, talk to a labor attorney. You will have a very solid law suit. Also, I would do more then talk to them. Write out your complaint and sign it. Then have each one of them sign a copy of what you gave them. Be sure to use the term "hostile work environment". People take things a little more seriously when complaints are made in writing.

This is also a good time to start looking for another place to work. It may not come to that, but it's good to be prepared.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I have to ask. What did you change your termination procedure to that would stop the husband from going nuts? Did you stop terminating drunks?

Sam
No, we now never terminate people at the office. We first decide to terminate them. Then change all of their access to the office and internet/email etc. Then they are notified by phone after hours in the evening and told not to return to the office. The following afternoon they get a FedEx package with all of their personal belongings and written termination letter outlining the written details. This gives them the evening or preferably the weekend to cool off. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It sounds like there were pretty explicit threats made. That goes a bit beyond harassment. Threats intended to terrorize or put you in fear for your safety/life, etc. are not workplace harassment; they are a crime. May depend on exactly what was said and/or his ability to reasonably carry out those threats, but you should have pretty solid grounds for an order of protection even if it isn't a 'go to jail' scenario.

None of those things are going to keep this person from forcing a confrontation of course, but doing your due diligence and exhausting the legal avenues may prove very helpful in the unlikely event you wind up having to put a beat down (or worse) on him in order to protect yourself.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Call a lawyer/your lawyer, call the police, report it (nmbr5 is spot on here depending on state law), and then go to your higher up HR dept.

Clearly the manager is either in on it, doesn't care, or something else altogether not good.

This is why a secure entry door to a business office is important.. change the door code, crazy person can't get in without smashing glass and such.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts