Defensive Carry banner

Which one should I get (Read post first)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help here deciding. I can get one of two rifles at Christmas time :smile: ... but not both.

I can get an M1 Garand which I've always wanted. Pro's and cons of it are there is already one in the family. My father in law says I can have his when he kicks the bucket. It is in near perfect condition. I don't want to see him kick the bucket, but he is in ill health and it could be next year, it could be in 20 years. I could get one now (Since it's the one I want the most) and have two at some point, or I can wait... who knows what the future holds. It shoots a 30-06 which is a caliber I don't have currently, and I hate adding new calibers to my collection with the price of ammo and all, but it's a classic American rifle. Yet I see no sense in buying one now when I know I'll have a guaranteed one in the future.

The second one I really want is a Dragunov of some sort. It shoots a 7.62x54R which is a caliber I currently have because of my Mosin. It's priced about the same as a M1, shoots a few more rounds and looks a lot nicer IMO then the M1. They are both fantastic rifles, about the same price... but I can only pick one.

What do you guys think? Which one should I get?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Garand, if only because supplies are drying up faster than are the stores of Combloc guns. Keep in mind, though, that the second rifle you're picturing is a PSL and not an actual Dragunov. The difference in price between the two is a little ridiculous. :frown:

-B

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garand, if only because supplies are drying up faster than are the stores of Combloc guns. Keep in mind, though, that the second rifle you're picturing is a PSL and not an actual Dragunov. The difference in price between the two is a little ridiculous. :frown:

-B
Ya I wasn't gonna shell out $2500 for a real Soviet Dragunov... I was thinking more along the lines of a Romanian or a variant of some sort. They are more within my budget.

With the M1 though... This is my pickle. I know I will get my father in laws when he passes. He's said that... I mean don't get me wrong, I want one now, but at the same point I could wait too god forbid he does pass. I know the M1 is safe in the family, and he won't give it up to just anyone.

Thats what made me want a Dragunov... thus my pickle.

But then again... having two M1's would be nice :image035:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Heh, $2500 if you're really good friends with someone. Last I priced them was at a few grand and higher. Anyway, the Romanian PSLs appeal to most people who own them. Little rough around the edges, but they're built like Romanian AKs so this shouldn't be any surprise to anyone.

Unless your FIL is up their and not looking so good in health, I'd still strongly lean toward the Garand. PSLs come in regularly and their prices will remain fairly stable, usually around $700-$900 new if you look and ask around. Worst case scenario is you end up with two Garands eventually; personally, I've never known anyone to think of this as a bad thing.

BUT, that's just my opinion. Others will likely have a different opinion, and given the inexpensive caliber the PSL shoots I don't begrudge them their opinion(s). I just have a soft spot for old war guns.

-B

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
M1 Garand. Patton's favorite. All American. Better ammo selection.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Let's apply the new "global climate change model" to this thread

THE DEBATE IS OVER!

Ok, now you can just get both. See there, problem solved.

P.S. - I'd get the Garand.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Are you kidding? You needed a poll for this? Get a Garand, and one day, you will have two. That ain't so bad is it?

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Are you kidding? You needed a poll for this? Get a Garand, and one day, you will have two. That ain't so bad is it?
Remember the old saying, "Two is one and one is none."

Get the Garand.

Biker

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
M1 Garand no doubt. It's like asking who you would rather take to your 25 year High School Class Reunion - The Captain of the Swedish Bikini Team...or Phylis Diller?

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The M1 is a piece of history...Not Just American but the World. You are right nothing wrong with having two.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
M1 Garand.

For all the reasons above, plus...those PSL's aren't all that great, in my experience; a mostly worn out Garand will still shoot rings around it.

:blink:

(Ok, perhaps that's not the best way to put it...but you get my drift.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.