Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got a used Mossberg 835 a few months ago and decided I wanted to do something with it. I've seen and read a few threads on here and elsewhere of people doing their own camo jobs, after looking at TONS of pictures I decided which style I wanted to go with. Then I got some krylon +rustoleum camo spray paint and went at it - on a plastic toy gun. Then I proceeded to get several more colors of camo spray paint (finding the right color combo is a big part of getting what you want) and working on my technique several times over I ended up going with a pine straw technique, just covering with pine straw for the top coats. I probably painted that little toy gun about ten times before I got something I liked, lol. Then finally after a week plus of messing around, I took the shotty apart, cleaned it with alcohol and went to it. I know some will bash it, but that's ok - its way better than black (to me) and most importantly, I love it! Not too bad for a little time and effort and a couple cans of spray paint.

The little toy gun befor and after
matts iphone pics 018.jpg 4-26 017.jpg

And the Mossberg before and after
4-26 014.jpg mattt's Iphone 007.jpg mattt's Iphone 008.jpg mattt's Iphone 006.jpg

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
Looks great!:hand9:

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I think it looks great!!!! I'd like to find a shotty that looks rough and do something like this to it.

I'm interested in how the Krylon will hold up on a firearm, especially with cleaners and such.

Did you use a plastic primer on the stocks? Did you use any kind of primer on the metal?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I did something similar on my MKA 1919, but mine isn't for hunting so the camo pattern is more for looks than function. I added three coats of matte clear coat, and its held up to everything (oil, Hoppes, etc).

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, didn't use any primer on metal or plastic. I read the info on the cans and it said as long as the plastic and metal were clean, it would be good to go. Of course I take that for what its worth, some writing on a can, lol. I did put a coat of matte finish poly on top after letting the paint sit for several days. It feels really good and on there, I can't scratch it off with my fingernails or anything. I wouldn't do this on a gun that'll be heavily used or abused, I'm sure it'll wear off with time though. Ya, I'll be interested to see how it holds up with cleaning chemicals too. I admit I'll probably be a little careful when cleaning, lol.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did something similar on my MKA 1919, but mine isn't for hunting so the camo pattern is more for looks than function. I added three coats of matte clear coat, and its held up to everything (oil, Hoppes, etc).
Sweet! That's good to hear!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I went turkey hunting for my first time this year, so I used a camo wrap on my shotgun.

Yours looks A LOT better than mine!

Nice job, miller_man.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Sweet.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
That doesn't look like a DIY job at all, you did a great job with that.

·
Registered
42,957 Posts
Nice job. I'd set it somewhere and not be able to find it.

Reactions: Snub44

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I think it looks very good !!!!!!! much better than the home camo jobs i see at the gun shows.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
Nice job.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
Can you post a picture of something other than your tree and your lawn?

Looks good to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts