Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking of getting another gun I have a bulldog for plinking and for backup home defense but I feel I need more capacity and more of a practical weapon. Down the road I plan on getting a .38 for a car/pocket gun. But as far as a good mainline weapon, not sure. I love revolvers and feel 100% comfortable with them. But I also kind of want to try an auto. I don't know much about them and have never used one. A little intimidated by them. For a mainline defense weapon for home defense I am planning on renting a few autos and trying them out. Then I'll know more if I like them or not. So far just by trying them in gun shops, some feel ok in the hand but I don't like the slide on them and they just seem dangerous to me compared to revolvers. I don't know. Should I try an auto, or keep it simple and go with an sp101 or a .38 revolver? I hate to rule out autos until I at least give them a fair shake.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Very few folks decide to purchase a "bad" gun. The most mainstream answer I can provide, without a second-thought, is...GLOCK G19! :yup:

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Couple of things for you to consider. The people who protect you and your family for a living carry semi autos and have for several decades now. They are no more dangerous than a revolver. Safety is between your ears.

There are some very real advantages to semi autos - capacity is one. I'm sure if you spend some time handling and shooting them, you'll find one you like. There's nothing wrong with revolvers. You need to keep up with what type of crimes are taking place in homes and types of situations you may find yourself.

Regardless of what weapon you decide on, leaving any gun inside an unattended vehicle, locked or not, risks arming a felon so that he may engage in more dangerous occupations. I discourage that - especially because you are not in a rural area.

And I will add to the chorus. The Glock 19 is an extremely capable weapon for self defense.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you are comfortable with revolvers, there's absolutely nothing wrong sticking with that platform. It's worked well for hundreds of years.

But if you do decide on trying an auto, like already stated, Glock 19 is hard to beat for an all-around gun.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I too favor revolvers far more than autos, my SP101 being the first handgun I owned. I learned on a Single Six, and carried a GP100 on my hip when I helped run bear dogs.

However, I realized the practicality of an auto-loading pistol and my first true CCW purchase was a .40 S&W Shield. Thanks to numerous positive comments about the firearm on this forum, plus some inquiring on my part, I came to choose the Shield. I carry it the majority of the time and especially when I'm going to be quite social (i.e. trips into the city). I also possess an LCP for discrete social interactions, but its probably best to start you off with something comfortable to shoot.

I'm not pushing the Shield (though the rebates out right now make it worth looking at) or the LCP, but what I am pushing is the practicality of owning a semi-automatic pistol for defensive purposes. Whether it be a subcompact for EDC or a full size for HD, autos do have their place in the carry world.

Being a bit of a fanboy, I will suggest you take a look at a Ruger 9E if possible. Full size budget 9mm that would do just fine for protecting the castle and won't hurt the bank.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Do not purchase any weapon platform you are afraid of or are not comfortable with or feel unsafe with until such time as you have had enough range time to feel safe and secure.

End of story.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
There will be plenty of GLOCK 19!!! comments (as it is a solid choice for many). So, I will just say my preference is for revolvers.

When it comes down to it, find the gun you are comfortable carrying, caring for and shoot well. To do this you will need to shoot many. Take the time to handle and shoot prior to purchasing.

Enjoy and let us know what you get...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just curious what is it about semi-autos that make them seem dangerous to you? Is it the light trigger pull weight? That can be fixed by putting in a heavier trigger. Are you afraid of the slide biting your hand? Most companies have a beaver tail on the pistol or as an accessory that can be added on.

Knowing exactly what it is about semi-autos that you do not like will help us give you proper suggestions.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
If you are comfortable with wheelguns you would probably be well served for HD with a GP-100 and a couple speedloaders. The GP-100's are fairly easy to shoot w/ either .38's or .357's for anyone remotely familiar with revolvers. I started my law enforcement career carrying a similar revolver set-up and it served me well until we switched to Tupperware guns. Good luck!

Reactions: wizard7mm08

·
Registered
249 Posts
Did anyone mention Glock 19 yet?

Also, a lot of ranges have gun rentals. Usually there is the cost of rental plus purchasing ammo for the range. I would suggest taking a class with an instructor and getting them to run you through the basics of a semi auto and rent several different makes and models and find something you are comfortable with. I would not purchase and carry a firearm you are not comfortable with.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I would suggests trying a few before buying. While a few on here will suggest Glock 19, there are others that are just as good or better. My hand doesn't fit the Glocks and I went with the Smith and Wesson line for a better fit. My first choice is a 1911. That said spend some time looking and shooting, most ranges will have rental guns.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Try a CZ. The P10c is a great pistol....

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
One (other) nice thing about the Glock platform is that they are do ridiculously simple to maintain. You can take one apart an put it back together in the dark while falling off a tall building. Some other platforms are MUCH more difficult.

Now understand that I am totally incompetent when it comes to putting stuff together so factor that into my comment.

Try a couple of different autos and see what is comfortable. I first picked up a Glock more than 20 years ago and for me it instantly fit my hand and I was more accurate with it than any other handgun I had ever fired. BUT different strokes for different folks. I carry a Glock 19, or 26 or if pocket carrying I go with a Ruger LC9s. My favorite gun to shoot is my Dan Wesson 1911 but the cleaning about kills me. I schedule a whole evening. Like I said. I readily admit to mechanical weakness.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
So I've been thinking of getting another gun I have a bulldog for plinking and for backup home defense but I feel I need more capacity and more of a practical weapon. Down the road I plan on getting a .38 for a car/pocket gun. But as far as a good mainline weapon, not sure. I love revolvers and feel 100% comfortable with them. But I also kind hands. nt to try an auto. I don't know much about them and have never used one. A little intimidated by them. For a mainline defense weapon for home defense I am planning on renting a few autos and trying them out. Then I'll know more if I like them or not. So far just by trying them in gun shops, some feel ok in the hand but I don't like the slide on them and they just seem dangerous to me compared to revolvers. I don't know. Should I try an auto, or keep it simple and go with an sp101 or a .38 revolver? I hate to rule out autos until I at least give them a fair shake.
I knew the Glockophiles would come right out to say it's the best on on the planet! I grew up with revolvers. Believe me, a Glock is going to feel really alien in your hands. When I got my carry license, I was told I needed to qualify with a pistol. I bought a Walther P99, took it to the course without having fired it, and not only impressed myself, but a few other people as well.

If you live in an area where you can rent a gun, I suggest you try a few different brands. You may or may not like the coveted G19!

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
If you'd feel more comfortable with more safety features, you can get Smith & Wesson M&P's with a manual safety; Ruger SR pistols have one standard; and Springfield XD pistols have a grip safety. All are very good pistols, and can be found for reasonable prices.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
If you have the URGE to tryout a SEMI. Shoot a few at a rental range first. My BIL as an officer (Now Retired) loved his Colt Python. That and his Smith & Wesson Snubby BUG was all he needed (Even though Sigs were popular with his department at the time)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts