Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank-you to members on this site that gave their thoughts on another thread towards finding a good round for defense. A friend on police swat in Washington state recommended the
Speer Gold Dot 40 Cal. 180gr. JHP. Washington St. uses this round that's fired out of their issued Glock 22. Claims they have many shootings per year and that this ammo round works very well.
Any thoughts on this round being used for defense?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about Gold Dot. I use the 124gr +P for my 9mm. I've also heard HST, Ranger T, and Golden Saber are good rounds. But some of those are harder to find.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
20,570 Posts
There are many good options for self-defense. Carry the biggest caliber and gun you can effectively shoot, conceal, and will carry everyday and everywhere. If you decide to carry a small pocket gun in .40 S&W; it will not have the same velocity and energy of a longer barrel pistol like a Glock G22 and will have more felt recoil.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Very good choice, especially the 180 gr load!

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I like heavy for caliber loads and that one is carried in my Glock 23.

photo.jpg
click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon :urla9ub:

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
If they run thru your gun well then I see no problem. Gold Dots are excellent bullets.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
Ammunition Depot has the 165Gr for 38.97 for 50 round box seems fair ($.78 per round) for defensive purposes. I have neve dealt with them, so I could not tell you what their turn around is. They do claim if it's listed on their website they do have it stock !

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
We all know Federal HST 180gr. .40 will drop a T-Rex with a near miss, so lets focus on what makes the rest of handgun ammo effective; penetration.

Speer, Winchester, Federal all have great mass retention. You're looking for reliable expansion and the lead staying with the bullet. They have minute differences, but it is my unscientific opinion that bullet wounds are nasty, and a surgeon probably couldn't tell the difference between brands from the wound channel. They are all reliable. They should all cycle quality pistols. You have a large mass bullet, you have maximized the effectiveness of your caliber.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i get mine from 40 cal | SGAmmo.com 32.95 per box of 50, out of stock right this moment but they restock often.

i use 165 gr gold dot. recoil feels sharper then the 180 federal AE i practice with.

the .40 SW was originally designed in 180 gr and after reading dozens of articles arguing over the "best" bullet weight i ended up settling on the 165 because it was the middle weight. gold dot is offered in 155 165 180.

Reactions: Jerald

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like the heavy for caliber loads myself . I have carried the Gold Dots for a while . Practice with the load you are carrying . I know that's not economical but it is a necessity .

·
Registered
25 Posts
I run the same setup as FlaRon . A G-23 with 180's . Never make the mistake of carrying a particular load just because "we" say it works fine in our guns . ALWAYS send some downrange to be sure they feed reliably in your particular set-up .

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I like the heavy for caliber loads myself . I have carried the Gold Dots for a while . Practice with the load you are carrying . I know that's not economical but it is a necessity .
True indeed. A couple extra bucks today could save your life tomorrow..

·
Registered
316 Posts
After much reading and research I think a +P in 155 to 165 grain GD is my top choice for the .40 S&W. I would say for sure the 180 GD is fine if that is what the LEO told you.

·
Registered
329 Posts
We all know Federal HST 180gr. .40 will drop a T-Rex with a near miss, so lets focus on what makes the rest of handgun ammo effective; penetration.

Speer, Winchester, Federal all have great mass retention. You're looking for reliable expansion and the lead staying with the bullet. They have minute differences, but it is my unscientific opinion that bullet wounds are nasty, and a surgeon probably couldn't tell the difference between brands from the wound channel. They are all reliable. They should all cycle quality pistols. You have a large mass bullet, you have maximized the effectiveness of your caliber.

Gold Dots and HSTs are what you want to carry today. The staff at SGammo.com are on vacation right now therefor everything is listed as "out of stock", but I'm sure they'll put up a bunch of L.E. packaged Gold Dots and HSTs when they get back. You won't get a better price than what they offer.

180gr HSTs get carried in my M&P .40 .

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
After much reading and research I think a +P in 155 to 165 grain GD is my top choice for the .40 S&W. I would say for sure the 180 GD is fine if that is what the LEO told you.
+P does not exist in .40.

-For those who think going light and fast in a sub-compact is the answer, notice that the Speer short barrel line only offers .40 in 180gr. Lesson-stay with heavy for caliber loads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ammunition Depot has the 165Gr for 38.97 for 50 round box seems fair ($.78 per round) for defensive purposes. I have neve dealt with them, so I could not tell you what their turn around is. They do claim if it's listed on their website they do have it stock !
I just ordered 2 boxes from Ammunition Depot. Actually, I called and ordered an extra box of the 165 gr. Shipped with signature was 37.50/box. Very good customer service.
I do have the 2 boxes of the 180 gr as well.
Yeah, if you know how to shoot and control your muzzle, both are great rounds. I was given some advice from a police ballistics expert to use the 165 for the house and the 180's for outside carry. Yeah, 165 is a little snappier, but for heavens sakes, practice more!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I ordered a box that's coming today. The ballistics/denim gel tests are pretty impressive. I have these as my 3rd "just to have in case" shells. I use Speer Gold Dot 165&180 depending on situation, and also my back up Winchester 180 gr PDX1.
Agree with your surgeon statement. I wish the HST had a bonded jacket, but still an awesome round!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST work well in my Glock 30 gen 4.Both 230 grain. I'm sure that other well-known brands would also work well,but I see no reason to change.SGammo.com has
good prices on both.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts