Defensive Carry banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
... A friend on police swat in Washington state recommended the
Speer Gold Dot 40 Cal. 180gr. JHP. Washington St. uses this round that's fired out of their issued Glock 22. Claims they have many shootings per year and that this ammo round works very well....
An old thread, but there's something to be said for carrying the police round (now that departments are hip to the best ammo):
The suggestion has often been made that you should find out what your local police agency carries for ammunition, and then load the same stuff into your concealed carry and defense guns. That way, any opposing lawyer painting you as a malicious sadist for using hollow nose “dum-dum” bullets would run up against your solid defense: you were carrying the same ammo as the cops he works with daily. Are they malicious sadists, too?

I didn’t come up with the idea, but I like it in theory. The “evil dum-dum bullet” argument does get used by prosecutors and plaintiffs’ lawyers alike, whether out of deception or cluelessness.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
An old thread, but there's something to be said for carrying the police round (now that departments are hip to the best ammo):
Carrying police duty ammo in smaller guns/short barrel guns isn't always a good thing. The Gold Dotsmhave been shown, in gel, that it doesn't like slowing way down.

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
169 Posts
I carry Speer 180gr short barrel rounds in my XD40SC. They are hard to find but I use 180gr FMJ and regular Speer 180gr GD for range use.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I prefer the 180 grain bullet in my .40 S&W as well. Not much of a fan of the 165's and 155's.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Carrying police duty ammo in smaller guns/short barrel guns isn't always a good thing. The Gold Dotsmhave been shown, in gel, that it doesn't like slowing way down.
Are you talking about over-penetration?
Why specific to small/short-barrel?
I understand that penetration is the biggest advantage of a heavier bullet.
What am I missing?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
IMHO there are so many different good loadings out there I don't worry about it too much. As long as it cycles in my guns. I do however currently have 180gr GD in both my .40's.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Are you talking about over-penetration?
Why specific to small/short-barrel?
I understand that penetration is the biggest advantage of a heavier bullet.
What am I missing?
I'm talking about failure to expand which can lead to overpenetration. All bullets are designed to properly expand in a certain speed range, lots of tests I have seen on many types of Gold Dots have shown failure to expand in gel from shorter barreled guns. The lack of velocity from short barrel seems to be the culprit as you loose somewhere around 100fps per 1" of barrel length.

Hornady Critical Duty also seems to have issues as well. Out of a 9mm shield the critical duty doesn't work, period.

Check out shootingthebull410 YouTube channel on the 9mm ammo quest. Tons of examples can be found.

Reactions: Pistology

·
Registered
673 Posts
why do the gold dot boxes always look scratched and beat up? and why arnt they sold in larger quantities? they need to work on their packageing

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Gold dots seem to be very good bullets but in gel test that I have watched they don't perform to we'll in short barreled guns. I just got my first 40 a G27. I have critical defense in it now but just placed an order for a couple hundred rounds of 180 grain HST. If it functions well it will be my carry ammo.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am using Winchester Rangers .40 155gr for my S&W Shield 40 and I practiced and tested excellent placement group.

I agree about lighter weight I.E. 155gr tends more snappy recoil but no problem for me. My S&W shield seems fine with those ammo. I mean slider slamming or something that might damage my Shield. Pretty none so far.

Last time, I drew self defense (no fired yet) on BG in less 2-3 yards away from me which is I don't want any heavier such as 180gr might over penetration possible hit innocent or hit somewhere.

I have been watching the underwood reload gold dot and they always out of stock.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Buffalo Bore says it tested its +P 180gr in Sig 229 @ 1221 fps. It has a 3.75 inch barrel. An S&W M&P Compact barrel is 3.5". Any handy reference to how much slower a bullet travels out of a .25"-shorter barrel and if the difference is significant to expansion?

I wouldn't recommend any +P load for S&W Shield 40 or you are asking for trouble.
"This data is intended for use in firearms which fully support the cartridge in the chamber. ... Glock happens to chamber their 40 S&W pistols without a fully supported chamber and both of those above safety notices are likely aimed at Glock. I know of no other 40 S&W handguns being sold in the US that don't have fully supported chambers." - Buffalo Bore.
The OP mentioned Glock 22, and oldranger53 linked the BB+P.
I prefer light and standard to hot (not +P) in .40C or 357sig. Could just as easily go heavier.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Buffalo Bore says it tested its +P 180gr in Sig 229 @ 1221 fps. It has a 3.75 inch barrel. An S&W M&P Compact barrel is 3.5". Any handy reference to how much slower a bullet travels out of a .25"-shorter barrel and if the difference is significant .
What I can tell you is in 3" guns, including the Shield, several very well done videos exist to show failure to expand with factory Gold Dots. Also, those same sources show buffalo bore loaded gold dots OVER expanding and failing to penetrate past 9 or 10"s.

As a general statement, you lose about 100fps per inch of barrel length, sometimes more. Not sure if that equates to 25fps per .25" or not.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts