1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SA Champion Loaded w/novac night sites

OR

Colt Combat Commander XSE

Both are the same price (give or take a few bucks) I started out wanting a Commander lengh 1911, then I deff wanted a Colt, just for the name, the I saw this SA Champion Loaded with novac night sights, and this one is there and I can handle it(and it feels really good), but the Colt I would have to order, and wouldn't be getting the night sights, but I would be getting a Colt, like I started out wanting.
This is going to be a carry piece, so I want total reliability. Now I have a SA Mil-spec and it hasn't missed a beat yet, and on the other hand I have heard some bad things about Colt lately(more so than SA) Which way would yau'll go?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
If t'were me - I think the Springer would come first (before the Colt that is LOL).

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya know I tell myself that the SA is proboly more reliable, but they both have a warrentee, and I could have the Colt tuned if it developes proiblems, When your a 1911 fan there is just something about owning (or even holding) a Colt 1911 that just gives you goose bumps.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
No goose bumps here Bruce - it is enough to be just holding a JMB design from some source - and main concern is whether it is gonna perform right - from day one - with no down time!!

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
I think Bud's right. Buy them both and you don't have to be faced with kicking yourself later if you change your mind. :tongue:

Honestly, I think I would take the Colt, but not sure why.....

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Stay calm Bruce - do NOT let ''Coltitis'' overtake rationality :biggrin:

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P95Carry said:
Stay calm Bruce - do NOT let ''Coltitis'' overtake rationality :biggrin:
I can't help it, that little rampent colt symbol is a very powerfull thing. It makes a man do things he wouldn't normaly do. :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
22,132 Posts
Bruce,

Get the Colt.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I handled a Colt exactly like that one today at the local Gun Shop...it moved up to the on-deck circle, with a new DSA FAL at the plate. Soon as that one is bought and payed for, the Colt will be mine...
[Evil Laugh] MuAh-ha-ha-ha [/Evil Laugh]

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
May just be me, but I'd gor for the Springfield. I know Colt has all the history, but it seems to me today you're paying more for the name. That and I am extremely pleased with my Springfield, it may just be the GI model, but it hasn't given me any serious problems.

A1C Lickey

·
Administrator
143,817 Posts
The Colt

The Colt
It's already got a great set of carry sights on it. It's Stainless & it has less MIM parts.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Both sould be exceptional guns. Personally, I see Colt as less in tune with our 2nd ammend. rights due to their policies concerning AR sales, but maybe thats just me.

·
Super Moderator
22,132 Posts
I see Colt as less in tune with our 2nd ammend. rights due to their policies concerning AR sales, but maybe thats just me.
What is Colt's civilian policy?

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Team American said:
I handled a Colt exactly like that one today at the local Gun Shop
Tell me more about this handling expirance, I can't find one at any gun shop and noone wants to order one just for me to handle(even though I might end up buing it). How did it fit? How was the fit and finish, did you field strip it to get a better look at the workings? I see they offer 2 types of sights on those models, some you see with the carry sights, some you see with the regular fixed 3 dot sights, are the new models all carry sights? Its hard to tell cause they have the same model #.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Bruce, this particular shop had the full stainless model on consignment in used condition. It was in excellent condition, with very little obvious wear. I didn't field strip this pistol, but probably would if I was considering making the purchase right then. Fit and finish were top notch, and the trigger break and reset caused minor heart palpitations (Chris would call this an advanced stage of "Coltitis" :biggrin: ). Asking price was $789.
The shop also had a new Lightweight Stainless Commander. I didn't handle this one. Both models had the dove-tail sights front and rear...asking price on the new Colt was $839. Before I make my final decision, I will handle both some more, and ask everybody here what they think about "lightweight" vs "regular" frames.
But, yes, I am a Colt believer :smile: If nothing else, the prancing pony will mean a better resale value if you wind up not liking the pistol.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I forgot to add this: it's pretty hard to stand in a gunshop, handle a pistol, and decide whether it's the right one or not. Some things just won't reveal themselves until several hundred rounds have been fired. It's always a crap-shoot....that's the reason there are a lot of handguns on consignment at Green Mountain Guns. Sometimes you have to go through several to find the "one true match"....

[Colt colored glasses on] That said, if you get the chance to handle a Colt, see if you don't feel a difference. Sure, they're all 1911's, but a Colt just feels right :diablotin [/Colt colored glasses off]

' :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Team American said:
[Colt colored glasses on] That said, if you get the chance to handle a Colt, see if you don't feel a difference. Sure, they're all 1911's, but a Colt just feels right :diablotin [/Colt colored glasses off]
I hear that, you can even close your eyes and tell the diff between a colt and a copy.
My local gun shop told me $815 + tax for the XSE Combat commander BNIB, I just wanna make sure I get the one with the carry sights. They told me $775 + tax for the SA Champion. For just that little diff I will scrape up some more money and get the Colt, if for nothing else but the rampent colt symbol. I know Chris I got Coltitis, and I got it bad :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts