Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The LCR I am carrying (my wife's) has a few specifications I like:

LCR in 38

Weight 13.5 Ounces; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 38 and 38+P; rear sight integral u-notch and pinned front sight

Easy to carry, light, small, fits AIWB well, could pocket carry and jacket pocket carry/shoot

LCR in 357

Weight 17.1 Ounces; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 357, 38 and 38+P; rear sight integral u-notch and pinned front sight

Easy to carry, light, small, fits AIWB well, could pocket carry and jacket pocket carry/shoot

Notes:

The above are Double Action Only, and other than the weight, identical. The weight difference is significant at 3.6 ounces, or 26.6% more, which would of course make it shoot a wee bit softer.

LCR X in 38

Identical to the LCR other than having Single Action capability:

Weight 13.5 Ounces; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 38 and 38+P; rear sight integral u-notch and pinned front sight

LCR X in 357

Identical to the LCR in 357 other than having Single Action capability:

Weight 17.1 Ounces; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 357, 38 and 38+P; rear sight integral u-notch and pinned front sight

Notes:

Easy to carry, light, small, fits AIWB well, pocket carry not recommended with hammer, could be bobbed

The above are Double Action Only, and other than the weight, identical. The weight difference is significant at 3.6 ounces, or 26.6% more, which would of course make it shoot a wee bit softer.

Summary:

For the sake of simplicity, I am leaning towards the LCR in 357 for the increase in weight with the added bonus (?) of 357 capability :blink: That gives me two revolvers exactly alike effectively, common calibers (which could actually be dangerous if inattentiveness crept in), but without single action capability.

Any thoughts?

Yes, I am obsessing about this, but that's me.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Of those (2) I would go with LCR X in .38 spl. That being said if a Colt Cobra or Detective Special were thrown into the mix I would go with one of those 6 shot models which are great shooters plus one more round capacity! Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a similar issue. I have the LCR in 9 mm but want to convert to the 38 SPL (don't like the moon-clips on the 9 mm). I believe the LCRx can be operated in the single action mode. I am not sure there is really any advantage to a .357 (no doubts comments will come about that). They are certainly good choices for pocket carry! Good Luck. Let us know what you finally decide.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I carry and LCR in .38 as my EDC. To me, it is the perfect pocket carry gun. It is light enough for pocket carry, has smooth edges, nothing to snag, and a great trigger. I like the gun so much, I have gone through the same process thinking about an upgrade. My thoughts have been:
  • It is never going to be target gun with the short barrel. I don't think you gain much going to the heavier frame.
  • The "experts" keep saying that you should never go single action with a revolver, as with the LCRX, but I don't buy that. Single action has its uses. It would never be my primary mode of defensive shooting with a revolver, but having the option might come in handy. But again, with the short barrel, how much difference would it make?
My choice, if I decide to buy one for holster carry, would be the LCRX 3" in .357. I would not load .357 into it, but definitely +P. I think with the longer barrel, and adjustable sights, you are moving into a situation where single action could give you somewhat of a precision shot option. You are also getting some muzzle energy advantage. My thought would be to continue with the lightweight LCR in a pocket holster for my lowest level of carry, the 3" LCRX in an OWB or shoulder holster for the next level up and both for a third level.

Just MHO, just going with the heavier frame and/or the hammer in the shot barrel doesn't provide enough advantage. I think it depends more on how you want to carry it and what you want to load it with, more than advantages in shooting it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I’d say rent and try before you buy.

I can handle recoil of many guns from a 357 Magnum up to the 500 Magnum. But I couldn’t stand the recoil of 38 +P in my LCR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
My choice would be the LCR in 357. I don't consider the weight difference at all unless you pocket carry in lighter clothing. I see no need to handicap yourself with a hammer, even a bobbed hammer is a liability to me. I have shot quite a bit through pockets and while rare I have snagged even a bobbed hammer on material as it fired.
If you think a single action option from a snubby gives you any real advantage I suggest you shoot one more. A 25 yard COM shot double action with as good a trigger as the LCR has is very doable with a little practice.
I wish more manufacturers knew that and gave us more concealed hammer options like the Taurus 856.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My primary carry is an LCR 38. A few years back I purchased an LCRx 38 for the option to belt carry it and have the option of single action. But I almost always just pocket carried the LCR and the LCRx just sat in my safe. So I sold the LCRx to a buddy who loves it and I don't miss it at all.

So in my estimation, if you're going to primarily pocket carry it, go for the original lighter weight LCR 38.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I went with the LCR in 357 because of my intended, niche, use for it. For me it's a winter carry pocket gun for heavy winter coats that slow my access to the also carried EDC guns. I went with no external hammer to reduce snagging on draws from coat pockets.

I also have an SP-101 357 with hammer, so know how to use my thumb on the back of the hammer to reduce snagging, but prefer the cleaner profile of no exposed hammer. I chose 357 because the few extra ounces are still less than my SP-101 which had been fine for winter coat carry, and because I prefer the extra terminal ballistics of 357 over 38.

Also, for me this is a contact distance gun. If I perceive enough time and distance to get my EDC out from under a coat I may choose to go straight to that instead.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I would go with the LCR-38. Much lighter, the cost is a good deal lower, and lighter. Just not sure about the extra advantage of 357 with that short of a barrel.

If I was going for the 357 magnum, I would choose the 3" KLCRX. Three inches would make it worth using magnum rounds for me.

Having both an LCR and a 3" KLCR would be the ideal to me.

·
Registered
655 Posts

For the sake of simplicity, I am leaning towards the LCR in 357 for the increase in weight with the added bonus (?) of 357 capability :blink: That gives me two revolvers exactly alike effectively, common calibers (which could actually be dangerous if inattentiveness crept in), but without single action capability.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I obsessed also with the same guns. So much so that I couldn't make a decision. Then I had this brainstorm and solved it all. I got ALL of them! Even the LCR .22lr. (why not)

View attachment 312816

I know what you're thinkin'...so which one - so which one? You haven't obsessed enough like I did. Give it more time and I'll get back to you. LMAO

(if you study the picture closely, you may be able to get a hint … it's there)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

LCR in 38

LCR in 357

LCR X in 38

LCR X in 357

Summary:

Any thoughts?

Of those four, no other options (LCRX in 3", LCR in 9mm, other brands), I would go with the LCR in .357. It's a bit heavier, and will be somewhat more pleasant to shoot, but still quite easy to pocket carry. "Hammer vs. 'hammerless'" is not a deal breaker, but the minuses of an exposed hammer in this sort of gun have been widely articulated elsewhere.

---edit to add---

And you should be shooting .38 through that LCR357.

·
Registered
655 Posts
OK Rock and Glock, I don't want to see you "Sleepless in Seattle" tonight in bed as you toss and turn thinking about which one. Since I have all of them here's my thinking on it for you. (drumroll please)

The LCRx in .357. Why? Because you want a .357 which you don't have and you don't have a LCR with a hammer. So you get both.

I have 10 revolvers but only 4 are chambered for .357 with the LCR being one of them. Shooting a good number of rounds of .357 at the range really doesn't bother me at all except for the LCR.

All hands are not created equal. Maybe it's just the way the LCR recoils in MY hand in the meaty part under the thumb, I don't know. But that sucker is flat out painful after one cylinder. Shooting an entire box of .357 with the other 3 revolvers isn't a problem but the LCR is punishment. .38 special or .38+P is no problem. Even though it's 4 oz. heavier than the .38 LCR, it has no bearing when .357 is in it.

I do carry the gun though with .357 because it is light. I'm sure I could live through 5 rounds if needed with adreneline pumping. But just practice with +P and whatever you can handle with .357.

So why the hammer instead of DA only? Because it's just neat to shoot that way at the range along with DA. Fun! It's only pocket carried and I have never snagged it coming out with a draw and I practice drawing a lot. You just need the right holsters and pants. Why didn't I take my own advice with the LCRx and get it in .357? Because I got a fantastic price on a new LCRx .38 that just didn't warrant spending 100+ more for the LCRx in .357.

If you are going to belt carry either IWB or OWB then you might want to look into the 3". But I don't. So there you have it.

Pleasant dreams...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a little biased towards the DA only in 357 LCR. I like having a similar platform with my semi auto, hammer fired HK's. I carry Federal 38 HST's with a speed loader of magnums

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
All I can tell you brother is that I spent a number of months shooting a lightweight, short barreled S&W .357. That blasted thing assaulted, and I mean assaulted my hands, arm, eyes and ears.

Between the muzzle flash like an atom bomb, the recoil more suited for a small tank, the ear-splitting boom, and the chewing out I always got at the indoor range I frequented at the time, I decided to sell the offending rascal to another unsuspecting idio....er....buyer.

My vote? LCR in 38 Special. :smile:

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
LCR .357 2" is the way I would go.

1. That slick DAO trigger shoots way good enough for me that I doubt I would do much better in SA.

2. The extra 3.5 ounces (and the Tamer grips, either standard or boot) really help tame the .357 Magnum and completely tames .38 +P.

3. The stainless steel frame should be more durable than the alloy .38 frame. (although I've never heard of anyone wearing out an alloy one either)

4. Better ammo versatility from full snort .357 Magnums to powder puff .38 wadcutters.

5. 2" barrel gives you more carry options, including pocket carry in jeans (I do).

Mine is very accurate. And I don't mean accurate for a 2" revolver, I mean accurate. It's very easy to conceal and carry. Although I often carry it OWB, I also pocket carry and IWB carry a lot with ease. And I've been carrying it for seven years and it's never given me a bit of trouble. I still dig my J frame 642, but my LCR is my go-to snub.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts