Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,273 Posts
Between those two choices, I'd relish going for the extra weight and the .357 Magnum capability would be gravy.

And single-action capability, you bet! I love having choices and hammer spurs hold no fears for me. The expedient thumb tip lightly pressed against the tip end of the hammer spur as the draw is accomplished banishes snagged clothing woes.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I have a LCR 357. If I could go back, Id probably buy a LCR in 38spl. Running a 38spl +p is just fine. Sometimes Ill carry a 357 load in mine for the heck of it, but Ive actually shot quite a few and can control them pretty well and still get my hits where I want, even when Im shooting faster and at a smaller target.

Personally, I have no interest in a hammer on a snub revolver. Its only ever going to be used DA anyway, so the hammer is just a sharp pokey bit to make the gun less comfortable to carry when going appendix, which is how I carry my LCR. With a hammer, I dont think Id be able to carry the gun this way at all. On a Glock 26, even the point at the back top corner of the slide is noticeably less comfortable then the smooth round shape of the LCR.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had them all. I started out the the 38spl...D/A only sold it and went with the....
357 The recoil and blast was ridiculous + the added weight and I’d probably shoot 38 special out of it anyway so why add the extra weight
9mm snappy and I hated the moon clips. Without the moon clips I would get light primer strikes.
327 magnum I really thought this would be it. The recoil and blast was just like the 357 magnum plus the ammo is much more expensive and hard to find.
Went back to the 38 I’m done. Love it it’s been my EDC for some years now.

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
Between those two choices, I'd relish going for the extra weight and the .357 Magnum capability would be gravy.

And single-action capability, you bet! I love having choices and hammer spurs hold no fears for me. The expedient thumb tip lightly pressed against the tip end of the hammer spur as the draw is accomplished banishes snagged clothing woes.
Bryan, you may make money teaching that retro technique.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the LCR in 327. Totally enjoy the gun and that ammo.

There are a couple of loads in 327 that are painful.

I also have a Ruger SP101 in 38/357 2.25 inch barrel and a Kimber K6S.2 inch barrel 38/357. They do handle 357 Magnum, but some loads I will only shoot one cylinder before going to something a little less brutal...lol. I am getting old and my hands are arthritic.

The 327 is an excellent round although ammo is not cheap and some rounds are hard to find. My LCR is an exceptional shooter and very accurate. My weapon has become a daily carry in back upmode and at times primary and is very concealable in a variety of methods. Mine is usually in a pocket in my pants or a jacket/coat.

The LCR has a fantastic trigger. I assume the other calibers in that model also have a great trigger. I do not know about the LCRx but would be interested in a 3 inch in 327 magnum. I like the 327 head and shoulders over the 38 Special.

A couple of the Ruger forums discuss the recoil of the LCR in 38/357.... and 357 seems to be brutal. My does not want to go through the pain. My Kimber was brutal in full load 357 until I was able to adapt a Pachmayr J frame grip to work with it.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Super Moderator
18,273 Posts
Bryan, you may make money teaching that retro technique.
My very best course to teach is Hindsight 101: Miscalculated Ways To Arrive At the Mature Age.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I like the plain ol DAO in 38 special flavor.

I take no pleasure whatsoever in shooting 357 magnum out of a 17 ounce gun, and I don't ever shoot any of my revolvers single action.

So less chances to snag, less weight, and less recoil gets my vote.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had them all. I started out the the 38spl...D/A only sold it and went with the....
357 The recoil and blast was ridiculous + the added weight and I’d probably shoot 38 special out of it anyway so why add the extra weight
9mm snappy and I hated the moon clips. Without the moon clips I would get light primer strikes.
327 magnum I really thought this would be it. The recoil and blast was just like the 357 magnum plus the ammo is much more expensive and hard to find.
Though I’d add a picture

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Though I’d add a 7picture

Whats that grip you got on your LCR Glocking26 ? Pachmayr?

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
The LCR I am carrying (my wife's) has a few specifications I like:

LCR in 38

Weight 13.5 Ounces; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 38 and 38+P; rear sight integral u-notch and pinned front sight

Easy to carry, light, small, fits AIWB well, could pocket carry and jacket pocket carry/shoot

LCR in 357

Weight 17.1 Ounces; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 357, 38 and 38+P; rear sight integral u-notch and pinned front sight

Easy to carry, light, small, fits AIWB well, could pocket carry and jacket pocket carry/shoot

Notes:

The above are Double Action Only, and other than the weight, identical. The weight difference is significant at 3.6 ounces, or 26.6% more, which would of course make it shoot a wee bit softer.

LCR X in 38

Identical to the LCR other than having Single Action capability:

Weight 13.5 Ounces; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 38 and 38+P; rear sight integral u-notch and pinned front sight

LCR X in 357

Identical to the LCR in 357 other than having Single Action capability:

Weight 17.1 Ounces; 1.87" barrel; OAL 6.5"; 357, 38 and 38+P; rear sight integral u-notch and pinned front sight

Notes:

Easy to carry, light, small, fits AIWB well, pocket carry not recommended with hammer, could be bobbed

The above are Double Action Only, and other than the weight, identical. The weight difference is significant at 3.6 ounces, or 26.6% more, which would of course make it shoot a wee bit softer.

Summary:

For the sake of simplicity, I am leaning towards the LCR in 357 for the increase in weight with the added bonus (?) of 357 capability :blink: That gives me two revolvers exactly alike effectively, common calibers (which could actually be dangerous if inattentiveness crept in), but without single action capability.

Any thoughts?

Yes, I am obsessing about this, but that's me.
The Conundrum Continues!!!! The Rugers you wanted me to checkout at the Store are like new......I'm gonna place my line on HEAVY DRAG to get you into the place and REEL YOU IN........:haha::haha
::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ohhhh BTW, they also come in 9MM and use full moon clips. (got those too):biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My opinion if your going with a revolver with hammer thus pocket carry won’t be your primary concern. I would go with something with more weight and thus more shoot ability with more loads. I would lean towards a SP101 which is my answer to most small revolver searches. If your going for pocket carry while the LCR is a fine choice the 442/642 is a easier pocket carry option. Out of your options listed I would go LCR 357 the additional few ounces adds comfort shooting hotter loads, the ability to shoot more types of ammo, and lack of hammer makes it still viable for a pocket while still having a good useable DAO trigger.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My opinion if your going with a revolver with hammer thus pocket carry won’t be your primary concern. I would go with something with more weight and thus more shoot ability with more loads. I would lean towards a SP101 which is my answer to most small revolver searches. If your going for pocket carry while the LCR is a fine choice the 442/642 is a easier pocket carry option.

I agree.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Whats that grip you got on your LCR Glocking26 ? Pachmayr?
I must’ve tried every grip for the LCR out there and couldn’t find one that I was happy with. It’s a shame because there are so many made for the S+W J frame and you’re very limited for the LCR. That grip is a pachmayr the one where you hit the button with your middle finger and the extension drops down. I didn’t like that feature somI fixed it closed. If you look really good the bottom of the grip you’ll see a set screw where I fixed it closed. Finally I found one that works for me.

·
Super Moderator
23,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Now my cute bride has indicated she'll "just" let me carry "her" LCR.

She must be angling for the new gun or sumthin', probably a new Cobra. :rofl:

Regardless, @CLASS3NH is our man. :yup:

Given the time of year it is, and my back issue and eight additional horses to tend to, ain't nuthin' happening in the short run. :blink:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I choose the LCR in 38 but I added the long .357 grip. Perfect for what I bought the gun for and the main thing I was looking for was light weight. I have heavier guns for main protection but gym shorts or sweat pants end up around my ankles with them...I dont pocket carry unless it is in a jacket or coat pocket...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I used to have a 3-1/4" SP-101 that worked very well with the old 124gr medium velocity Remington Golden Sabres. Though it would handle Winchester 180 Partitions without totally mauling me.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 48 Posts