Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get some feedback to the feasibilty and legality of having a dedicated gun that remains in the car. I have a Makarov that would be a good car gun and am thinking of fixing up a holster in my center console of my Focus for this purpose. I'm thinking also of mounting a lock box in the trunk for when I have to leave the car for service while I wait.

What are the legal issues with this as far as Pennsylvania? There are very few places where we CANT have a gun here in PA, and I understand there are separate employer issues to think about, but I'm really thinking about it as I have decided that pocket carry (LCP) is going to be my standard carry method, but it's virtually impossible to get to it while seated in the car.

Any feedback to wether this is or is not a good idea would be appreciated.

I will definitely have to remember to remove it when traveling to the DPRNJ; The Democratic Peoples Republik of New Jersey, as this could end rather badly for me there!:gah:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If you have a permit, why not take the gun with you when you leave it for servicing? Also, a lock box under the seat would be less conspicuous than in the trunk and easier to transfer the gun to.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I am not sure of the law in PA, but I'll offer this, a dedicated car gun is just about as secure as other forms of off-body carry, and I won't use either of them.
If I do have to leave my carry gun in the vehicle, it is for the shortest amount of time possible and in a car safe under my seat.
I don't leave valuables in any of my vehicles when I am not in the vehicle, and to me a gun is one of the most valuable tools I own. Leaving one in a vehicle just isn't secure enough for me, I've had a car stolen once and fortunately my gun wasn't in it.
I am very possesive of my "children" and I don't like leaving them anywhere I am not. I know if one were stolen, and I reported it, I would still feel responsibile for anything done with it, just because I left it where it was accessible to someone else.
Just my .02, but something to think about.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a permit, why not take the gun with you when you leave it for servicing? Also, a lock box under the seat would be less conspicuous than in the trunk and easier to transfer the gun to.
I always do the "wait at the dealership" for car service. The lockbox would be to keep people who have no business with it from accessing it, and I'd remove the gun if I ever had to leave it overnight or something like that. My concern is if the car is broken into or stolen , what is my liability if a bad guy gets the gun and it's used in a robbery or murder?

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
I am not sure of the law in PA, but I'll offer this, a dedicated car gun is just about as secure as other forms of off-body carry, and I won't use either of them.
If I do have to leave my carry gun in the vehicle, it is for the shortest amount of time possible and in a car safe under my seat.
I don't leave valuables in any of my vehicles when I am not in the vehicle, and to me a gun is one of the most valuable tools I own. Leaving one in a vehicle just isn't secure enough for me, I've had a car stolen once and fortunately my gun wasn't in it.
I am very possesive of my "children" and I don't like leaving them anywhere I am not. I know if one were stolen, and I reported it, I would still feel responsibile for anything done with it, just because I left it where it was accessible to someone else.
Just my .02, but something to think about.
Ditto.

I know some people in some situations can do this, but I just can't. If I'm armed, it's attached to me and goes where I go.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would never have a "dedicated" car gun. Just wouldn't fit my circumstances, as it would be just another thing to "manage". Gun is on me or locked in a COM safe when I can't take it with me, and when I'm home, no guns left in the car.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I had a glock stolen out of my car. I don't recommend leaving your firearm in a car for any reason. Just too soft of a target.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I know some people in some situations can do this, but I just can't. If I'm armed, it's attached to me and goes where I go.
I agree. While my truck is certainly a potential "trouble spot", I won't stash a CCW there & hope I'm nearby to access it. Even just around the house, I avoid a lot of negative scenerios simply by having my (first-line) HD weapon on my person. No unauthorized access (kids), no racing the BG to the "secret drawer", no fumbling for mags while looking & listening for the BG in another room. Carry your Makarov on you! Lock it up in the car only if your visiting a legally-prohibited "Gun-Free" zone. Question - Why would waiting at a Car Dealership be reason NOT to carry concealed?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had a glock stolen out of my car. I don't recommend leaving your firearm in a car for any reason. Just too soft of a target.
Thank you, Varob. There is NO way to securely store a firearm in a motor vehicle. Any car can be prowled and any car can be stolen. Don't be fooled by the fact that "noting valuable" is visible from outside. Most crack-head car prowlers that I've dealt with are only interested in getting inside and looking around. When you add a firearm into the mix, you now have an armed car prowler or thief. Once the car, or storage box is removed from the scene, it can be opened at the thief's leisure, by the simple application of physics.

·
Registered
205 Posts
To store my guns in the car, I have a small safe by Sentry bolted to my car in the trunk. Of course if someone has plenty of time, they can bust into the keyed safe but for a smash and grab, no way, it's double bolted through the structural frame, it isn't going anywhere. But I use it to keep a couple extra guns I'll bring with me on a road trip or store all of my guns while I travel through non-reciprocity states. Right now I'm at work and I have a gun in the safe and I know it's secured.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Also remember, if you allow someone else to drive your vehicle, if they don't have a LTCF they are breaking the law (even without their knowledge) and subject to arrest.

·
Registered
513 Posts
A car gun has a niche. If you have a really long commute, what happens if/when your car breaks down on the road, esp when it's dark or in a dicey neighborhood?

You're not going to be able to carry at most workplaces. The options then become: car gun vs no gun at all all day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can see both sides to this. i can see how a car is a weak place to store a gun, but if you have made all reasonable attempts (ie safe) to secure your gun i would feel comfortable leaving it there when i had too. but it would not be a permanant storage location eather. a safe at your house can just as easly be removed. and opened later. give me 2 dozen golf balls and about 45 min (and if i have been watching your house ill know your routen along with your neighbors, and will strike while your gone. then ill open the safe when i have time. so honestly if someone wants your gun they will get it no matter where its stored. yes a car will be a little easyer but at home is not that hard eather.

·
Registered
222 Posts
...I have decided that pocket carry (LCP) is going to be my standard carry method, but it's virtually impossible to get to it while seated in the car.
I also have a LCP in a pocket holster. I just take it out of my pocket when I get in the car and place it between the seat and the door. Even if you watch me do it you can't see that it's a gun. In that position, I can easily and stealthily draw it with my left hand without alerting a potential bad guy looking into the car.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
That seems like the best option to me.
I'd have to go back and reread the OP, but wasn't he just asking about a good place to keep the gun when driving?
I think larefugee hit the nail on the head.

I also have a LCP in a pocket holster. I just take it out of my pocket when I get in the car and place it between the seat and the door. Even if you watch me do it you can't see that it's a gun. In that position, I can easily and stealthily draw it with my left hand without alerting a potential bad guy looking into the car.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I pocket carry a Kel-Tek 380 all the time, and yes I am concerned about not being able to easily draw while driving. Depending on where I’m headed, I’ll take the pistol out of my pocket and lay it in the center console, then return it to my pocket when I get out. But that means someone might see me to that. Oh well.

I don’t like leaving a weapon in the auto because I worry about some kid breaking in and stealing it and using it to do a robbery, or worse shoot someone.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
a safe at your house can just as easly be removed. and opened later. give me 2 dozen golf balls and about 45 min (and if i have been watching your house ill know your routen along with your neighbors, and will strike while your gone. then ill open the safe when i have time. so honestly if someone wants your gun they will get it no matter where its stored. yes a car will be a little easyer but at home is not that hard eather.
If a safe is properly installed, it cannot be easily removed. Properly installed means bolted to floor joists and/or wall studs, especially in a corner.

My gun safe weighs 550 pounds empty and is well over a thousand pounds with the ammo and guns in it. It is bolted to both the floor and the wall (though not in a corner). I'll gladly buy you dinner if you can easily remove it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the feedback. I've given it some thought and just don't feel good about leaving a gun in my car. I'll have to adjust my procedure, maybe pull it out when driving and re-pocket it when I get out, like was suggested by another LCP owner.

I live within a 45 minute or so drive of the People's Republik of New Jersey and it would be just my luck to forget that one time to remove it while on a trip there, and get busted by NJ's finest with a felony firearms charge. :frown:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I do leave a gun in the car, but probably wouldn't if I were in a worse neighborhood. I am not in a high crime area (granted everything is possible), and avoid places when/where my car can be easily broken into. That is the first defense to me. Other factors--I'm the only one that drives my car (no wife or kids to worry about), and if someone is in my car, I'm with them, etc etc etc. With my current lifestyle, I feel comfortable leaving it in the car, but that will probably change later in life--so you have to look at current conditions/area you will be in, etc to decide the answer to this. Not familiar with PA laws, but wanted to give an opinion to the minority side here.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts